Team-BHP - Fake / Fraud / Scam Calls
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Fake / Fraud / Scam Calls (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/91227-fake-fraud-scam-calls-4.html)

I keep getting a lot of calls for stock trading from Indore and other places up north. My demat details must have been sold. I also keep getting a lot of calls to help ailing kids. I made a contribution to UNICEF a long time ago and my number must have got sold.

I merely disconnect these calls. Having a conversation is just a waste of time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by saket77 (Post 4433327)
A huge rise in calls asking you to invest in the stock market through firms based mostly in Indore/ Madhya Pradesh. Anyone with a demat account must be feeling the same. I am sure the demat database has been SOLD somewhere in the chain sharing all our details.

Receiving at least 1, and at the max 4 calls everyday asking me about "How my trading is going on in stocks these days?":Frustrati

Truecaller app helps block such calls, one gets to know the name and location, its mostly from Gujarat or Madhya pradesh.

Typical question is "Sir, aapka trading kaisa chal raha hai?". If by mistake I accept the call, I respond saying that I don't have money and job, looking for one, they will be least interested to proceed with the conversation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdp1975 (Post 4726807)
I merely disconnect these calls. Having a conversation is just a waste of time.

If they offer
loan at 10% interest, ask for 8%
cash back/points on new credit card, as for more
card details to scam you - give wrong one

always speak like dumb/genuine and have fun.

There is a new one, or maybe it's old, that says the call is from Paytm kyc. The guys go on to ask people to open play store and install teamviewer.:eek:
A colleague of mine, ostensibly in IT sales, luckily put his phone on speaker while he opened the playstore and was being guided by the person. Fortunately I heard the name, and immediately asked him to disconnect the call.
Better ask people to be careful in your circles. This is so much more dangerous.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latheesh (Post 4726865)
If they offer
loan at 10% interest, ask for 8%
cash back/points on new credit card, as for more
card details to scam you - give wrong one

always speak like dumb/genuine and have fun.

I have done almost everything above.

If you start giving more wrong info, they will stop calling you after sometime.

I very often get calls from people who want to increase my credit card limit. These are scam calls. One way to know them is there is also a lot of disturbance in the background - probably call center calls making scam calls to others as well.

Last time a lady on the call started asking my DOB and confirm the address. I told her that banks do not ask for such info. To my astonishment she was upset and started asking me - "Did we ask you any personal information? Do you think we are not from the bank?" and so on. I just disconnected the call.

I am not sure if banks actually complain to police and try to trace these seedy call centers.

The best is to act broke in these unwanted marketing calls.
I always say them to Paytm me the money (and some more!) as I am short on cash these days and will return the money the moment I'll find myself a job!stupid:

This really pisses the telecaller off and if luck favours you then they'll also remove your name from their records as you are no longer a prospective customer in their records.:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newpunter (Post 4726734)
I have been receiving these scam calls whenever I return any item on Amazon. I suspect that the courier guys are sharing these return details to the scamsters.

So I had returned another product today and was expecting the call again. As expected, I got a call from a guy saying he was from Amazon and that my refund was stuck and I needed to forward an SMS to a particular number. I had already received my refund, and looks like these guys don't have that information. So I'm pretty sure these guys receive this information from the courier guys. I told him that I would report him to the police and he said he was an Amazon employee. So I told him to give his Amazon email Id, at which point he got abusive and disconnected. I wonder if he was angry because I was not stupid enough to give him my bank account details ? lol:

Anyways, is there any way to report these guys and find out how they are getting the order details? It is very easy for unsuspecting people to fall for this scam, since they have the order details and the SMS that we get for resetting the UPI pin doesn't have any information to identify it as such. If the courier guys are giving out this information to the scamsters, they need to be punished.

Is there any way to report this? I'm thinking of reporting this to Amazon, but not sure if they will take any action.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newpunter (Post 4727285)
Anyways, is there any way to report these guys and find out how they are getting the order details?.. If the courier guys are giving out this information to the scamsters, they need to be punished.

Is there any way to report this? I'm thinking of reporting this to Amazon, but not sure if they will take any action.

Could you please explain your understanding of the sequence of events here? I don't use the UPI thing so I am not able to understand how these scamsters can trigger a UPI password change.

I did ask my colleague yesterday after reading your previous post but he told me that his HDFC bank UPI requires him to input his debit card details before any changes are made.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JithinR (Post 4727306)
Could you please explain your understanding of the sequence of events here? I don't use the UPI thing so I am not able to understand how these scamsters can trigger a UPI password change.

I did ask my colleague yesterday after reading your previous post but he told me that his HDFC bank UPI requires him to input his debit card details before any changes are made.

I'm not completely sure, but I think they are using some UPI app to enter our phone number and click on the 'Forgot UPI pin' option. This triggers an SMS to our phone number with a unique code to reset the Pin. If we forward this SMS to the scamsters, they enter this code and reset the pin. I think the debit card details are only asked if you are registering for UPI for the first time. If you already have a UPI Id, it just sends the reset code to your phone number.

As most of you might be aware that in phone banking the banks are moving towards voice authentication where a customer is recognized by their voice to carry out phone banking.

From the past one week, I have been receiving spam calls but no one speaks from the other end after me saying a few words call gets disconnected. Scammers are trying to record the voice to use it for phone banking authentication without a Tpin.

Folks beware - fraudsters are evolving at a rapid pace.

Cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newpunter (Post 4727334)
I'm not completely sure, but I think they are using some UPI app to enter our phone number and click on the 'Forgot UPI pin' option. This triggers an SMS to our phone number with a unique code to reset the Pin. If we forward this SMS to the scamsters, they enter this code and reset the pin. I think the debit card details are only asked if you are registering for UPI for the first time. If you already have a UPI Id, it just sends the reset code to your phone number.

In my case, Debit card number as not asked, just the phone number alone when registering UPI for the first time. This is with Google Pay.

A week back, one of my colleagues got a call from "SBI Credit/Debit" department on his card getting blocked. We were having a meeting then in office. He put the call on speaker, gave out fake debit card number, and carried on the conversation for a few minutes till the scamster found it was a fake debit card number, while we all had a good laugh.:).

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayguar (Post 4727808)
In my case, Debit card number as not asked, just the phone number alone when registering UPI for the first time. This is with Google Pay.

Oh, I really need to look into this UPI thing. In your case did you already have your UPI setup previously? This might have allowed the registration on Google pay to proceed with just the phone number.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JithinR (Post 4727851)
Oh, I really need to look into this UPI thing. In your case did you already have your UPI setup previously? This might have allowed the registration on Google pay to proceed with just the phone number.

No, it was a new bank account and had just installed Google pay and never have used UPI before. All I was asked for was Bank name and my phone number. Entered OTP received as sms and that is it. It actually sounded scary to me how my bank account was linked with just my phone number.