Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2019, 06:51   #316
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Gardening experts in Team BHP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Plucked some Chiku/Sapota from a tree. 3-4 fruits at one go before empyting the holding net.

May not work for Mangoes, though.
Found these fruit pickers plus bags online (mouth of the bag has metal teeth-like structure to pluck the fruit), these may work for mangoes as well. A wooden pole can be attached as well for reach. They aren't very expensive, so planning to get one soon
https://www.amazon.in/Pepper-Agro-Gardening-Picker-Plucker/dp/B07F9JM22W

https://www.amazon.in/Picker-Basket-Picking-Catcher-Harvest/dp/B07N1JF426/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?keywords=fruit+plucker&qid=15722528 06&sprefix=fruit+pl&sr=8-9

Last edited by NPV : 29th October 2019 at 06:53.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 22:56   #317
Distinguished - BHPian

Where can I get Butter Fruit / Avocado and Dragon fruit saplings in Bangalore ?
Old 26th November 2019, 23:10   #318
BHPian

Can anyone suggest a method of keeping the 'Tulsi' plant alive in Winters (inside our home) I have to avoid keeping it near the windows (needed for sunlight) as it becomes very cold there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocimum_tenuiflorum
Old 27th November 2019, 10:09   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Can anyone suggest a method of keeping the 'Tulsi' plant alive in Winters (inside our home) I have to avoid keeping it near the windows (needed for sunlight) as it becomes very cold there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocimum_tenuiflorum
I have built a platform on lockable wheels. The large heavy planter has sensitive tropical plants, I move them around based on seasonal temperatures/direction of sunlight. Also have ramps to move these planters in and out. I also use luke warm water collected during my shower and use that on plants. Cover the surface of the plant with river rocks so that temperature and water/evaporation is controlled better.
Old 3rd January 2020, 10:20   #320
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Where can I get Butter Fruit / Avocado and Dragon fruit saplings in Bangalore ?
Not sure about Dragon fruit, but avocado you can try at Lalbagh nursery (enter from West gate at end of KH/Double Road) or any of the other nurseries around Lalbagh Siddapura area.

Someone gave us few avocados back in July 2018 and out of 3 seeds, one grew into a good sapling and is now about 4 feet tall If you aren't in a hurry, you can try this.
Old 10th February 2020, 19:27   #321
Distinguished - BHPian

I am looking for small mud pots - about 6-8 inches height. Any idea where can I get these in Bangalore ?

The idea is to grow the saplings in them till they are a little bigger, and then place the pot itself (after breaking the bottom) into the soil. This way, no need to do re-planting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Not sure about Dragon fruit, ..
Thanks, NPV. I picked up couple of Dragon fruit saplings on my recent trip to Belgaum. Wasnt a planned one, but we spotted a nursery by the road side and went it. The person had retired from Horticulture dept, so I am hoping this would be the good ones.
Old 10th February 2020, 20:01   #322
BHPian

Quote:
I am looking for small mud pots - about 6-8 inches height. Any idea where can I get these in Bangalore ?

The idea is to grow the saplings in them till they are a little bigger, and then place the pot itself (after breaking the bottom) into the soil. This way, no need to do re-planting.
You can use Coir planters, like these: https://www.amazon.in/COIR-GARDEN-Ba.../dp/B07BQ1J5NK

You can plant the saplings in ground with the whole coir planter. No need to break the bottom etc.
Old 10th February 2020, 20:56   #323
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikalp View Post
You can use Coir planters, like these:
Thanks, Vikalp. However, from the info on the item page, it looks like the roots penetrate the container - wonder if the roots will be exposed to air after this.

Reason I am looking for earthen pots is that it would take some time to move these plants to the actual spot. So I was thinking it would be better if they are contained inside the pot till then.
Old 13th February 2020, 07:50   #324
BANNED

Quote:

I live in south bangalore and there are umpteen pot and plant sellers on the main road footpaths around here. Just keep a look out when you are driving and you will see one. They usually will have a small green netted area where they keep the pots and flower plants.
Old 13th February 2020, 08:15   #325
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
I live in south bangalore and there are umpteen pot and plant sellers on the main road footpaths around here..
Hi, neighbor ! Was thinking of just that as a source. I remember one near RV Dental college, and another in 7th phase. I have checked near Banashankari temple and picked up some regular ones, but looking for a smaller size now.
Old 13th February 2020, 18:32   #326
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
... there are umpteen pot and plant sellers on the main road footpaths around here.
Checked. These people have plastic, cement and ceramic pots. No mud/earthen pots
Old 13th February 2020, 19:15   #327
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Checked. These people have plastic, cement and ceramic pots. No mud/earthen pots
Check if these coir pots suit your needs. You get them in different sizes.

https://www.amazon.in/Forgreen-Eco-F...601445&sr=8-41
Old 14th February 2020, 11:55   #328
BANNED

Quote:

Why don't you check out the nursery opposite to Lalbagh west gate, the siddapura entrance.
Old 14th February 2020, 12:12   #329
BHPian

Quote:
I suggest getting a grow bag of a suitable size.
Old 22nd February 2020, 22:14   #330
Distinguished - BHPian

Trying this out:

Black plastic pots lined with carton material cut to shape. Have placed some coconut fibre at the bottom, and then soil. These pots are quite cheap and hopefully this method will be re-usable

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-fullsizerender29.jpg

Once the plants settle down, and I have decided on the spot for the plant, will pull out the plant + soil and plant it. Hopefully the roots will not be disturbed much when I do this, and the trauma for the plant is minimised.

Most Viewed