Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2016, 09:21   #136
BHPian

We grow ginger every year in a small field among other things for just our consumption and the soil is still as good as ever. I guess it must be due to us relying on cow manure mostly instead of fertilizers and pesticides. I am opening a dairy farm within a month or so and will then gradually setup polyhouses and mainly concentrate on organic farming as cow manure won't be an issue.
Old 11th March 2016, 10:14   #137
BHPian

Re: Calling all Team-BHP Farmers : The Farming Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Looking for ideas on what to grow with:
1. About half acre
2. Water available
3. Average labor input should not be high
4. Not too much investment

Something simple to grow, with a periodic yield.

Happy to do it the organic way.
Half an acre isn't a whole lot, so how about something exotic like avocado? I know someone in Bangalore who grew a single avocado tree in his plot and he has been selling the crop for years to an organic store for a pretty penny. Avocados are not something that has a ready market, so buyers are few but they tend to have a long-term relationship.

Growing avocados is tricky, but they do grow in Karnataka though I am not sure of Northern Karnataka. Sikkim is a major producer and they use organic farming for avocados there. You will need to do a whole lot of research if you get into this especially since I am not an agriculturist.

If regular yield is not a concern, then something that requires zero effort over the years is teak wood. But someone I know had 3 trees cut from right under their noses in Hassan, so I am not sure how that works out these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Some horticulture products like Sapota or Mango?.
With diabetes raging all over the country, I have found that fruit trees can sometimes work as poison. These fruit trees usually give a bountiful harvest once a year and not year round. My experience is that it is very difficult to control the urge to consume these fruits especially when they are ripening willy-nilly all around.
Old 11th March 2016, 14:05   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Half an acre isn't a whole lot, so how about something exotic like avocado?
Thanks for that tip ! Half acre is more like a starting point ... trying to get things in motion. More space is available if required - and with a good plan in place.
Old 14th March 2016, 16:18   #139
BHPian

May be of interest to townies with an interest in farming...

Organic Mandya

Have any of the Bangalore/ Mysore based BHPians come across this person or his outlet?
Old 6th April 2016, 11:17   #140
BHPian

Re: Mango varieties

My family is planning to plant mango in a six-acre farm near Zaheerabad/Bidar. Red soil, decent amount of water. Want to seek suggestions on the best varieties to plant that will grow well in this soil, weather and will also be in demand going forward. Thinking of a mix of Dussheri, Kesar, Benishaan/Banganapally, Himayat, Rasaalu, Panduri/Safeda, Alphonso, Mallika etc.

On the aside - is panduri same as safeda? Will Alphonso from this region have a decent flavour/taste compared to the original variety?

Need advice, what are the fruit trees that we should consider for own consumption within the farm? Jackfruit, Seethaphal, Chiku, Figs etc. Which of these grow well in this area?

Last edited by skumare : 6th April 2016 at 11:25.
Old 7th May 2017, 22:11   #141
PGA
BHPian

I grow vegetables in my farm close to Ludhiana. I grow potatoes, cucumber, tomatoes and cauliflower. Since demonetisation in Nov price of produce has crashed and we are unable to recover even the cost of cultivation.
I have heard that some farmers in Maharashtra have formed an FPO (Farm Producers Organisation) and are selling their produce as a cooperative.

Does anyone has an experience of working with or in an FPO. Is the marketing being done at retail level or at wholesale level. We did try to market at retail level but since it is time consuming process and it was taking time to understand the consumer preference we left it. I will be grateful if some one can share their experience of marketing the produce. Regards
Old 14th May 2017, 09:09   #142
BHPian

http://www.vfpck.org/farmer_market.asp

You could look at this link. The Vegetables and Fruit Promotion Council, Kerala has been successfully running farmer markets.
You could consider sending your produce to them or seek guidelines for setting up a similar system
Old 19th May 2018, 15:40   #143
BHPian

Hello fellow members!

Is this the right time to head to Srinivaspur (near Kolar) to buy mangoes? Planning for tomorrow.

Had been there 2 years ago, were told in the market that we were still 2 weeks early. This was in 1st week of May 2016. Didn't go back after that.

Any tips, suggestions on what to buy, what not to buy and where to buy from?

Looking to purchase around 60 to 70 kgs. of raw mangoes that can be ripened at home, and the pulp deep frozen, to be had during the next 12 months.

Any other places worth exploring? I remember multiple vendors dotting the Krishnagari Salem highway, but never made a purchase there.

Thanks in advance for your inputs.
Old 19th May 2018, 19:39   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
Any other places worth exploring? I remember multiple vendors dotting the Krishnagari Salem highway, but never made a purchase there.

Ramanagar on Mysore road has a Mango mandi. You will get a wide variety at a reasonable price. Alphonso/ Badami variety is to die for.
Old 18th June 2018, 11:50   #145
BHPian

Very informative and refreshing thread. Thanks for starting this and indeed team-bhp is an one stop shop for wider information.

I am from Chennai and would like to try my hands in farming. My grandfather was a farmer, mostly rice and paddy, but we have sold most of the land at my hometown as my dad was not into it. But for me, it always have a special place in my heart to try my hands in it and try doing it properly. I don’t have much of the farming background and itching to learn.

We have a close to 2 acre land within the city surrounded by apartments, which I am planning to use it as a start. The idea is to have 8-10 domestic cows (A2 milk, Gir/Kankrej), 30-40 country chickens for eggs produce, few pets (dogs, parrots etc.,) along with organic vegetables and fruits for own consumption and to sell the surplus with a store inside.

Not planning to do this as a hobby (as mentioned, farming is a rich man’s hobby) but to target as self-sustained model, where I don’t have to burn my Gandhi’s maintaining it. A house for the care taker will be built inside and have to find a trustable farmer. Also inclined to support their kids education as a gesture to give something back to him since schools in city could be expensive. My dream is also to start a restaurant, which I could plan it later if things look promising.

The business idea is not to go and sell the produce at door steps, but to invite people to visit the farm and experience it. If they are interested they could buy our produce. People can come early in the mornings, where they could get fresh milk. We could give a tour of the farm for those interested. Also they could trade their kitchen waste for vegetables, which could be used for our composting. Planning for a 4000 sqft lawn, with benches and shade to sit with kids play area.The benefit being, its next to residential area, I am expecting people to take interest and spend some quality time within the farm.

While all these are concepts in my head, not sure how much of this is practical. Not a clue yet on where to start, but planning to get the soil testing done to see what kind of crops are suitable for it. It was an agriculture land earlier, where kids use to play cricket now. Due to urbanization all the surrounding farms have been converted to high raises. Have to visit few farms and get an idea of how its done.

Questions:
  1. Planning to hire an agriculture consultant for a minimum of 1 year to set things up. Is it a good idea? If yes, where to look for them?
  2. Anyone one here had or have a similar idea, I would love to collobrate.
  3. From your experience would this be a self-sustainable model, atleast from year 3?
  4. Would you be interested to spend or buy from a farm like this concept?
  5. What possible negatives should I be prepared for?
  6. Agriculture loans, lots of mis-information on the net. Probably I am looking at the wrong places, will I be eligible for a farmer loan?
  7. How do I find what kind of support can I receive from the local agricultural bodies (Govt/NGO)
  8. If incase I would like to market my brand as organic, what all certifications should I apply for and what’s the usual wait time? (apedawebsite, the right place?). Am I allowed to have the word organic in my farm’s tagline like “refreshingly organic”, without being certified?
  9. If you have a farm, can I come visit?

Last edited by razorBlades : 18th June 2018 at 11:54.
Old 18th June 2018, 15:40   #146
BHPian

Generally a farmer is eligible for a Kisan Credit Card loan at chep interest rates. However, don't know whether your land is even considered agricultural in the revenue records now.
Search for zero budget farming or Permaculture farming. There is a big Facebook group of Permaculture enthusiasts that can guide you. You can visit their workshops or even employ them to design and deploy a permaculture based farm for you. Permaculture is all about learning from the nature and let nature takes it's course. It is a self sustainable model which makes provisions for storage of rainwater etc and helps maintain a farm with a very resource-light approach

P. S. - A2 milk is not only of Indigenous varieties of cattle. That is false information being spread around to charge more money from gullible janta so that dairy farming from indigenous breeds can remain profitable, which otherwise it may not.
Firstly, the A2 genome can also be found in foreign breeds. Secondly, if we were to cross breed and A2 cow with A1, the majority production of the casein protein in that cross-bred animal is of the A2 type as well. In India, all cows are cross-bred cows only and hence, even if they are A1A2 type instead of A2A2 type, the milk they produce is of A2 type only. This information is from a study conducted by scientists at NBAGR, Karnal.

In your case, indigenous breeds will be better choice as you don't wish to turn this into a business and they are much easier to take care of in our climate.
Old 18th June 2018, 16:00   #147
PGA
BHPian

Farming cannot be undertaken as a mere hobby unless you are willing to constantly pour in funds to keep yourself engaged and entertained.
To having a self sustaining model you will need to devote considerable effort and time. Farming at the mentioned scale can neither be process controlled nor will yield adequate returns at least in the initial years to hire trained hands. So I wouldn't recommend hiring a consultant. All your doubts and questions will be easily answered on the internet, maintain a close liaison with local Agri Officer and local Agri Univ/ kvk, they can assist you better.
Before moving ahead do ascertain land status, many places diary/ farming is not permitted in residential areas.
Farming is also a kind of communal activity, you would need assistance from the local farming community on one aspect or the other. It's quite difficult to run inside four walls.
Old 19th June 2018, 21:31   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorBlades View Post
We have a close to 2 acre land within the city surrounded by apartments, which I am planning to use it as a start. The idea is to have 8-10 domestic cows (A2 milk, Gir/Kankrej), 30-40 country chickens for eggs produce, few pets (dogs, parrots etc.,) along with organic vegetables and fruits for own consumption and to sell the surplus with a store inside....
Looks like you are mixing farming and Animal husbandry, both are independent paths which take a huge effort and involve risks.

My 2cents.
Given your small scale rather than traditional farming, if you can put up a greenhouse explore Hydroponics. Once you get the basics right the returns are much more guaranteed when compared to traditional farming.
I do not do any farming, but had done some research on Hydroponics with a friend of mine. However we have not taken the plunge yet.

There are lots of sources in Youtube etc..
Old 28th June 2018, 13:51   #149
BHPian

Thanks guys for your view and help. I am running thru the DIY's on home garden to have a quick exposure on growing veggies and fruits. Hopefully I come out with good yield to gain confidence to go to the next level.
Old 30th August 2018, 16:18   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGA View Post
Farming cannot be undertaken as a mere hobby unless you are willing to constantly pour in funds to keep yourself engaged and entertained.
All your doubts and questions will be easily answered on the internet, maintain a close liaison with local Agri Officer and local Agri Univ/ kvk, they can assist you better.
Before moving ahead do ascertain land status, many places diary/ farming is not permitted in residential areas.
Farming is also a kind of communal activity, you would need assistance from the local farming community on one aspect or the other. It's quite difficult to run inside four walls.
Hi PGA,

I see from your status that you are from Ludhiana and from your comments I assume that you are more than knowledgeable about farming in Punjab.

Some background: I am based in Jalandhar and I am in talks to acquire an acre of agri land near Jalandhar. Now, I have absolutely no connection with farming even going three generations back, but this idea of owning a farm land and growing my own produce had increasingly taken seed in my mind, and sometime back I decided to follow my intuition.

If you can answer a few questions it would be a great help to me.

1) Can non agriculturalist buy agri land in Punjab? I have consulted lawyers, asked this question to folks in the SDM complex and of course property dealers. All told me I can buy it without concern, but I am somehow not very convinced. I also attempted to read the Punjab Land Cieling Act and the ammended Punjab land records act. I couldn't from my limited abilities find any mention of barring non agriculturalists from owning farm land. At the same I read that states like Gujarat and Karnataka explicitly debar non-farmers from owning farm land. Do you have any insights on this topic?

2) I plan to construct a 1 room set on the land (for me to stay on the land) - does that alter the land use in any way, in other words will that be illegal?

3) I plan to utilize the land to grow and supply to my house own cultivated vegetables and fruits - is that utopian thinking?

4) I am already in the process of reading more about farming and farming traditions in Punjab, but what would be your top 3 must do things for a novice like me?

Last edited by rrsteer : 30th August 2018 at 16:19.

Most Viewed