Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2005, 12:13   #16
Team-BHP Support

the only reson I advise against netscape is because of security issues. The issue you were facing may recur soon. The reason is this :

http://browser.netscape.com/ns8/support/relnotes.jsp

these are the release notes for netscape latest version ie 8.0

If you see the security fixes, it says "firefox 1.0.7".

firefox 1.0.7 is old and any new fixes which have come in firefox 1.5 will come in netscape after 2-3 months when the next version of netscape will be out, based on firefox 1.5.

As for usability there is not much difference between firefox/mozilla/netscape.
If you really want to use netscape I would suggest you get a good free firewall like Zonealarm(Do not use if you are on AMD 64bit). With a firewall and antivirus along with microsoft anti spyware you are pretty safe.
Old 14th December 2005, 12:25   #17
Senior - BHPian

One strong reason to shift to Mozilla Firefox is that it is actively evolving, which is then "probably" backported to Netscape. If you are used to netscapre look n feel, find a theme in Firefox which looks similar to netscape.
Old 14th December 2005, 15:06   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper
I agree. what I have done is delete both the files. I dont know how they got there in the first place. Lets see if problem is solved if not I think i'll just reinstall netscape unless someone can come up with a solution.

Viper
That file loads in the background when the OS boots and keeps searching for updates on the net from the mother site. It "got there" when you installed the browser. Reinstall will solve the problem only if somehow the EXE got corrupted. However in that case you may just copy a new file from the disk (or wherever else) you installed the browser from. I strongly suspect the site where it checks for updates must have gone down and hence it is failing. You know how it is with Netscapes, the way they are sinking...
Old 14th December 2005, 16:23   #19
BHPian

I suggest to use latest versions of Firefox and for the AV, Avast Antivirus Home Edition is a good bet. Both AVG and Avast are available in free editions and are almost as good or better for day to day use than paid versions from other major vendors.

For users still preferring IE, use Maxthon which is based on the IE engine. It has everything that IE always lacked .
Old 14th December 2005, 16:26   #20
Senior - BHPian

See Run ? Type 'msconfig' .

A window pops up.

Take the Startup option in taht window

Uncheck the 'updatewhateveryousaidisceatingproblemexefile'

close

restart.

end of story.
Old 14th December 2005, 16:29   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire
I suggest to use latest versions of Firefox and for the AV, Avast Antivirus Home Edition is a good bet. Both AVG and Avast are available in free editions and are almost as good or better for day to day use than paid versions from other major vendors.

For users still preferring IE, use Maxthon which is based on the IE engine. It has everything that IE always lacked .
Guten Tag

What IE lacked was security and what all wanted was Firefox.

ANd dont you guys use sophos antivirus in germany?

I use McAfee and Firefox 1.5
Old 14th December 2005, 22:43   #22
BHPian

I'll give a better option, go for Mozilla Firefox or try using Opera which are any time better then Netscape and IE....and they also block Pop up's, etc......
Old 15th December 2005, 09:50   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper
Hi,

When I use IE after a few mins the same message appears and IE shuts down. Can anyone help me solve this.

Viper
I had suffered the same problem a long time back where in I was using only IE 6. Initially I thought of a bug and searched the entire microsft tech site and couldn't get any clue. But today I'm not facing this problem because my default browser is Opera and I literally stopped using IE 6.0.
Old 15th December 2005, 18:15   #24
Senior - BHPian

And if you are stuck up with "IE only" sites, you can install "IE Tab" and "View in IE" extensions of firefox. With first, you never have to leave FireFox and just toggle the view between Firefox and IE. With second, you can open up any link/page in IE by right mouse button click.
Old 15th December 2005, 22:58   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
See Run ? Type 'msconfig' .

A window pops up.

Take the Startup option in taht window

Uncheck the 'updatewhateveryousaidisceatingproblemexefile'

close

restart.

end of story.

Never seen anyone bring solution to a pc problem so confidently....

KP

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks