Team-BHP - Do you ever forget in which gear you are in?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Do you ever forget in which gear you are in? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/9163-do-you-ever-forget-gear-you.html)

During driving, I sometimes forget in which gear I'm going (expecially between 4th & 5th)!

Do anyone of you ever face this situation?

Two of my friends also said this to me. But I like to know is it common or only some "bad" drivers suffer from this!
stupid:

It can happen in the Baleno too, but I can always make out the gear moment I put my hand on the gear shift.

Been there, done that. Happens to the best of us at times. Hell, on one occasion I forgot about sixth gear :D

Lol hate to admit it, but yes it has happened with me too :p

nope hasnt happened even once to me till date..as samurai says the moment u put ur hand on the shifter u will know instantly which gear u are in..

Yes it has happened to me but very rarely and even then like above once you touch the gear lever you find out...

I'm in the same place as you are "sbasak"...I sometimes completely forget which gear I am driving in...esp. when I am more engrossed in a song or in a conversation. Have been practising the technique of reading the gear by feeling the position of the gear knob...and I still havent mastered it.

Have been in such situations. But within just half a km of travel, could be able to struck on that with the way acceleration works and go for top gear ( happended mostly from 4th to 5th)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sid Schumacher
I'm in the same place as you are "sbasak"...I sometimes completely forget which gear I am driving in......and I still havent mastered it.

Hmm, so I'm not alone rl:

In some expensive cars, the gear has slots, simply by looking, you can see in which gear you're in! Some such cars also has a dashboard indicator telling your current gear. In fact, almost 15 years ago, I first observed these slots in Ashoke Leyland double decker buses! Ever since I thought why we can't have such slots in all cars. All it needs to create a small plastic mould surrounding the gear knob.

I must admit that I also can't figure out by touching gear knob in which gear I'm in. Mostly in these situations I reduce speed and then shift to 3rd and then 4 & 5 again.

You should also be able to tell by looking at the tacho or, if the car doesn't have one, by the engine noise (the car should have atleast either of those ;) )

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbasak

I must admit that I also can't figure out by touching gear knob in which gear I'm in.

Normally never happens to me... probably b'coz once I am on 4th I have this inner feeling to shift on to 5th at the first chance. So kind of always remain aware of being on the 4th. That aside the engine noise, speed and the tacho tell you the slotted gear all the time.

Also, if you are travelling at a decent speed (anything above 40) without the engine screaming itself hoarse you are either on 4th or 5th. If you touch the gear knob and feel that you are extending your arms a bit then you are on 5th for sure else it is 4th :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rtech
Been there, done that. Happens to the best of us at times. Hell, on one occasion I forgot about sixth gear :D

Hahaha :D :D

Generally what happens with me is I forget im in 5th, thinking im in third i go for the next gear which happens to be reverse...thank god for the reverse lock.

I think i need the sixth gear more than you rt.

Drifter

Yeah does happen with me so many times between 4th and 5th.

Happens to me too but, only during long distance driving. I guess after a few hours of driving, the brain isn't as active as when you started off.

Never happens to me on those short but, fast drives. (It better not)

Shan2nu

Don't know to accept it or no but YES it sure dose happnes with me most of the time mostly when i'm at high speed on my car or bike.. That the time i feel like having that " Go Baby Go !!" Button from Gone In 60 sec movie - Elenor i might add. He he Silly thing tough