Team-BHP - Gardening experts in Team BHP?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Gardening experts in Team BHP? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/89939-gardening-experts-team-bhp-6.html)

Guys look at my page,not exactly related to gardening but spiritual+Gardening stuff together.
http://shrikrishnablessing.weebly.com/

It's been almost 45 days when I planted Green Chillies and Tomatoes in the home garden. The plants have grown humangous and now only waiting for them to bear fruit. Will post pictures then.

I have a few plants in my balcony , I recently fired the gardner I had hired and decided to take matters into my own hands.

How do i take best care of rose plants ? There is plenty of sunlight and water since I have kept them in pots on my apartment terrace .

I water it regularly and it does yield good flowerd ocasionally .

Is there a season for rose plants ? How do I prune it to get more flowers ? I did go through a few websites , but I was not really satisfied with it .

I am against any sort of pesticides . I want to use organic manure . I usually convert kitchen waste to manure.

Few tips for gardening.
*Do not over water your plants,this I learnt after many years and after feeding less I can see excellent growth in my garden,belive me I water my plants once in 15 days after monsoon and I have a real big garden here and almost all plants are fully exposed to sunlight.
*Keep checking pH value of soil,it should be around 6 to 7,more watering will make soil acidic and less chances of growth in acidic soil,only Lemon plant will grow well if soil is below 5 mark.Yes Lemon loves acidic soil.
*Desi fertilizers are good ex.cow dung but do add little bit of Gamaxine in it,else chances are there for termites and ants etc..
*Keep checking leaves,these parts will give you first sign if something is wrong with plant/soil/root zone.

more later--

A few more from the garden,
Gardening experts in Team BHP?-dsc03675.jpg
Gardening experts in Team BHP?-dsc03677.jpg

Chreers!

Query to all: Can the used tea and coffee powder be used as manure?

Quote:

Originally Posted by volkman10 (Post 2998097)
A few more from the garden, ...

What are the flowers in the first pic called? Where did you get it from?

The second one seems to be Geraniums.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerAlte (Post 2998397)
What are the flowers in the first pic called? Where did you get it from?.

They are African Violets, would be available in most nurseries( got this from Lal Bagh), but I guess it is seasonal.

Cheers!

Some pics of our garden back home, not sure of the names of all of them.

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-dsc00616.jpg

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-dsc00617.jpg

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-dsc00622.jpg

Hibiscus, have a few more of this variety.

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-dsc00623.jpg

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-dsc00624.jpg

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-dsc00625.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by ECM (Post 2996915)
... Keep checking pH value of soil ...

How does one do that?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ECM (Post 2996915)
... Lemon loves acidic soil. ...

Assuming one knows the soil pH is >6, how does one turn it to acidic? I have a few Lemon seedlings starting off (couple of months old).

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerAlte (Post 2998500)
How does one do that?

Use Good soil pH meter,I use two in which one is Japanese make Takemura DM13 and another is batch type where I put soil sample in dis.water for analysis,this I bought from a shipsurplus.
Quote:

Originally Posted by DerAlte (Post 2998500)
Assuming one knows the soil pH is >6, how does one turn it to acidic? I have a few Lemon seedlings starting off (couple of months old).

There are many ways to make soil acidid but problem is slowly it will turn down to original values due to nature's act.Two methods-quick and slow.Quick method is dangerous and your leaves may turn yellow or show some spot of lack of nutritions if pH goes down too low coz less nutritions are available below 4-you may use Sulphur powder which will bring your pH down in 3 months,spray on the soil or mix it with the soil.
For quick results one can use Amonium sulphate-do not use Also4 else Al will work as a poison for your plants.
Better and practical idea is spread some dry leaves all over the soil near your plants,this will cover the soil and moisture will prevail inside,here feed LESS else rootrot will develop.Once leaves start mixing with soil,pH will go down.This is slow process but repeat it once in a year in your farm.for more info check fukuoka farming in google.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ECM (Post 2999591)
Use Good soil pH meter,I use two in which one is Japanese make Takemura DM13 and another is batch type where I put soil sample in dis.water for analysis,this I bought from a shipsurplus.

What is 'dis.water'? What is shipsurplus?

Happened to run into this thread. I have oft late become some kind of gardener and have about 40 potted plants. I love to google out their 'names' and have made a list of them. Some very commen plants have quaint names like 'moses in cradle', 'elephant ear', 'egyptian pentas'.

Now i want to put up a small kitchen garden in an area about 6ft x6 ft for leafy & other vegetables. Any suggestions ? What kind of veges grow easily ? Any hints on taking care of them ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by carboy (Post 2999592)
What is 'dis.water'? What is shipsurplus?

Distilled water and those material available from scrap ships known as shipsurplus.

I have a rose plant kept in a plastic pot. I have made holes in it for the excess water to seep out. Now the problem is, the plant just gives new leaves by shedding/drying off the older leaves. No flowers yet. We bought it this August. Water it daily once and in the morning it will have sunshine. Now how to get the flowers in it. Other than egg shells/onion skin, havent fed her much.