Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2010, 14:24   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Then comes the reaction, he puts on his right indicator indicating that he is going to stay there!
Anil, some people use the right indicator on highways as a signal asking you to overtake freely. I believe that's what the Alto driver intended here. Although he was expecting you to overtake from the left and that might not have been ideal. This is a common method followed by trucks/large trailers and the Alto driver might have picked up this little habit from them.
Old 27th October 2010, 14:29   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I'm getting the picture what you guys are saying & that's the reason I keep saying, education is first & enforcement must be strict.
My wife & I were discussing in the middle of this mayhem this morning, how the Delhi Police are utterly apathetic to the whole enforcement thingy.

When the CWG was on, they deputed 20 cops on a two kilometer stretch just to make life difficult for anyone straying into the CWG lanes. Yet, in normal times, they cannot patrol a 5 km stretch in a Gypsy to enforce lane discipline.

The problem is - no one is willing to even accept that they are in the wrong lane. That's where it starts.
Old 27th October 2010, 14:37   #48
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Boy!!! are you sure on this? If I were the driver, I would've challenged the cop (hehe, I don't dare that in India). If the speed limit is 65 mph & what's wrong in driving at 65-70 mph on the right most lane? As long as I keep the minimum speed limit, why should the cop bother me? Getting my point?
As long as traffic doesn't build up behind you it's fine in US. Else it's FINE.
My friend got a 100 dollar ticket for holding up traffic on the I95 south doing 70 mph on a 70 mph road driving on the passing lane.
You can't challenge the cops on anything there unless, there's some serious lapse in their line of duty. They are not the kinds who stand in traffic signals with a danda in their hand.
They have pretty much covered all laws when they pull you over.
And if you hold traffic back and there's a build-up, any irate passenger behind can call 911 or air support stating that you are holding up traffic even if you are doing 70 on a 70 road.
Tanveer's friend was lucky to have got off with a warning for holding up traffic, may be because it was CA. In FL, there's a fine for it.

@anilisanil. With scorps around, don't get the "Uncle" killed. This is a pretty dangerous manouver to do than what I "attempted" in kaas.

You may zoom past, but the scorp might hit that "uncle's" vehicle.
I still feel bad for the road rage I got at kaas momentarily.
Old 27th October 2010, 14:42   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
When I gave the california..."Blocking the right lane is obstruction of traffic"
Yep; I get the point. Also I've seen several vehicles moving as a group in high speed & no one getting the ticket. Agree with you on the moving traffic speed & not blocking.

But sadly, this is India & most people have got the license even without visiting RTO, so this is their expected behaviour. Not to mention how the lorry cleaners get their education from!!!

Every morning I see some learners car driving on both the lanes. If this is how they learn, then how can we blame them on all these accounts, be it express way or city roads?

According to them, "I'm like this only"
Old 27th October 2010, 15:00   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanrvce View Post
Anil, some people use the right indicator on highways as a signal asking you to overtake freely. I believe that's what the Alto driver intended here.
He did this after at least a minute of pestering behind him. I have a free lane to left of me, I just did not want to forego my right of way. My point was that he could switch to left lane unless he has a faulty steering that does not turn at all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
@anilisanil. With scorps around, don't get the "Uncle" killed. This is a pretty dangerous manouver to do than what I "attempted" in kaas.

You may zoom past, but the scorp might hit that "uncle's" vehicle.
I still feel bad for the road rage I got at kaas momentarily.
No sir, you know me, I am a very defensive driver myself. But just got pissed by this attitude. I would have let him be if the road were to be crowded. It was just that I got a chance to vent out! I still believe mine was any day less dangerous than yours. Kiran closed her eyes when you were "attempting" at your road rage!! I loved it, though!
Old 27th October 2010, 15:23   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
My...The problem is - no one is willing to even accept that they are in the wrong lane. That's where it starts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
As long as...that you are holding up traffic even if
But what do guys? We've to live with this otherwise we need to keep venting out here.

Have you guys observed this irony? On the road, these morons drive at 40 & 60 & if you ask them why do you drive like this, they say you need to have patience & drive slow. These are the same morons who jump signals without any patience. How do you account for this double standards?

Trust me guys, TN, AP & KA is nothing less what you're witnessing. Same applies for enforcement too.
Old 27th October 2010, 15:29   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But what do guys? We've to live with this otherwise we need to keep venting out here.

Have you guys observed this irony? On the road, these morons drive at 40 & 60 & if you ask them why do you drive like this, they say you need to have patience & drive slow. These are the same morons who jump signals without any patience. How do you account for this double standards?

Trust me guys, TN, AP & KA is nothing less what you're witnessing. Same applies for enforcement too.

Precisely!! On my way to office today, a blue M800 was hogging up a two laned route leading to vehicles trying to overtake it block the on coming vehicles! I overtook him only to find the moron talking on mobile.

I turned ahead where there is always this long line of vehicles waiting for the signal to clear and while I was waiting I see this same M800 jumping the line.

Seriously, I sometimes wish my car's equipped with bazookas, just blow away the ones who behave like that! These people are pain in the neck.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Abusive language – whether used directly or indirectly - is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. A decent communication protocol must be adhered to. Foul language and use of abusive words/photographs in posts/avatars/signatures/topics is STRICTLY prohibited.

Last edited by n_aditya : 29th October 2010 at 09:42.
Old 27th October 2010, 16:19   #53
BHPian

Quote:
My question would be, is it written in law (or even in west) that the right most lane (and left most in west for RHS drive) is reserved for overtaking only? I don't think so.
Correct. There is a logical reasoning of lanes near the median be used for fast traffic. The outer lanes are typically the entry/exit lanes and would have traffic merging/demerging from it. It's a convention carried over from 2 either side lane roads.
Quote:
So unless its in law, why would one want to follow?
Quote:
What's wrong on switching lanes & driving? I don't understand? Why should I expect the entire world to make my driving easier? The truckers occupying 2 lanes one at 60 Kmph & other at 62 Kmph, well I agree is moronic deed, but otherwise?
Agree. My driving is based on manoevering space, vehicles around me and frequent RVM looks. If safe on all fronts I overtake from any side. Expecting clear right lanes and obliging vehicles in front has become a wish list. Also I stick to the right lane if I don't see vehicles approaching behind me and move to center when I do see one. Quite a few times, the vehicle speeding behind me has already decided to overtake me from left. I don't introduce ambiguity by switching and it doing the same.
Old 27th October 2010, 16:39   #54
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

There is another element some of you are missing. Even what tanveer says, applies to intercity highways like NH1 - where there's sufficient space to overtake. or to vacate the rightmost lane. The other extreme is the (inner) RingRoad in Delhi, where's there's three lanes - one for merging/separating traffic, two lanes which continue up/down flyovers. On that road, I accept and stick quietly behind the lane hogs (esp because the speed limits are 50 or so).

My personal peeve is a bit more specific - The gurgaon expressway : its different. 4 lanes of awesome road spoilt by the behavior succinctly described by Suman. Then as aargee says switching lanes is the option, but when enough cars at 90-100 kph do that, then it becomes chaotic. All because of a handful of lane hogs pottering along at 60-70 kph in the rightmost lane.
Old 27th October 2010, 17:10   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Post edited. Please do not post your driving experiences which qualify as rash/careless/irresponsible driving behavior.

I am sorry, though I strongly feel that my behaviour with respect to the situation described was never rash/carless/irresponsible.
Old 27th October 2010, 19:16   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

Coming back - The speed limit on the expressway is 90 kph. So anyone doing 90-100 kph is not really out of line practically.

Let me recap in a more neutral tone so that we can all discuss in a more calm manner:
The Gurgaon expressway has FOUR lanes, with the speed limit at 90. There are a multitude of lane hogs any given day who will crawl in the rightmost lane at 60-70 kph. I have no issues with guys in that lane doing 80 and above. Anyone doing 60-70 in that lane (or even lesser) forces others to change lanes at speeds in the vicinity of 90-100 kph which makes the road unsafer. How should one deal with such people?
ok, so now if the speed limit is 90kph, and the ungle in the right most lane is going at 90, you want him to vacate the lane by swerving to the right, so others can go even faster? Remember: He is going as fast as the rules permit!

We cant make up rules as we go along.

Quote:
Roy - Let's not label people as speed demons or anything. Those are practical daily speeds on the expressway. Haven't even you done similar: Almost getting toppled while taking a turn at 90 kph on the way to Jawhar? Aren't you a speed demon too?
But those incidents was when i was on the Gypsy / Bullet. Everybody makes way for the Gypsy / Bullet - or atleast thats what the ad-fellows say!

PS: I really must get down to cleaning out my blogs. Getting out hit-wicket too many times now!
Old 27th October 2010, 20:05   #57
Senior - BHPian

Its a wish list to want people to move to the left when you want to overtake. If the slow guy going in the front is pro active he ll move the moment he see's a fast car approaching in the rear view mirror, if you reach near him and he has still not moved, the best thing to do would be to show the left indicator and mush on without slowing.

I overtake from the extreme left lane, center or right , where ever I find space. It becomes impossible to keep applying brakes and waiting for half a century for someone to move, of course the swift with its brilliant handling just makes it easier.
Old 27th October 2010, 20:22   #58
BHPian

I have seen this happening in US as well. On my way to florida, have seen lot of people hogging the fast lane at max speed and not give way to the faster car. The faster cars just switch lanes and move on. They do not wait or force the guy to move out of the way. But if a cop see this fast lane hogging behavior, they sure stops that guy and give a warning or a ticket.
Old 27th October 2010, 20:29   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Seriously, I sometimes wish my car's equipped with bazookas, just blow away the ones who behave like that!
+1
Everyday, everywhere I see ppl talking on mobile when riding, driving, day, night, noon. I seriously feel something needs to be done through the service providers. Probably something like the line gets disconnected when the mobile keeps moving or something. Its really high time. Unless people stop talking & start doing something constructively, the fate of this country will worsen still

Quote:
Even what tanveer says, applies to intercity highways like NH1 - where there's sufficient space to overtake.
NH4, NH5, NH7, NH45, NH46, SH55 - these are the frequent highways I take, I see these happening on all these highways. All of them are 4 lanes (including the SH55) & in some places they're even 6 lanes. Personally if you ask my @phamilyman, I feel like throwing up a boulder when someone drives occupying two lanes (like the roadrunner show). I've lost several weekends & days years ago when trying to point out these to people, getting into argument. Now days, I shrug off. Like Suman says, no one is willing to even accept their mistake. Its a vicious cycle as the root becomes education & enforcement. But what to do? Be a roman when in rome!!!

Best thing I can do is being the change that I want to see.

Last edited by aargee : 27th October 2010 at 20:33.
Old 27th October 2010, 20:46   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
When I gave the california drivers license written test.
There was a question
Q. When merging on the highway, what should be your speed
1. Below speed limit
2. Above speed limit
3. Speed limit
4. As fast as traffic on highway

The correct answer was number 4

This is how laws are defined there w.r.t speed.
Going above the speed limit will get you pulled over, but only if you are doing it faster than others.

That said, the right lane is the overtaking lane. You are supposed to give way if you are going in right lane.
You are not a cop, You do not have the right to slow down somebody not obeying the law.
you should obey the law which says "Blocking the right lane is obstruction of traffic"
Yep! Let me quote an incident from the USA. Anyone who has stayed in Atlanta for a while will be familiar with 285 - that the 5 lane either side ring road around Atlanta. Posted limit is 55 mph while the reality is, slowest traffic moves at atleast 60. Some students, maybe to promote safe driving were driving 5 cars abreast at 55 mph. Pretty soon the traffic piled up behind them. The traffic cops cited them for obstructing traffic with the reasoning, civilians are not required to regulate traffic. If anybody is breaking the law by speeding, traffic cops are required to catch and determine if it was justified.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks