Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2021, 16:03   #256
BHPian

Re: What equipment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

Regarding compost etc, check Gopal Bhai Sutaria / Gir Bansi Gaushala - they provide a base culture, which you can use to make more. And use this for cultured FYM.
Fantastic. Thank you very much.

I shall go and check that out. In fact, i was keen on keeping a couple of GIR cows, but dropped the idea since it involved too much maintenance (time and effort)
I have a stihl brush cutter , hedge trimmer and a chain saw- all electric. A battery sprayer would be very handy( i have a manual one at present) and maybe a tiller?
Old 28th November 2021, 19:42   #257
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
.. and maybe a tiller?
Brush cutters will help cut the top part of weeds, but not with pulling them out from the roots. The power weeders will be better here.

A good tiller with additional attachments can help you with de-weeding and light tilling of soil. However, if you want to make raised beds then you will need to go with the larger VST tillers, but these are diesel. The Honda powered ones are as good in output as the smaller diesel ones but without the vibration.

Btw, I think it is Bansi Gir Gaushala. He promotes organic farming. You can skip the cows, but for his method, you would need access to gobar from desi cows.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 19:59   #258
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
...and maybe a tiller?
If you go for a power tiller, make sure you get one with two wheels for propulsion independent of the attachment that does the tilling.

Avoid this type of tillers where the tilling attachment itself is the propulsion as well. Working these machines is almost like walking an aggressive dog that is pulling you all over the place.
Name:  Tiller without wheels.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  175.2 KB

Get this type of tiller that has big wheels. These provide stability to the tiller as the tilling attachment works. Usually these have steering control as well that makes it easier to steer the tiller.
Name:  Tiller with wheels.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  31.4 KB

Get a tiller that has a powerful motor like 6 to 10bhp.

PS: The images are from Google
graaja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 20:12   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Btw, I think it is Bansi Gir Gaushala. He promotes organic farming. You can skip the cows, but for his method, you would need access to gobar from desi cows.
Thanks. Checked out the site. Have a shop near my house.

Another problem that is prevalent in my farmis Udai (termites). They are everywhere and stuff like neem oil, tobacco dust or castor oil cakes or neem fruit cakes do not deter them.

Stronger measures are required. A diluted solution of Chlorpyrifos inserted around the tree by means of a hole made by a crowbar may be the solution. Only how often and what should be the dilution?

Last edited by earthian : 28th November 2021 at 20:14.
Old 28th November 2021, 21:11   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Checked out the site. Have a shop near my house.

Another problem that is prevalent in my farmis Udai (termites). They are everywhere and stuff like neem oil, tobacco dust or castor oil cakes or neem fruit cakes do not deter them.

Stronger measures are required. A diluted solution of Chlorpyrifos inserted around the tree by means of a hole made by a crowbar may be the solution. Only how often and what should be the dilution?

There is a more natural and tastier solution. Just raise some chickens and the termite problem will be solved.
green_ninja is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th December 2021, 01:12   #261
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Calling all Team-BHP Farmers : The Farming Thread!

Karnataka government says that minimum size of agricultural land will be 1/8th of an acre. While existing pieces of smaller size already have a survey number - new survey numbers will not be issued for lands less than this size.

So if any one in KA is planning to get agri land, do note this update.
Old 27th December 2021, 12:28   #262
BHPian

Got a microgreen kit from "all that grows" Good kit and have a crop growing nicely.

Calling all Team-BHP Farmers : The Farming Thread!-img_4711-2.jpg

Calling all Team-BHP Farmers : The Farming Thread!-img_4712.jpg

Calling all Team-BHP Farmers : The Farming Thread!-img_4710.jpg

Last edited by earthian : 27th December 2021 at 12:31.
earthian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2022, 21:45   #263
Distinguished - BHPian

Has anyone tried using solar power for borewells ? What is the max power for such a method - in the sense, how big a pump can a solar set up drive ?
Old 3rd January 2022, 10:37   #264
PGA
BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone tried using solar power for borewells ? What is the max power for such a method - in the sense, how big a pump can a solar set up drive ?
I have a 5 hp submersible pump working fine for last five years. I know these days one can get upto 10 hp pumps under Govt subsidy scheme, check KUSUM scheme. Peak output is about 85% of what you get with electricity driven pumps.
PGA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 11:52   #265
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGA View Post
I have a 5 hp submersible pump working fine for last five years. .
Thanks, @PGA. How is the working when sunlight is less ? Though borewell water irrigation is more needed in non-rain months, water will still be required for farm hands and other small requirements during rainy season etc.
Old 3rd January 2022, 19:58   #266
PGA
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, @PGA. How is the working when sunlight is less ? Though borewell water irrigation is more needed in non-rain months, water will still be required for farm hands and other small requirements during rainy season etc.
These pumps are governed by variable frequency drive and output varies with intensity of sunlight ie frequency generated by the solar inverter. Since my farm is located at about 32 deg lat I am able to use the pump from 8 am to 4 pm in Summers and from 10 am to 3 pm in winters. The output also depends upon depth of water table but at all the times it's sufficient to meet admin needs of the farm.
Old 3rd January 2022, 20:04   #267
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGA View Post
The output also depends upon depth of water table but at all the times it's sufficient to meet admin needs of the farm.
A 5HP motor would mean that the water is not too deep. My question was for a situation where the water is about 600 ft deep.

And more specifically - if it is a cloudy day, how good does the setup work ?
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 21:13   #268
PGA
BHPian

Quote:
A 5HP motor would mean that the water is not too deep. My question was for a situation where the water is about 600 ft deep.

And more specifically - if it is a cloudy day, how good does the setup work ?
It works with degraded performance upto 2 octa clouds and beyond that it doesn't work.

600 ft is really deep, I am not sure it will be possible to get water of decent discharge with even 10 hp solar motor. Consider using it for pumping from a surface source such as run off tanks, canal or water harvesting tanks etc.
PGA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 15:00   #269
BHPian

Hello friends,

I am in search for a small farm house preferably around Palghar, Vapi, Valsad, Surat, Vadodara belt.

Purpose of the farmhouse is to start a small agri business, so it should come with a decent land along with it.

Any good reliable leads would be helpful.

Regards
Diesel
Dieseltuned is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 15:15   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
I am in search for a small farm house preferably around Palghar, Vapi, Valsad, Surat, Vadodara belt.

Purpose of the farmhouse is to start a small agri business, so it should come with a decent land along with it.
I stay far far away from all the places you mention and hence wouldn't be able to help you with your quest. But I really admire this return to the roots desire that is increasingly being seen among the townsfolk - which is indeed a good thing.

However, shouldn't you be looking for a decent piece of land with a small farmhouse attached rather than a small farmhouse with a decent piece of land attached?

Shelters can be erected at will but getting a piece of fertile/cultivable land that suits your purpose is a difficult, long drawn process and hence should be your first point of search.

(Sorry for butting in without actually giving you a solution)
dailydriver is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks