Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2018, 09:11   #151
PGA
BHPian

Re: Calling all Team-BHP Farmers : The Farming Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Hi PGA,

Now, I have absolutely no connection with farming even going three generations back, but this idea of owning a farm land and growing my own produce had increasingly taken seed in my mind, and sometime back I decided to follow my intuition.

If you can answer a few questions it would be a great help to me.

1) Can non agriculturalist buy agri land in Punjab?

2) I plan to construct a 1 room set on the land (for me to stay on the land) - does that alter the land use in any way, in other words will that be illegal?

3) I plan to utilize the land to grow and supply to my house own cultivated vegetables and fruits - is that utopian thinking?

4) I am already in the process of reading more about farming and farming traditions in Punjab, but what would be your top 3 must do things for a novice like me?
Hi, welcome to the tribe, the answer to your queries are as below:

- There is no problem to owning agriculture land in Punjab by a non agriculturist. Land in Punjab as in other parts of the country has been classified as residential, forest, agriculture (sub classified as irrigated/ non irrigated and some more), industrial, barren etc etc. The problem is only when you wish to use it for a purpose other than what has it been classified for. Some municipalities also have an issue with agriculture land within their areas as it impacts their master plans. So be aware of all these major aspects and local Patwari of the area where you desire to purchase the plot, will gladly assist you with all these details for a small consideration.

- Secondly be clear about irrigation rights aspect prior to purchase of agricultural land, will the existing arrangement withstand or you will have to make a new one.

- Construction of room set will not change the land use.

- Its a great idea if one can grow his own food, very satisfying experience as well. With one acre you will be able to grow wheat and paddy for your home needs as well veges and fruits, you may also keep livestock for milk. BUT they will need huge effort, time and inputs. In the end when you will work out the economics of it all, you will probably reap cucumbers for Rs 500 per kg and cabbage for Rs 250 per kg. Input costs are huge. Horticulture is an art form and takes a lifetime of learning so be prepared for some bumpy ride in the start.

- Be aware of societal and social implications of one acre farm, food is a scarce commodity in hinterland even in prosperous state of Punjab.

- For meeting vege needs of the family, area of 4x4 mts area is considered adequate if you want fruits as well 25x25 mt area is required. PAU has some good material on home gardening or you can approach KVK Nurmahal, they will very happily assist you. Some veges can be grown soil less in your balcony or roof as well, or you may use hydroponic methods as well.

- There are many philosophies of farming like organic, natural, bio dynamic and so called modern scientific and their amalgamations, read about them and form up your mind as to what kind appeals to you. Sowing and harvesting are easiest parts of growing crops, managing disease, pest and weeds require serious effort, you explore nature and it thrills you to no end.

- I have sent my number across in pm, give me a call whenever convenient.
Old 26th September 2018, 18:33   #152
Senior - BHPian

Strawberry. As a crop, what are your views?
Considering it has a short shelf life from harvest?
Do you think the Southern part of India would be able to intake volumes for this berry?
Old 29th September 2018, 14:33   #153
BHPian

I hope this is the right place for this question - Currently I live in Bangalore. We have about 60-acres of agricultural land somewhere in UP that is being taken care of by other members in the (extended) family.

My dad visits the place a bit more frequently (about once in 2-years) than I do (about once in 4-years). I do now intend to be more involved in the process.

One challenge we have is this - lack of clarity about the plots that are actually ours and how to mark (demarcate) them. We are easily confused on this front.

Before I visit there next (yet to plan on this), I would like to do my homework and have some way to actually map out the land that is spread around in the area (it's not a single contiguous one). Digitize it, and have relevant printouts so confusion is minimized.

If some one has done it earlier, could you please share your insights on it? I was thinking satellite imagery, but I am not yet aware of any software (preferably open source) that will help us accomplish this.

Much Thanks.
Old 29th September 2018, 22:26   #154
PGA
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post

One challenge we have is this - lack of clarity about the plots that are actually ours and how to mark (demarcate) them. We are easily confused on this front.
If you have the numbers of your land then you need to visit local Patwari and ask him to show you the map of the area, you can easily figure out your land on that map. Its a standard Govt map traced on a big cloth sheet, you can photostat it keep it for your record.

Some states have digitised the land records and you can access them on net as well.
Old 30th September 2018, 09:22   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGA View Post
need to visit local Patwari and ask him to show you the map of the area, you can easily figure out your land on that map. Its a standard Govt map traced on a big cloth sheet, you can photostat it keep it for your record.

Some states have digitised the land records and you can access them on net as well.
Thanks, PGA. Will look in that right away.
Old 21st November 2018, 16:53   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing View Post
Is there some forum, groups, etc where i can possibly speak to experts, consultants (if at all) and resources I can get my hands on or get connected with?
This thread would be one such place.
Old 21st November 2018, 17:02   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
If anyone needs any technical know how feel free to throw questions at me.
Will inbox you inder.
Old 23rd February 2019, 21:45   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

Question regarding mango trees: A couple of trees here have flowered, and now small raw mangoes are coming up. But these drop down - each about the size of a thumb. What is missing ? Any fertilizer required ? how much ?
Old 24th February 2019, 07:52   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Question regarding mango trees: A couple of trees here have flowered, and now small raw mangoes are coming up. But these drop down - each about the size of a thumb. What is missing ? Any fertilizer required ? how much ?
Did you get the pesticide sprayed the second time when the mangoes were small, say like they were size of Jowar seed? We used to spray the pesticide twice - once when the flowering was just beginning - in the month of November and again in the month of Jan/Feb. We had Alphonso trees and the place was Dharwad.

The indication of the trees having infected by pests is usually the shining and sticky patches on the leaves. The javari (naati) variety usually are more robust and were less affected.
Old 24th February 2019, 08:20   #160
BHPian

Quote:
We had a similar things happening with our Avocados in B'lore. We connected with folks in our village farm and they suggested we use ash and manure [will double check and confirm on this sometime this week]. They mentioned, if there's no obvious infestations, it's usually an issue related with lower potassium in the soil.

Their suggestion did fix our problem of premature avocado dropping.

Will update again, shortly.
Old 24th February 2019, 10:47   #161
PGA
BHPian

Fruit trees shed fruit for number of reasons some of them are,
Nutritional deficiency, which is normally visible at flowering stage. Fertilisation is best done prior to flowering stage, one can do it during fruiting stage as well but the impact will not be as much.
Overbearing, no harm, upto 15 to 20 percent maybe shed, size and taste of the remaining will more than compensate for the loss.
Weather
Pest, very visible, look for insect bites on skin or cut open a dropped fruit to look for larva inside.
Though I don't have any affiliations with the company or any other interest, farmers or hobbyist may consider having a look at plantix app, it's indeed helpful in crop management and gives you out natural solutions before embarking on chemical control

Last edited by PGA : 24th February 2019 at 10:48.
Old 24th February 2019, 11:05   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
Did you get the pesticide sprayed the second
We have not sprayed pesticides. The trees must be Alphonso.

Quote:
Their suggestion did fix our problem of premature avocado dropping.

Will update again, shortly.
Please check - I will add some Potassium fertilizer & manure. By ask do you mean just leaf / wood burnt-ash ?
Old 12th March 2019, 20:24   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Where can i get vegetable seeds of indigenous variety ?
Old 13th March 2019, 21:10   #164
BHPian

Quote:
We have not sprayed pesticides. The trees must be Alphonso.

Please check - I will add some Potassium fertilizer & manure. By ask do you mean just leaf / wood burnt-ash ?

Much apologies for getting back so late. For a variety of reasons, I could not login to T-Bhp all this while.

What they burned and put around the tree to arrest premature falling - ash from burned twigs, wood, fallen dry leaves etc + ash from dried cow-dung!

Quote:
Where can i get vegetable seeds of indigenous variety ?
On the Bannerghatta side, we used to get some seeds, saplings etc from this place right opposite the Meenakshi Mall. Forgetting the name at the moment - it is one of those Karnataka State Govt related ones (I think!).

Towards north B'lore, we have got seeds and saplings from the GKVK campus.
Old 13th March 2019, 21:20   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
On the Bannerghatta side, we used to get some seeds, saplings etc from this place right opposite the Meenakshi Mall. Forgetting the name at the moment - it is one of those Karnataka State Govt related ones (I think!).

Towards north B'lore, we have got seeds and saplings from the GKVK campus.
Thanks Miyata. There is one GoK centre between Arakere signal & Meenakshi temple. However, I dont think the Govt centres pursue indigenous varieties. The focus has typically been "high yielding" and that kind of stuff.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks