Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2010, 17:43   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Dear Sir,

I don't believe that writing to filmmaker will make any difference. Regarding publicity, all publicity isn't good publicity.

And on the other hand, because of this campaign, a few educated people, like you, might refrain from seeing movie after you know what does it stand for.

Nitin
Hi Nitin,

You have every right to protest if you find it offensive. For a film without any USP other than crass humor, any extra attention aka buzz (whether negative or positive) will only serve to benefit the film. However this is just my opinion. I wouldn't have watched this garbage anyway.

regards
Wolfheart
Old 27th October 2010, 17:52   #17
Team-BHP Support

Courts have given stay orders of far less severe violations.
I suggest that the association files for a stay order against the movies release.
Old 27th October 2010, 22:30   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Courts have given stay orders of far less severe violations.
I suggest that the association files for a stay order against the movies release.
We are doing that. Filed a petition for stay order in Nainital high court today which is up fr hearing tomorrow.

As soon as we get the verdict, we will file another petition in supreme court for a pan-India ban.

Regards

Nitin
Old 27th October 2010, 22:49   #19
Senior - BHPian

I have a contrarian opinion on this.

I believe we are "offended" far too easily. This is what comedians do everywhere, this is their job. Even Indian origin comedians make fun of us (along with every other race under the sun), but if they attempt such thing in India, there will be uproar.
Old 27th October 2010, 23:04   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
I have a contrarian opinion on this.

I believe we are "offended" far too easily. This is what comedians do everywhere, this is their job. Even Indian origin comedians make fun of us (along with every other race under the sun), but if they attempt such thing in India, there will be uproar.
Buddy,

I believe that there is a difference in making fun of some community, somebody's ethnicity, accent etc and making fun of somebody's physical disability.

As far as I remember, I have never seen a hollywood movie/US comedian making fun of a person's physical disability.

Regards

Nitin
Old 27th October 2010, 23:12   #21
Senior - BHPian

First of all, my deep respects to the people who initiated this movement, those who have signed and those who shall sign the petition.
I am happy that this is finally happening.

In Golmaal 1, not only handicaps , even rape had been ridiculed!
Initially one might feel like laughing at those scenes but we ought to be mature enough to understand that it is in bad taste and highly insensitive to make humour out of disabilities and the eventual consequences faced by handicapped people once irresponsible and insensitive audiences watch the movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
What about comic portrayals of dumb ppl, short ppl, dark ppl, different accent, language, clothes etc? <= none of which is again under the person's control.
Sadly, all of this has been rampant in movies, especially earlier ones. Thanks for pointing out.

Last edited by Jayabusa : 27th October 2010 at 23:16.
Old 27th October 2010, 23:27   #22
Senior - BHPian

1) There are more implications that just entertainment. We Indians get associated with films or rather give a lot of space of our brains to films.
Example is that if a person speaks honestly in front of teacher, the teacher would say " Whether you have taken this cue from 3 idiots ".

One thing that cannot be ignored is that most of Indian citizens gets associated with films.

In Practical real life situations, if a kid has seen this movie and has a classmate/friend who stammers, the kid will react in similar way like " speak fast, else the thing will get over ".

Nitin is correct here that it sends a negative message in society that is so much influenced by films.

After cricket its films that influences Indian public the most. There is certain amount of responsibility. This is a thing being taken too far off.

2) For entertainment purpose things are fine, we had seen in part 1 and may be part 2. But have a look at Kaante movie in which a person acts as a human who stammers. That is entertainment or a movie, this golmal remake is a cheap job.

I am against this fun being taken too far.

I accept that I have stammering problem and friends have made fun of me. I know what effect others have. I was even asked to perform with stuttering like Shahrukh Khan does saying Kiran ( I was asked to perform and say kkkk...iran as if I am a joker and eventually I was called in another way, friends would make fun by saying kiran. Though this stopped, a negative impression does lie in my memory ). That was the extent to which people made fun of me.

Thinking of any other kid with stammering being made fun of does hurt me, and with movies like this, the negative thing is bound to happen.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 27th October 2010 at 23:30.
Old 28th October 2010, 09:56   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
making fun of somebody's physical disability.

As far as I remember, I have never seen a hollywood movie/US comedian making fun of a person's physical disability.
Everyone gets picked on, disability / sexual preferences / religion anything at all. Even disabled comedians pick up on themselves.

I think we need to learn to laugh at ourselves.
Old 28th October 2010, 10:09   #24
BHPian

Quote:
I think we need to learn to laugh at ourselves.
Try telling this to a 10 year old kid, who is made fun of by class bullies due to his stammering.

Nitin
Old 28th October 2010, 10:09   #25
BHPian

I support this initiate and have signed the petition
Old 28th October 2010, 10:21   #26
Senior - BHPian

I have signed the petition. This is crass comedy at its worst. Sad that the actors or director does not think beyond making money for themselves.

@NetfreakBombay. It may be easy for an adult and mature person to accept such things and other adult and mature people will not make fun of it in the first place. But when this kind of ridiculing happens to young children, it can completely destroy their self respect and confidence.

If someone is perfectly ok physically & mentally and still people make fun of that person's clothes, color, language etc. it is easier for the parents/elders to make the child understand and ignore such ridiculing. But not so with physically challenged people.
Old 28th October 2010, 10:23   #27
BHPian

The question is would the director have portrayed this character if his son/daughter had a similar problem? Would he say that the stammering by his kids inspired the character? I remember seeing a movie called cable guy by Jim Carrey. The character spoke with a lisp but I don't think there were any crude humor about the character having a lisp.
Old 28th October 2010, 10:51   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I
+1

I don't care if the movie make fun of stutterers or whatever.
I as a kid used to stutter, i was made fun of, i didnt care, now i don't sutter.
Now there are people who make fun of people who can't walk properly/langda, now i'm one and i don't care, it can happen to anyone.

What if the character in the movie is dumb and he stutters? Haven't we seen characters who don't stutter but are dumb? Arent there people who stutter but are sharp? There are all kinds and its a movie, someone's fruit of imagination or lack of it. If someone finds it worth spending their cash on let them and let them enjoy/not enjoy. Why losing sleep over a movie and how a character is in that movie?

What about other media and print media where people are made fun of based on whatever the guy making fun of could think of? What about Northies referring to Southies in the movie as Madrasis? But i, sir, am not from Madras, i'm from Thirontharam.

Getting too politically correct is not going to be fun. People are getting too soft, does the stutterers and stammerers of India needs protection? I don't know i'm not one. But if i was asked this Q when i was one as a kid and n early teens i would've said, "No Sir, i don't need you to defend me, i can very well take care of myself" and not get hurt and say yes lets go and send them a court notice for making fun of me.

A BIIIG I find the whole political correctness thingy too funny.
Old 28th October 2010, 11:03   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
+1

I don't care if the movie make fun of stutterers or whatever.
I as a kid used to stutter, i was made fun of, i didnt care, now i don't sutter.
Now there are people who make fun of people who can't walk properly/langda, now i'm one and i don't care, it can happen to anyone.

What if the character in the movie is dumb and he stutters? Haven't we seen characters who don't stutter but are dumb? Arent there people who stutter but are sharp? There are all kinds and its a movie, someone's fruit of imagination or lack of it. If someone finds it worth spending their cash on let them and let them enjoy/not enjoy. Why losing sleep over a movie and how a character is in that movie?

What about other media and print media where people are made fun of based on whatever the guy making fun of could think of? What about Northies referring to Southies in the movie as Madrasis? But i, sir, am not from Madras, i'm from Thirontharam.

Getting too politically correct is not going to be fun. People are getting too soft, does the stutterers and stammerers of India needs protection? I don't know i'm not one. But if i was asked this Q when i was one as a kid and n early teens i would've said, "No Sir, i don't need you to defend me, i can very well take care of myself" and not get hurt and say yes lets go and send them a court notice for making fun of me.

A BIIIG I find the whole political correctness thingy too funny.
No sir, it is not about being politically correct. It is about making fun of my disability.

Kudos to you, that you don't mind such things. But I would be very uncomfortable in watching such trash with my kids. Kids are very impressionable, and this would give her a very wrong perception about stutterers. And spare a thought about kids who stutter, how funny it would be for them?

I am surprised at the reaction by some of the members. You guys make it sound like it's nothing and equate it with jokes on a particular community.

People thought slavery, colonialism, child marriage, widow-burning, honour-killing, rape - all this- is FINE, for centuries. They also thought it fine to shoot Gandhi, crucify Jesus and many more things for which their progeny is ASHAMED today.

Just ask yourself: is it okay to make fun of disability in media? If answer is no- say so wherever you can - no matter what the world thinks or says.. Simple.

I believe that people who support our cause, represents the future of humanity..not the "crowd"..

Regards

Nitin
Old 28th October 2010, 11:06   #30
BHPian

I wonder why you have filed an application in Nanital, when you yourself are in Delhi and the people associated with the film are in Mumbai. And I wonder why you are on every single forum saying the same thing.

I am a Gujju and we are made fun of in every other film. I am sure the sardars feel the same way and so do most South Indians. I dont take it seriously...anyway there was a petition to remove the name barber from the movie billu barber, why because its derogatory to barbers?????

There were a hundred other cases on various movies and actors, for dancing to a song, for wearing some clothes, for being part of an ad and for any other reason that someone fancies.

Bottom line, the movie may be crass and the scenes may not show stammering in good light, but I do see the world today anyway being far to rough for our kids. Its a dog eat dog world and the sooner you can get your kids to accept that, the better. I have a few friends that stammer and I dont make fun of them, but they have all worked very hard to reduce it to a large extent and are today successful in thier own fields. they faced the same issues that you talk of as well, more than 20 years ago, without all of us even having heard of Golmal.....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks