Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2020, 20:49   #346
Senior - BHPian

Re: Gardening experts in Team BHP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I have been trying grass seeds, but they just dont work :(

If any one has found success with growing grass from seeds, please let us know
Oh that's unfortunate. The buildings garden budget is tight so only seeds would fit the cost/labour balance right now.

Lots of weeds in the current lawn. Plan was to dry it off during summer then add mud and fertilizer and sprinkle seeds of grass just before the monsoon
Old 5th March 2020, 21:06   #347
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Oh that's unfortunate. The buildings garden budget is tight so only seeds would fit the cost/labour balance right now.
A less expensive option than getting the full area of carpeting:

Get a small quantity of lawn carpet, Cut it into small pieces and spread this over the lawn area. Add fertilizer & watering as usual. It will take time, but will spread. The grass will take some time but will eventually cover the area.

Though I have said small pieces, I was told to actually separate them and plant them into the (moistened) soil.

(We had a fairly large requirement, and didnt want to spend 1000's for that. We were quoted about 11-12 per sq ft of lawn, excl transportation)
Old 26th March 2020, 11:07   #348
Distinguished - BHPian

We have a Singapore Cherry tree that has a sentimental value. After some years of neglect due to other reasons, found that the trunk had weakened. Didnt want to lose it, so tried an air-layering. First time the roots came out well, the stalk was long but I went wrong with the transplanting.

Another attempt last month - 2 weeks or so to let the roots develop, and then moved it to a pot. After 2 weeks in shade, moved the pot to a slightly more sunny spot. Now, another 2 weeks and the plant looks to be holding well:
Gardening experts in Team BHP?-img_20200326_105916.jpg

The original leaves have dried away, the one berry is still holding, though.

Last edited by condor : 26th March 2020 at 11:13.
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 15:29   #349
BHPian

Slightly deviating from the topic here.
Quick update on the work done in lockdown 2.0
I had ample of free time and hence chose to help parent with manual labouring for layering of river rocks to make a path in the garden, and on the other side, where rain water tends to accumulate, we layered it completely. Rest as usual, cow dung manure was spread all around.

We had a few old car tyres lying around and decided to do some decorative work. Two tyres were painted and placed on one side in front of home and one was cut up with an angle grinder in one third to make a hanging pot, while other section was buried partially. I plan to grow some climbers there.
Why tyres? Because it's an auto enthusiasts home after all.

Here are some photos for your perusal
Attached Thumbnails
Gardening experts in Team BHP?-reduced_img_20200503_13210101_16088.jpg  

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-reduced_img_20200503_13205601_93940.jpg  

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-reduced_img_20200503_13204901_43140.jpg  

Torq is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st May 2020, 13:40   #350
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Folks need some gyan from experts here
We have a coconut tree in our garden and with no one who can take care in a regular basis (skilled tree climbers are difficult to find in urban areas), we have coconuts, branches and fronds falling down frequently and is becoming painful to maintain. Add to this the fact that it's just 3-4 feet away from the boundary wall of the neighbor, could become a threat to their building and safety. I'm not sure if the tree is really healthy or not.
Would like to get some reliable professional contacts in Bangalore who can evaluate and have the tree removed. Would prefer someone with knowledge, experience and appropriate tools (avoid too much manual work and ensure safety of the workers and our buildings).
Old 1st June 2020, 06:14   #351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Would like to get some reliable professional contacts in Bangalore who can evaluate and have the tree removed. Would prefer someone with knowledge, experience and appropriate tools (avoid too much manual work and ensure safety of the workers and our buildings).
Please share me your contacts and location in a PM. If feasible can get this to be maintained in frequent intervals else suggest a person for removal.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 13:06   #352
BHPian

Can you experts suggest a few fragrant plants for both, indoor and outdoor purpose, for an apartment? We already have frangipani and a mogra plant, along with a little lemongrass plant by the kitchen sil. We're looking for something for the bedrooms and the balconies attached with them.
Old 1st July 2020, 16:39   #353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Thank you. I will try this.

I am still not able to understand where is the source of so many seeds for the weeds to keep popping up!!
This is a late reply!
If you are adding cow, sheep or chicken manure then they can have dormant seeds in them. If you are adding compost which has not been properly processed then that can be source of weeds.

And do not forget the air borne seeds of weeds. If you have weeds nearby then they can float into pots.
Old 1st July 2020, 16:44   #354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
Can you experts suggest a few fragrant plants for both, indoor and outdoor purpose, for an apartment? We already have frangipani and a mogra plant, along with a little lemongrass plant by the kitchen sil. We're looking for something for the bedrooms and the balconies attached with them.
Michelia Alba also known as Shweta Champa. Cannot beat the perfume of this plant. It is not same as yellow Champa which is common.

Only morning sun for this plant in summers.

The biggest issue in keeping it inside is humidity. Homes have low humidity which works against the plant.
Old 23rd July 2020, 14:48   #355
BHPian

Any Succulent fans in the house?
Recently I got bit by this bug. Have about 4-5 of these in different varieties. Repotted just the one which had a crack.
Gardening experts in Team BHP?-img20200707wa000801.jpeg

Learning to propagate as well
Gardening experts in Team BHP?-20200723_144304.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
Can you experts suggest a few fragrant plants for both, indoor and outdoor purpose, for an apartment?
IMO flowering plants do not grow well indoors. Even with plenty of indirect sunlight, they will not flower. I have madhu malati since past two months now which has plenty of flowers and smells incredible.

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-20200723_145315.jpg

Hydrangea are also flowering indorsy types. But no fragrance.
Here's mine clicked on the day I bought it. Now it has three such bushels of flowers.

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-20200723_145258.jpg

Last edited by Torq : 23rd July 2020 at 14:59.
Torq is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 16:41   #356
BHPian

Some plants collection
Gardening experts in Team BHP?-img_20200820_081139.jpg

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-img_20200820_081153.jpg

Curry leaf a must have in a South Indian Home.
Gardening experts in Team BHP?-img_20200820_081404.jpg
Vinod_nair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 19:39   #357
Distinguished - BHPian

Tomato plants: Growing in full sun and water( twice a day), on terrace.

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-img_20200821_121412.jpg

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-img_20200821_121349.jpg

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-img_20200821_121359.jpg

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-img_20200821_121336.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 10:44   #358
BHPian

Dont know if this is the right thread for it, but here goes. Over the past few months, we (as in our neighborhood) have had an invasion of sorts. All the houses in our area have medium sized yards and plenty of trees. We have around 4 mango trees, 2 sapota (chiku) and some others. There used to be plenty of squirrels and birds of all kinds.

But over the past few months, these big red ants have kinda moved into our area and have covered all the trees. I think they are weaver ants, because they make some sort of enclosed nests with tree leaves. They seem to have taken over all the trees in our yard and we can find them everywhere, on the tree branches, on the ground, on the walls. Even our neighbours report the same. Since they've moved in, all the squirrels have disappeared and there are far fewer birds than before.

Currently they seem to want to invade our home as well!

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-img20200829wa0004.jpg

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-img20200829wa0005.jpg

Anyone has any ideas about these buggers? Someone suggested mixing jaggery in water and spraying the trees, so as to attract other species of ants to drive these ones away. Not sure how that will work out.
Old 31st August 2020, 12:11   #359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Tomato plants: Growing in full sun and water( twice a day), on terrace.
Great! Can you please show the pot size you used for these tomato plants?
Thanks.
Old 31st August 2020, 13:05   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
Dont know if this is the right thread for it, but here goes. Over the past few months, we (as in our neighborhood) have had an invasion of sorts. All the houses in our area have medium sized yards and plenty of trees. We have around 4 mango trees, 2 sapota (chiku) and some others. There used to be plenty of squirrels and birds of all kinds.

But over the past few months, these big red ants have kinda moved into our area and have covered all the trees. I think they are weaver ants, because they make some sort of enclosed nests with tree leaves. They seem to have taken over all the trees in our yard and we can find them everywhere, on the tree branches, on the ground, on the walls. Even our neighbours report the same. Since they've moved in, all the squirrels have disappeared and there are far fewer birds than before.

Currently they seem to want to invade our home as well!

Attachment 2049737

Attachment 2049738

Anyone has any ideas about these buggers? Someone suggested mixing jaggery in water and spraying the trees, so as to attract other species of ants to drive these ones away. Not sure how that will work out.
I have heard people talk well about Amish spray - its available on Amazon. you can give it a try.

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07...MEE0F855&psc=1
LonelyPlanet is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed