Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2005, 19:34   #16
Senior - BHPian

wasnt "Sonapur"proposed for Chowpatty in mumbai...haha guess what maruti wud be called if its name were to changed...HANUMAN!!!!!!!!....
Old 13th December 2005, 20:20   #17
Senior - BHPian

Its all about the national ego. (or should I say linguistic) To some people, ego is more important than having a square meal a day.

I think Bengaluru means "baked beans" or something. Mexicans will be happy to visit here.
Old 13th December 2005, 20:23   #18
Team-BHP Support

In Kannada it was/is always referred as Bengaluru. I say Bengaluru while speaking Kannada, but I do say Bangalore while speaking any other language. Bengaluru was like the Kannada name for Bangalore. Now they want to make it a universal name. Don't think it is a good idea. BTW, the idea for this didn't come from politicians, it came from some leading Kannada academics like U.R.Ananthmurthy.

BTW, Mangalore can't become Mangaluru, going by the local dialect, it has to be changed to Kudla.
Old 13th December 2005, 21:07   #19
BHPian

The whole business is nothing but political. Just imagine the cost of changing all signboards, timetables etc.

What do we get by changing names? Nothing!!!

And everywhere people still refer to them using older name!

There was a another proposal of changing Delhi to Indraprastha - but somehow it didn't materialize.

Japanese people call their own land as Nippon, Germans call their land as Deutscheland... so English name can be different from native place name.... it doesn't make any difference...

And even after changing names, the airport codes remain the same, so they look quite awkward....

CCU - Calcutta - Kolkata
MAA - Madras - Chennai
BOM - Bombay - Mumbai

MUM - in Kenya
CHN - in Korea
KOL - in Central Africa
Old 15th December 2005, 05:20   #20
BHPian

First it was the name boards had to be in the regional language no matter even if half the population in Blr were able to read it or not.
Now the name ? Next ? Java / C / C++ in regional languages ? Shud be worth the wait !!!
Old 15th December 2005, 07:18   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Schumacher
But BENGALOORU..it sounds like a bloody village name...it doesnt go with the image.
I.T CAPITAL AND SILICON VALLEY OF INDIA...BENGALOORU...sounds like a piece of $h!T.
Looks like they are busy...they are planning to chane MANGALORE TO MANGALOORU AND BELGAUM TO BELAGAVI!

Politicians have nothing to do accept inducing more corruption in the system and waste tax payers money.
Old 15th December 2005, 09:56   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoranjit
First it was the name boards had to be in the regional language no matter even if half the population in Blr were able to read it or not.
Aren't you being unfair to the other half? The law says the boards should be in two languages, Kannada and English. That way both halfs can read it. In my company, our night watchman and janitor didn't know the name of the company until we put up the bilingual board. We all in Bangalore deal with many people everyday who can't read or write English. Since they know some English keywords or phrases, the job gets done.

That said, I am not for renaming Bangalore. It causes lots of head ache without any gain. Now I have to get all the business cards and boards changed... or not. My company will be moving out Bangalore in 4 months, before the name change take effect...
Old 15th December 2005, 10:17   #23
Team-BHP Support

Which company dude? And where are you going to move to?? Is Bangalore infra responsible?
Old 15th December 2005, 10:23   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Which company dude? And where are you going to move to?? Is Bangalore infra responsible?
I run a small software product company, not something you will recognise. We are moving to a much smaller town. The main reasons, prohibitive real estate price stopping further expansion, terrible roads and traffic.
Old 15th December 2005, 10:43   #25
BHPian

Some crazy job there again by the poiticians...and how does it benefit, whats the idea behind this?? Anyways Bangalore sounded more like a quality name than BENGALURU.Sad if it happens:(
Old 15th December 2005, 11:01   #26
BHPian

Looks like this CM can't do any good to the state nor was he able to do any change for betterment. I guess the object was - change in name might bring him some luck...must have worked with some numerology
Old 15th December 2005, 11:18   #27
BHPian

On a related note, Poona was changed to Pune quite a few years back. I do not know the exact year WHEN it happened. Thats an okay change is what I think. But I still refer to it as Poona more often than I can count.

I feel all these name changes should have happened when the Britishers turned their back and marched off to England. The British versions of all city names have become so deeply rooted in people's psyche (in the past 50 years), that it'll take another generation for the new names (or rather, the original Indian names) to start having any effect.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks