Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2020, 15:37   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Fake / Fraud / Scam Calls

Fake / Fraud / Scam Calls-img_20200219_153803.jpg
So this was in mail yesterday. They saved the best word for the last line. I was wondering where to share this, here or in jokes thread.

Fake / Fraud / Scam Calls-img_20200219_153847.jpgThis was an sms defrauding in name of PayTM.
BoneCollector is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 16:20   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
On asking details, the bank manager says that they got a call from an unknown number saying that it is me and I need some money to do some registry.

Now we have never done any transaction on the phone ever. Always the instrument like cheque is presented for any transaction. Moreover this account is operated by my father alone and not me!

And the bank manager and/or executive gave all the details as to available balance as well as running cheque number to the caller and sent him the NEFT of Rs.3.8L.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishan12 View Post
He asked her her paytm number which she shared, and tricked her into forwarding the OTP message. (Which was actually the password reset message). She lost Rs 800 from her paytm account and the entire family learned a valuable lesson.
Guys,
Most cases I see here (as well as on news or other forums) is exactly the issue as highlighted in bold above - human mistake, not a technology gap.

We have technology advancements to enable convenience and better customer experience - from the days of introducing IMPS & MMID codes to QR Codes, UPI and so many upcoming options; they are tuned to this only.

However they can not handle human errors at the end-user's side.
Old 19th February 2020, 17:42   #78
Senior - BHPian

What is the relation between Indore and scamsters? I have received so many scam calls from Indore/MP numbers. Google search "indore scams" gives lots of Indore based scam details.
Old 19th February 2020, 18:00   #79
Senior - BHPian

This was a good watch about scams and phishing. Dramatized of course.

deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 18:08   #80
BHPian

For the last couple of months, i am frequently getting notification in my Android mobile "Someone is trying to recover your account...". The location of that attempt mostly point to North India (MP, Bihar), but sometime other locations also. Even after changing my password, i am keep getting this alert regularly (say more than 10 times in a month).
Old 19th February 2020, 18:33   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar View Post
For the last couple of months, .....
Here's my wild theory based on my personal experience.

I've a strong feeling that few gmail addresses are used by two different people. This, I think, has happened after Google said the dots "." between characters don't matter. But seems some email addresses which were created with dot before this obviously survived.

I say this, because I keep getting emails intended for two persons sharing my first name, at some random times. These are financial statements. They arrive some months and don't on some other months. Clearly the engine that supposed to manage the right routing is not working.

May be (and I hope) I'm wrong. Google does not accept this. There are many cases discussed on Google forums, and Google consistently denies this.

I'm telling this, because I think, your situation could be not because someone is trying to scam and change your password. But because someone is sharing your id and somehow unable to access it.

I know I'll probably get shot down by many stating this is not possible. But folks, I've my experiences
ascii is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 20:00   #82
BHPian

I also get these notifications on my Android mobile. I have had my gmail ID since 2004 when it was launched on invite-only beta.

With the proliferation of 4G I guess there are plenty of other people with the same name as me trying to sign up for gmail with my email ID preference hence resulting in these notifications.

I also get other people's mobile/bank/credit card statements and some social media on my email because again, seems people with same name as me provide my email ID to these companies who do not care to verify (via sign up link) ownership of the email ID.
Old 19th February 2020, 21:13   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishalrao View Post
....., seems people with same name as me provide my email ID to these companies who do not care to verify (via sign up link) ownership of the email ID.
In my case it's mostly 3 persons, whose correspondence I receive. That too, only for companies and not from their contacts. Also statements from same companies are received a few times, then not received for few times, then again a few times. Shows an erratic pattern. Essentially emails from "contacts" do not get delivered to me, but "mass" communication sometimes is added to my bin.

The pattern analysis makes me believe that it's not a human error case of an individual providing a wrong email address.

In any case, this is going off-topic. The only point I wanted to make with my my previous post is: Reset request does not necessarily mean that a scam artist trying to pull fast one on you. Possibly someone is trying to recover their account genuinely believe it's their own... but then again who knows
ascii is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 11:01   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I've a strong feeling that few gmail addresses are used by two different people. This, I think, has happened after Google said the dots "." between characters don't matter. But seems some email addresses which were created with dot before this obviously survived.

I say this, because I keep getting emails intended for two persons sharing my first name, at some random times. These are financial statements. They arrive some months and don't on some other months. Clearly the engine that supposed to manage the right routing is not working.

May be (and I hope) I'm wrong. Google does not accept this. There are many cases discussed on Google forums, and Google consistently denies this.

I'm telling this, because I think, your situation could be not because someone is trying to scam and change your password. But because someone is sharing your id and somehow unable to access it.
Happens to me as well on Amazon. I keep getting someone else's order details and such in my mail box. The only difference in mail id is a dot in mine and no dot in his.

Checked with Amazon. They said Google does not differentiate between periods so yeah it's google's fault and not theirs. I asked them if that was the case, then how did that email id get verified and why do i get only his mails via Amazon and none of his personal stuff (thankfully).

Amazon then said they don't do email verification of their customer's email ids!
Old 20th February 2020, 15:02   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar View Post
For the last couple of months, i am frequently getting notification in my Android mobile "Someone is trying to recover your account...".
Quote:

I've a strong feeling that few gmail addresses are used by two different people. This, I think, has happened after Google said the dots "." between characters don't matter.

.... These are financial statements. They arrive some months and don't on some other months. Clearly the engine that supposed to manage the right routing is not working.

I know I'll probably get shot down by many stating this is not possible. But folks, I've my experiences
Quote:
Originally Posted by vishalrao View Post
I also get these notifications on my Android mobile. I have had my gmail ID since 2004 when it was launched on invite-only beta.
Quote:
In my case it's mostly 3 persons, whose correspondence I receive. That too, only for companies and not from their contacts. Also statements from same companies are received a few times, then not received for few times, then again a few times. Shows an erratic pattern. Essentially emails from "contacts" do not get delivered to me, but "mass" communication sometimes is added to my bin.
Quote:
The pattern analysis makes me believe that it's not a human error case of an individual providing a wrong email address.
I am so glad this is being discussed here . My first name is very short and common. And my gmail id which I luckily got during the beta invite-only phase is <initial>dot<FirstName> @ gmail. com. I am pretty much sure others would have created with dots elsewhere with same pattern.

I have the same experiences which others have posted here - Android notifications of others "trying to sign-in", mails from banks and insurance companies. Since I don't use gmail for my financial transactions, I easily select and delete all these mails (or mark it spam). But this is a recurring problem, and I feel sometimes that I am invading their privacy

For the older email ids which had significance of dots, Google surely is doing a routing which fails often.
Old 9th March 2020, 13:21   #86
AZT
BHPian

Fake / Fraud / Scam Calls-paytm.jpg

Just got this fake Paytm message. If the grammar was correct some people might actually fall for this
Old 9th March 2020, 13:34   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
If the grammar was correct some people might actually fall for this
Grammatical errors are deliberate in such SMS/ mails. They create the first level of barrier to segregate the prey. If one falls for such SMS/ mail, one is more likely to fall for the scheme.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 14:08   #88
BHPian

Got this phishing email - pretending to be Amazon. Must say it’s a really good copy.
Attached Thumbnails
Fake / Fraud / Scam Calls-a20f28b83aee43c78f98dff48abd4995.jpeg  

Fake / Fraud / Scam Calls-e18db77e3f40457b96a55d1c620ee89d.png  

Old 7th April 2020, 15:36   #89
BHPian

Nothing stops these scamsters. They haven’t left the EMI moratorium scheme for swindling the money. Received this message from PNB.
Attached Thumbnails
Fake / Fraud / Scam Calls-52c2d4deb4f94a1cb720cfffa8f89d12.png  

Old 7th April 2020, 15:47   #90
BHPian

A must watch on how a YouTuber hacked into the CCTVs of a Gurgaon based scam call centre that led the police take action and now the owner is behind bars. Their operations were worth of several million dollars. The scammer had a Porsche and lived in an apartment with a monthly rent of 5 lakh rupees.

Last edited by Sherlocked : 7th April 2020 at 15:57.
Sherlocked is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks