Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2023, 10:37   #316
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fake / Fraud / Scam Calls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Got a call from this number yesterday: 1244282109.

No country code, just this number appearing on my phone's screen while it was ringing.
That's Airtel calling for something (could be marketing/upselling, could be follow-up on a service ticket, could be a proactive alert call). Most likely your number is also on Airtel so they could avoid (miss?) displaying the IDD code. 0124 is the STD code for Gurgaon, the next 4 is the fixedline indicator for Airtel and 4282109 is the local number.

I think Airtel has a big customer contact centre in Gurgaon.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2023, 11:35   #317
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
That's Airtel calling for something (could be marketing/upselling, could be follow-up on a service ticket, could be a proactive alert call). Most likely your number is also on Airtel so they could avoid (miss?) displaying the IDD code. 0124 is the STD code for Gurgaon, the next 4 is the fixedline indicator for Airtel and 4282109 is the local number.

I think Airtel has a big customer contact centre in Gurgaon.
Thanks.

I know Gurgaon's STD code is 0124. I am surprised it didn't appear as +91124 on my phone and hence, looked fishy.
Old 8th April 2023, 19:13   #318
Senior - BHPian

Anybody interested in receiving one Mrs Sowmya's help so that you can help somebody else may please contact her (!?).

Fake / Fraud / Scam Calls-screenshot_20230408190752862edit_com.android.mms.jpg

PS: Posted in public interest. No association or affiliation .
Old 19th June 2023, 15:57   #319
avk
BHPian

I have been using the TRAI app to register complaints against UCC. Have done complaints against 100s of numbers in the past few months. Weirdly I got 4 SMS from Vi Care in the last one week as below:

Hi, We have received a complaint against your number for sending UCC to DND registered subscribers. Kindly note that receipt of any further complaint would lead to stricter capping and disconnection of all your numbers

3 of these SMSes I got in the last 3 days at almost the same time on each of the days. I have raised a complaint with the customer care for sending these messages and I was informed that they are forwarding this issue to the relevant team. I know for sure that no one will raise a UCC complaint against me because all my outgoing calls have been to my family members only and that too very low frequency as we do Whatsapp calling mostly.

Checking if anyone else have been getting such messages especially from VI.

Last edited by avk : 19th June 2023 at 16:06.
Old 19th June 2023, 20:14   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avk View Post
Checking if anyone else have been getting such messages especially from VI.
I have been reporting many spam callers through the TRAI app, I can only report if I've answered the unsolicited call, if I let it ring/leave unanswered, I cannot report it. SMS'es can be reported straight away.

Do followup with the customer care once again, get a complaint number, ask them what was the content that was reported.

Also did you recently obtain your number? (May have been used for spam calling in the past )
montsa007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2023, 20:48   #321
avk
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsa007 View Post

Do followup with the customer care once again, get a complaint number, ask them what was the content that was reported.
The first time I received the SMS, I had complained with Vi customer care and they asked me to ignore the SMS. The second time, they informed that the complaint has been forwarded to the relevant team.

The number has been with me for over a decade now 😃 I am using the Trai dnd app since last 3.5 years. When I received the SMS, my first thought was whether it was retaliation for all those actions against telemarketers
avk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2023, 14:03   #322
Oxy
BHPian

Just got a call from Bharti Axa Life Insurance. The lady at the other end asked what I want to do with my policy that I had purchased back in 2014 and paid just one premium of Rs.60,000. That amount has apparently grown to Rs.1.94 lakhs, so I am being asked if I want to claim it or surrender the policy and the entire amount. She knows my name, company I work for, phone number, email address and date of birth.

I don't remember buying this policy so I asked her to give me the policy number, and she gave me one. I asked her to call back tomorrow to which she says I have only 24 hours to decide what I want to do.

After the call I dialled up the Bharti Axa customer care number, entered that policy number and my date of birth in the IVR. It said invalid input. Then I entered my phone number and it said this number is not registered with them.

I will give her an earful if and when she calls back, but I don't think I will be getting the call again.
Oxy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2023, 16:14   #323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just got a call from Bharti Axa Life Insurance. The lady at the other end asked what I want to do with my policy that I had purchased back in 2014 and paid just one premium of Rs.60,000. That amount has apparently grown to Rs.1.94 lakhs, so I am being asked if I want to claim it or surrender the policy and the entire amount.
Generally they hope the person would be tempted by the 1.94Lakhs and say yes. The caller would then say there is a processing charge or something and ask to pay some 20-30k or whatever and that would be the end of that.

Or could lead to caller making the person install app and siphon off the monies.

Oh well.
Old 20th June 2023, 16:49   #324
BHPian

I got a few different SMS messages yesterday from AX-Vaahan and AD-Vaahan. They look genuine but then I never requested any service from them.

Quote:
Verification Code (OTP) for availing Vahan Citizen Service is :9039 with reference number 750. MoRTH
Old 20th June 2023, 16:54   #325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just got a call from Bharti Axa Life Insurance. The lady at the other end asked what I want to do with my policy that I had purchased back in 2014 and paid just one premium of Rs.60,000. That amount has apparently grown to Rs.1.94 lakhs, so I am being asked if I want to claim it or surrender the policy and the entire amount. She knows my name, company I work for, phone number, email address and date of birth.

I don't remember buying this policy so I asked her to give me the policy number, and she gave me one. I asked her to call back tomorrow to which she says I have only 24 hours to decide what I want to do.

After the call I dialled up the Bharti Axa customer care number, entered that policy number and my date of birth in the IVR. It said invalid input. Then I entered my phone number and it said this number is not registered with them.

I will give her an earful if and when she calls back, but I don't think I will be getting the call again.
A very common modus operandi these days. I apparently am letting go of 10s of lakhs in policies with ICICI in last 3-4 months

Looks like Jamtara dudes are innovating newer ways. Season 3 on the way maybe?
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2023, 09:32   #326
BHPian

I got a call from some finance company, had some free time so decided to pick it up.

"We have an attractive pre-approved loan offer for you, at an attractive rate of interest"

Didn't want it, but asked her "Is it really good?"

She said "Yes its very good"

I replied "Why don't you take it on my behalf" & disconnected
Old 22nd June 2023, 20:49   #327
BHPian

Thanks to this Thread, I have installed the DND app of TRAI, and started receiving and then reporting all calls.

Seems like it is working, as apart from the DND app, Jio is also constantly updating me, just like my boss expects me to update.

Of course I never meet his expectation.

Screenshots for reference:

1st Complaint:

Fake / Fraud / Scam Calls-request-1.jpg

2nd Complaint:

Fake / Fraud / Scam Calls-request-2.jpg

2nd Complaint Update:

Fake / Fraud / Scam Calls-followup.jpg

2nd Complaint Followup Status:

Fake / Fraud / Scam Calls-request-raised.jpg

2nd Complaint Resolved:

Fake / Fraud / Scam Calls-final.jpg

Now that's your boss's expectation working !
Old 22nd June 2023, 20:51   #328
Senior - BHPian

The electricity bill scams seem to be back. Probably taking advantage of the fact that BESCOM has made a hash of their June billing. Be aware.
Old 5th July 2023, 21:08   #329
BHPian

Got a strange SMS. (I dont have any eagedu or whatever subscription)

Fake / Fraud / Scam Calls-img_9485.jpeg

Curious to know how this scam works? I havent shared the code with anyone.
Old 5th July 2023, 21:12   #330
avk
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
Got a strange SMS. (I dont have any eagedu or whatever subscription)

Attachment 2472225

Curious to know how this scam works? I havent shared the code with anyone.

Might be someone entering a wrong number by mistake and that happening to be yours. Unless it's happening multiple times.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks