Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2020, 13:55   #91
AZT
BHPian

Re: Fake / Fraud / Scam Calls

Brilliant article - Fraudsters, Spammers Are Having a Free Ride as TRAI Says it Has No Information about Them
https://www.moneylife.in/article/fra...hem/60089.html

Quote:
After failing to get any reprieve from repeated calls and SMSs from telemarketers, on 26 August 2019 I filed an application under the RTI Act to TRAI. I had asked following details...
1. Names of all telemarketers and header/s assigned to them for promotional message in XY-NZZZZZ format, where N is the serial number (1-7) of partially blocked category, indicating the nature of product/ services being promoted. ZZZZZ indicates five digits allocated to particular telemarketer by an access provider.

2. Names of all telemarketers and header/s assigned to them for transactional message XY-ZZZZZZ where X stands for the code allotted to the access provider, Y stands for the service area, ZZZZZZ indicates six alphabets for company or organization sending transactional SMS.

On the same day, I filed other RTI application with the TRAI central public information officer (CPIO) seeking the following information...

1. Copy of the list of telemarketers against whom violations have been reported since FY2016-17, FY2017-18, FY2018-19, and FY2019-20 (as on 31 July 2019)

2. Name of telemarketers against whom violations have been reported and who have paid additional security deposit for each violation since FY2016-17, FY2017-18, FY2018-19, and
FY2019-20 (as on 31 July 2019)

3. Copy of the list of telemarketers who have been blacklisted along with the reason for such action since FY2016-17, FY2017-18, FY2018-19, and FY2019-20 (as on 31 July 2019).
Quote:
Finally, on 16 March 2020, Mr Dutta, the CPIO of TRAI replied to my RTI filed on 6 March 2020 that TRAI does not have the information on telemarketers. However, there still is no response on information sought by me on the three queries.

Coming back to how TRAI, the regulator treats telecom subscribers, unlike other regulators like the Reserve Bank of India (RBI), Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) or Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI), the telecom regulator seems totally unconcerned about customer issues and has no formal mechanism for grievance redress or filing complaints.

TRAI does not take any cognizance of individual complaints from telecom subscribers. [COLOR=#0000ff]The TRAI portal under its telecom consumer complaints monitoring system[/COLOR], says, “TRAI Act, 1997 does not envisage handling of individual consumer complaints by TRAI. Consumers are advised to take up their complaints with their respective service providers. Complaints, if any, received in TRAI are forwarded to the service providers. No follow up action is taken by TRAI on individual complaint(s).”

No prizes for guessing how complaints are treated when the regulator is not responsible for addressing consumers’ grievances. A majority of complaints are discarded without much action or on flimsy grounds, especially those against telemarketers or the telecom service providers.
Quote:
The reason? All telemarketers, whether genuine or fraud, are paid customers of mobile operators. When there is not much money to be made from end-users due to cut-throat competition, do you think any telecom operator would even take any action against these paid telemarketers?

The other issue is the first two letters used in the header provide information on the telco and its service area. For example, AK, means Airtel Kolkata, VM means Vodafone Mumbai and so on. Although there are very few active telcos, there are many who cease to exists but are still doing this telemarketing business.

This exactly is what I have been trying (albeit unsuccessfully) to highlight to the telecom regulator TRAI, DoT, and the communications minister.

Without proper implementation and supervision, the national do not call (NDNC) registry has been turned into a joke by all these authorities. All telemarketers are mandated to do a pre-check before shooting any communication so that all subscribers who had registered as Zero DNC (no UCC) or selective UCC, would be filtered out. But it hardly happens.

However, when the details of all telemarketers are out in the public domain, subscribers may file complaints against them. Some users who are cheated or defrauded may even file criminal cases against the fraud telemarketers.

Last edited by AZT : 22nd April 2020 at 13:57.
AZT is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th May 2020, 16:18   #92
BHPian

Key give away for scams - wordings. Received this sms today
Attached Thumbnails
Fake / Fraud / Scam Calls-a85d6ff4aa234ffea5047b4a2b87dec1.png  

saisree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 16:07   #93
BHPian

Guys i was not sure if i am being scammed. But would it be possible to know if the below URL is actually real.

childhelpfoundation.in.

I was not able to judge from the call if it was genuine or not. Could anyone of experience please share advise.
Old 4th June 2020, 16:31   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitoasis View Post

childhelpfoundation.in.

I was not able to judge from the call if it was genuine or not. Could anyone of experience please share advise.
Looks legit. Looks like a mid sized NGO. They have have links to their social media pages (FB, twitter, Insta, Linkedin) on their website. Also, when google-ling saw some open jobs posted by them on job portals. Also, their twitter page is verified with a blue tick and they seem to be active on twitter. Check the media section on their website, the news section seems legit too.
However, what part of the money they receive actually goes to charity is anybody's guess and no way to verify that.
Old 4th June 2020, 16:32   #95
BHPian

Most of the time, one has to be witty and bold to retort to such tele-marketeers call.

Example :
Caller : Sir, I am calling from XYZ Insurance. What do you use - 4 Wheeler of 2 Wheeler ?
Me : Give me a moment to check how many wheels does Metro have and I would like your quote on its insurance ?

I shall share some more of my conversations
Amrik Singh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 06:58   #96
BHPian

Someone wants to give me a Rashad Card along with coupons. Gmail’s engine couldn’t detect this as spam, since, it had a Reply To set and it matches the unsubscribe email domain.

Fake / Fraud / Scam Calls-7269b6d2660643f68a8a3e72efd29b68.jpeg

Last edited by Aditya : 30th July 2020 at 18:53. Reason: Email address, name blanked out
saisree is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 20:40   #97
BHPian

I got what I think is a scam e-mail. Looked quite authentic.

Fake / Fraud / Scam Calls-scam-2.png

The name of the sender is PayPal, but the email id is something else. I don't even have a PayPal account. I used an online sandbox to check out the link, but its not accessible.

Fake / Fraud / Scam Calls-scam-1.png
GeneralJazz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 22:11   #98
Senior - BHPian

I managed to get back at one of those pesky callers / text generators today. Got a message from Airtel on the action taken (25K fine). Fake / Fraud / Scam Calls-imageuploadedbyteambhp1595349654.577346.jpg
jkrishnakj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 07:16   #99
BHPian

This is not a online fraud / scam, but, is inline with this thread.

Quote:
A duplicate branch of State Bank of India, running for the past three months, was identified and closed down by the Tamil Nadu police yesterday and three people were arrested in the case.
Quote:
Among the three people arrested in the matter is a son of a former SBI employee, who had become well-versed with operations of the bank during his various visits over the years.
Quote:
Officials from the original SBI branch in Panruti, upon visiting the fake branch found that the infrastructure mirrored that of official branches of the bank according to reports.
Quote:
Kamal Babu had applied for his father’s bank job but his application was delayed
Seems like he wanted to get himself some kind of on-site training before he gets the job.

Source

Last edited by saisree : 30th July 2020 at 07:19.
Old 30th July 2020, 11:56   #100
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post

The name of the sender is PayPal, but the email id is something else.
I've also been receiving similar looking emails made to look like Paypal. Definitely a phishing scam, I used to ignore and delete at first but finally reported it as phishing.
AZT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 17:00   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
I got what I think is a scam e-mail. Looked quite authentic.
This is Gmail I assume. Gmail allows you to perform some basic verifications of the sender. In the web client, click on the down arrow below the sender (next to the word "me") and look for these three things:

Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 1092
Size:  20.9 KB

If mailed-by is present, then the email passed the SPF check.

If signed-by is present, then the email passed the DKIM check.

If security is present, then the email arrived at Gmail via a TLS-encrypted session. This provides assurance that the email was not modified while in transit (equivalent of HTTPS, but for emails).

Last edited by binand : 30th July 2020 at 17:03.
binand is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 09:10   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Sharing how a close friend fell for a fraud call yesterday.

He got a call from 0983xx 93195 with the caller at the other end claiming to be Deepak from an orange logo nationalised bank, stating that my friend's KYC needs updation.

He went on to ask him if he had a credit card, and the friend happily shared the card number, the CVV, and even the OTP that came to his registered mobile number. The OTP message also mentioned that it was for a transaction for INR 20506.89 favouring SHROTAM INFORMATICS.

When confronted with why this message for INR 20506.89, the caller asked my friend to just ignore that and actually psyched him into parting with the OTP, and my friend fell for that.

As if this wasn't enough, another transaction of 50k was done favouring TRUEBALANCE IO and again the OTP was asked for, and that's when my friend realised he had been conned and asked the caller to call from a landline, and my friend finally disconnected the call.

The caller called back several times from the same number but my friend didn't take the call.

Prima facie, people might think how stupid my friend was , but when he narrated this experience, he said that the modus operandi of the caller was to literally make the duck walk into the trap with sweet and trustworthy talk and he didn't even realise how he had walked into it.

I know we all are always on guard, but let not something like this break our defense.

My logic is very simple - I don't take any call that I don't recognise. Unfortunately, this logic may not work for those in business.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2020, 15:01   #103
BHPian

Just got a call from some guy claiming that I had got pre-approved for credit cards from Citi and ICICI. This is not a big deal as I don't engage on the phone for any banking related activity unless I am the one who initiated the call.

But what got me was his peculiar question of 'Am I in Bengaluru or outside'? I am not sure if this is a social engineering question or has a more nefarious intent.

NOTE: I am actually in my hometown and not in Bengaluru at the moment. I live in a gated community with pretty OK security (CCTV and multiple security guards).
Old 15th September 2020, 16:08   #104
Senior - BHPian

Got a suspicious call saying that my savings account has been approved for flexi overdraft (big jargons)

Just hung up.
Old 2nd January 2021, 22:38   #105
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

This happened recently to an elderly far relative who lives in a tier 2 city, but I don't have all the details though:
-She gets a call from a person claiming to be staff of a nationalised bank branch where she and her son have savings accounts
-The guy says the bank needs their Aadhaar numbers to link to the account and also need to confirm the debit card numbers, if not they will get blocked
-Son is not around, so the lady panicked and gave aadhaar numbers and debit card numbers
-15 minutes later both their accounts have debits of 20k & 25k INR
-They lodged a complaint, contacted the bank and blocked the cards. Apparently the cops and bank say nothing can be done to recover the money!

Wondering what the modus operandi is ? How did the scamster manage to transfer money and can't it be reversed ?

Last edited by NPV : 2nd January 2021 at 22:41.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed