Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2010, 11:44   #1
BHPian

Humiliating portrayal of stammerers in Hindi movie - Golmaal 3

Hi,

Some of you must have seen promos of a forthcoming Hindi movie – Golmal 3 These promos portray stutterers in a very bad light, like they are dim-wits of people with less intelligence.

I consider myself quite thick-skinned and am not usually offended. But this was plain tasteless and offensive. I would be very uncomfortable if I watch it with my kids. What they will think about me?

These kind of trashy movies aren’t my scene and I haven’t seen any movies from this director; but my wife told me that this director has a history of making fun of people’s handicaps. In his earlier movies, he had used a blind couple and a guy who cannot speak as props.

We cannot let this go on forever. Somewhere we will have to take a stand, and put a stop to this kind of crap. I am a founder trustee of an NGO - The Indian Stammering Association (Welcome to The Indian Stammering Association) and we are filing a petition to stay the release of this movie.

Other than this we are also running an online petition against it. Please read and sign the petition and forward it to your friends/family/colleagues. We need as many signature as we can to make an impact.

Petition - Humiliating portrayal of a person who stammers in Golmal 3 Petition

Regards

Nitin

Last edited by ntomer : 27th October 2010 at 11:45.
Old 27th October 2010, 12:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

Agree with you ntomer, i feel it is over done to the max! and certainly dont see any humor in it.
Old 27th October 2010, 12:14   #3
BHPian

I completely agree with you, all the previous releases of this movie were crap, in this they have gone a step forward and even copied scenes from "Wild Hogs - 2007", no creativity, just copy and paste to make those laugh who might not have seen the original movie which is actually hilarious.
Old 27th October 2010, 12:31   #4
Senior - BHPian

@ntomer,

Now that you have pointed it out, I can certainly understand your outrage.

I must confess that, till now, I had found those scenes funny. May be because stammering is not considered as a handicap, as much as blindness or other pronounced physical handicaps and people do take liberty with such jokes.

But, I agree that it is completely tasteless and inappropriate to make use of any handicap as butt of joke. I am signing your petition.
Old 27th October 2010, 12:37   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
@ntomer,

Now that you have pointed it out, I can certainly understand your outrage.
But, I agree that it is completely tasteless and inappropriate to make use of any handicap as butt of joke. I am signing your petition.
@ntomer,

+1 to what RX135 has said. I have signed the petition.

Saw "jhoota hi sahi" where John Abraham starts stammerring just for the heck of it to woo a girl. Real bad taste. Funny part is the girl falls for this saying stammering is cute. God knows what size is the director's brain?
Old 27th October 2010, 12:56   #6
Team-BHP Support

Not just stammering, bollywood tries to make fun any every disabled person. Even people from different communities are stereotyped in the name of entertainment.
I made this post long time back
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1121335-post17.html

I feel the reason for this is culture, or popular Indian culture. People pay money to laugh at jokes directed at differently abled people.

In real life also, people with any disability are made to run pillar to post, and majority of govt buildings do not even have access for wheelchairs etc.,

So do not blame the movie, blame your countrymen, who think people with any sort of disability, whether its speech, mind or physical need to be in zoos rather than the society.

Of course many may feel offended by generalized statements, but remember, people on this forum along with their peers and colleagues etc., constitute around .001% of the sample size of India population, and are nowhere qualified to be considered a majority.

So see majority please go watch the movie and see people enjoy and laugh at such portrayal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
@God knows what size is the director's brain?
Much bigger, figuratively speaking, than many of us. After all he knows how to milk the audience..

Last edited by tsk1979 : 27th October 2010 at 12:58.
Old 27th October 2010, 13:47   #7
BHPian

I have signed the petition.
Old 27th October 2010, 13:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

Agree with you man. I have signed the petition.
Old 27th October 2010, 14:11   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Not just stammering, bollywood tries to make fun any every disabled person. Even people from different communities are stereotyped in the name of entertainment.
I made this post long time back
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1121335-post17.html

I feel the reason for this is culture, or popular Indian culture. People pay money to laugh at jokes directed at differently abled people.

In real life also, people with any disability are made to run pillar to post, and majority of govt buildings do not even have access for wheelchairs etc.,

So do not blame the movie, blame your countrymen, who think people with any sort of disability, whether its speech, mind or physical need to be in zoos rather than the society.

Of course many may feel offended by generalized statements, but remember, people on this forum along with their peers and colleagues etc., constitute around .001% of the sample size of India population, and are nowhere qualified to be considered a majority.

So see majority please go watch the movie and see people enjoy and laugh at such portrayal
Yes TSK, you are right. And that is what we are trying to change.

You can't imagine what effect such things have on an impressionable mind. I have been in touch with many children who stutter and they are scared of such movies etc, because they inevitably result in their friends making fun of them.

Nitin
Old 27th October 2010, 14:14   #10
Senior - BHPian

I for sure don't like someone making fun of someones disability of any kind. I hate it to the core. I have signed the petition.
Old 27th October 2010, 15:06   #11
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

By and large we Indians have a very poorly developed sense of humour. We seem fundamentally unable to laugh at ourselves or join in a good joke where we ourselves may be the "butt" of the said joke.

We also react much more easily to "slapstick" elements of humour including community stereotyping, others disabilities and discomfiture etc, which are typically some of the popular techniques that our Hindi/ Regional/ Vernacular Films capitalize on.

This kind of thing comprises what passes for "humour" in a large number of such films. Another irritant is the excessive over-acting/ over-reacting that one is subjected to in most Hindi/ Regional/ Vernacular films.

I don't think it either cool or in good taste to make people laugh by using someone elses inherent disability/ disadvantage. I think it is a sign of an innately un-developed or under-developed sense of maturity and perspective.

But it can only be changed over time and with better education reaching a greater mass of our people.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 27th October 2010 at 15:07.
Old 27th October 2010, 15:11   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
But it can only be changed over time and with better education reaching a greater mass of our people.
You are right; and that is what we are trying to do - spreading awareness and educating people about stuttering.

Nitin
Old 27th October 2010, 15:13   #13
Senior - BHPian

What about comic portrayals of dumb ppl, short ppl, dark ppl, different accent, language, clothes etc? <= none of which is again under the person's control.

Of course I acknowledge that this (thread topic) is more serious.
Old 27th October 2010, 15:22   #14
BHPian

Signing petitions is only going to generate more attention and publicity towards the movie. Ignoring it would be the right thing to do.

If the film or any part of it offends you write directly to the filmmaker or to the relevant statutory authority. (eg Censor Board)
Old 27th October 2010, 15:45   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Signing petitions is only going to generate more attention and publicity towards the movie. Ignoring it would be the right thing to do.

If the film or any part of it offends you write directly to the filmmaker or to the relevant statutory authority. (eg Censor Board)
Dear Sir,

I don't believe that writing to filmmaker will make any difference. Regarding publicity, all publicity isn't good publicity.

And on the other hand, because of this campaign, a few educated people, like you, might refrain from seeing movie after you know what does it stand for.

Nitin

Last edited by ntomer : 27th October 2010 at 15:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks