Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2017, 10:14   #211
BHPian

re: Gardening experts in Team BHP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Thanks for info guys.

We have many trees like this planted by builder in our apartment alongside boundary wall. All are very young, so i was wondering if they would grow bigger or remain small. Gulmohar i guess can grow quite big, so its good for the greenery of our apartment.
Gulmohur should be leafless in the winter months, so I believe this is the Peltophorum pterocarpum or Copper Pod, Vernacular Name :Haladi Gulmohur

https://www.google.nl/search?client=...GqbH8Afy-7KoBQ

Should bear yellow flowers in March-September, and you will be sure, as the leaves very similar to the ref flowering gulmohur
Old 28th January 2017, 11:19   #212
Senior - BHPian

With my limited space, knowledge and gardening skills I'm trying to figure out the easiest options for potting mix in my pots. Right now all my pots have regular mud / soil dug from around the house with some vermicompost thrown in. The problem is that this becomes quite hard. Some plants grow well and others look like they are having a bad day.
I was considering using some cocopeat or perlite for future plants. I'm not confident enough of repotting the present set, unless absolutely necessary.
What are your thoughts on cocopeat and perlite?
I have two small nurseries in my city and they sell mainly manured soil or mud and vermicompost.
Old 28th January 2017, 11:57   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss
With my limited space, knowledge and gardening skills I'm trying to figure out the easiest options for potting mix in my pots. Right now all my pots have regular mud / soil dug from around the house with some vermicompost thrown in. The problem is that this becomes quite hard. Some plants grow well and others look like they are having a bad day.
I was considering using some cocopeat or perlite for future plants. I'm not confident enough of repotting the present set, unless absolutely necessary.
I have two small nurseries in my city and they sell mainly manured soil or mud and vermicompost.
You need to mix your hard soil and manured soil 50/50.break them down and add coco peat before putting the mix in pots. I put about 15% cocopeat. Use small plants from nurseries that come with their own soil. Add some nitrogen to spur green growth. The bacteria in the nursery soil will spread out into the pot eventually. Its all about the top 1 inch soil.

This method has worked great for me these winters. I planted 30 pots of flowers and none failed.

P. S. in a pinch human urine diluted in water is a good source of nitrogen
Old 28th January 2017, 15:23   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
Gulmohur should be leafless in the winter months, so I believe this is the Peltophorum pterocarpum or Copper Pod, Vernacular Name :Haladi Gulmohur
In front of my house in Delhi there are at least five Gulmohar trees and they all have leaves even in Delhi cold. Anyway once the summer starts we will know from the flowers.
Old 28th January 2017, 15:25   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Hard soil is due to excessive clay, The best option is to introduce coarse sand in the mix available from any construction site. To be ensure that the sand does not have any chemicals or salt, wash it with water a couple of times, easiest method is to put the sand in a jute bag and pour water from the top.

Last edited by Aroy : 28th January 2017 at 15:28.
Old 18th March 2017, 17:08   #216
Senior - BHPian

So my next gardening query:
I bought (what I thought was called) ball cactus and it was doing well. It was in a small pot and was nice and green. It received plenty of direct sunshine - in fact its become summer here.
Watering was prudent and I never overwatered.
Suddenly this happened (as shown in picture).
Any idea what upset this fellow so much that he blew his top?
Gardening experts in Team BHP?-img_20170309_174541.jpg

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-img_20170309_174534.jpg
Old 9th April 2017, 10:09   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Hi Guys,

I live in Bangalore outskirts near Gottigere, Bannerghatta road, in a layout where there are hardly any trees and our site is West facing.
Our house is in the same lane as electric pole and sewage line. But i want to plant two saplings in front of our house only which can grow during a period of time to trees and which can provide shelter and nice breeze during summers.

Kindly guide me on which plant saplings should i grow and any guide as to where i can get it would also be helpful.

Many thanks.
I am also looking for similar info on tree which can be planted in home garden for shade. They should not have big roots. I am not able to decide. I live in Bangalore. People at Nursery have little or no help.
Old 10th May 2017, 09:27   #218
BHPian

Can anyone pls refer manual lawn mower for Mexican grass lawn? I am looking for one which can be repaired easily in future
Old 10th May 2017, 09:39   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal View Post
Can anyone pls refer manual lawn mower for Mexican grass lawn? I am looking for one which can be repaired easily in future
There are two types available
. Wheel traction
. Roller Traction

I have personally found that the cheaper ones are the best as they are usually have simple mechanicals. Here are a few ling that you can peruse

http://www.amazon.in/dp/B06XCJGQB9/r...rds=lawn+mover
https://www.tolexo.com/unison-junior...009033955.html
Old 2nd August 2017, 09:58   #220
BHPian

I have some vermicompost to give away. I guess gardening gurus may be interested.

Check the post on giveaway thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
Want to give away about 4 kgs to begin with. Rest is planned to be given away to some people in my housing soc.

Also happy to give away some worms if anyone wants to start vermicompost.

Last edited by freedom : 2nd August 2017 at 10:04.
Old 14th August 2017, 08:58   #221
Distinguished - BHPian

if any one requires vermicompost in large quantities in Bangalore, pls let me know. A person I know makes this on his farm near Hessaraghatta,
Old 5th November 2017, 08:37   #222
Team-BHP Support

Need suggestion on planting small trees at my home which would cover the view from outside and provide privacy. It should be tall/thick for a 2 floor house. I can do without fruit trees else the street kids may throw stones to pluck the fruits. Trees with minimum maintenance.

Thanks
Old 5th November 2017, 08:44   #223
BANNED

I have an aloe vera potted plant. What kind of treatment does it need? More water, less water? More sunshine, less sunshine? Does it need fertilizer?
Old 5th November 2017, 17:16   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Need suggestion on planting small trees at my home which would cover the view from outside and provide privacy. It should be tall/thick for a 2 floor house. I can do without fruit trees else the street kids may throw stones to pluck the fruits. Trees with minimum maintenance.

Thanks
How about bamboo ? It can form a 'screen' quite quickly and easily. Try and look for the thinner shorter ornamental type varieties. We have some of the common variety growing in our garden since 4 odd years and most of it grows to about 2nd and 3rd story on average with 3 inch thick stems
Old 13th February 2018, 11:26   #225
Senior - BHPian

A few more of my random, sporadic queries:
1. I managed to surprisingly grow some potato plants that are about 10 weeks old. They have started slowly withering. I dug a bit and got a couple of small potatoes. When is the ideal time to harvest them? If I wait longer will I get bigger potatoes or rotten ones? Present size is about 5 cm.
2. I am considering using dried leaves and veg peelings for preparing compost. I only have a small balcony and cannot afford it to stink. I am also quite lazy and would prefer something easy to use. will amazon be a good friend to buy some of these compost bins (aerobic vs anaerobic, etc).
More random questions later...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks