Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2019, 06:33   #166
BHPian

Re: Calling all Team-BHP Farmers : The Farming Thread!

Our family owns a farm in Solapur. No pics as of yet. We (me and my cousins squeezed into a Maruti 800) would go there, spread a mat and eat on the ground What days those were! And we would then run around and make a ruckus.
Old 14th March 2019, 07:49   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balderash_12 View Post
Our family owns a farm in Solapur. No pics as of yet. We (me and my cousins squeezed into a Maruti 800) would go there, spread a mat and eat on the ground What days those were! And we would then run around and make a ruckus.
Nice ! Where in/near Solapur, if I may ask ? Cousins live in Akkalkot, so I have been kind of regular to that part of the country
Old 14th March 2019, 12:44   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The focus has typically been "high yielding" and that kind of stuff.
My recollection here might be questionable, but I think they asked us if we wanted the hybrid kind or the "regular" ones.

If I visit any of these mentioned places, will double check with them to update.

My dad used to be a regular visitor to the one in front of the Meenkashi Mall, BG Rd. Will check with him again on his next visit. He is generally very particular about the proper-desi (or local) varieties and is not a fan of the high-yielding ones. So much so that he has developed long-term kinship with a few farmers in the US who manage to send him seeds of various vegetables that are supposedly all natural and no GM stuff. That is where I get my regular supply of lettuce!
Old 15th March 2019, 10:21   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
I hope this is the right place for this question - Currently I live in Bangalore. We have about 60-acres of agricultural land somewhere in UP that is being taken care of by other members in the (extended) family.

My dad visits the place a bit more frequently (about once in 2-years) than I do (about once in 4-years). I do now intend to be more involved in the process.

One challenge we have is this - lack of clarity about the plots that are actually ours and how to mark (demarcate) them. We are easily confused on this front.

Before I visit there next (yet to plan on this), I would like to do my homework and have some way to actually map out the land that is spread around in the area (it's not a single contiguous one). Digitize it, and have relevant printouts so confusion is minimized.

If some one has done it earlier, could you please share your insights on it? I was thinking satellite imagery, but I am not yet aware of any software (preferably open source) that will help us accomplish this.

Much Thanks.
Hi there, I was involved in a few land deals in the past year or so, therefore sharing my new found wisdom. First thing is to make sure your land documents are all with you. Titles, plot numbers etc etc. Then you need to make sure that all the relevant taxes have been paid for your land. With the up-to date papers you need to get in contact with someone from the Land office of your area. In West Bengal , all this is handled by the BLRO (Block Land Reform Office). You will need to find an equivalent office in your area.

There you need to do a thorough search of your land records. You need to correlate what your land documents in your possession say with what the Govt record says about your land holdings. Then once you do that, you need to hire a person who actually measures the land. We call them Govt. Aamin here in West Bengal. He will measure out the areas and give you the exact position of your land. If you have the finances then I would strongly suggest you to install permanent markings once the land measurement is done so as to minimize hassle in the future.

With such a a large area, i.e 60 acres, there may be encroachments. Best way is to deal with the situation delicately and not with force. It will save you a lot of hassle in the long term.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 26th March 2019 at 08:44. Reason: line spacing for better readability
Old 16th March 2019, 08:03   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post
Best way is to deal with the situation delicately and not with force. It will save you a lot of hassle in the long term.
Thanks for the detailed write up. I have a trip coming up Nov/Dec this year. Have forwarded the information you posted to folks in the family so everyone's aligned and on same page.

I've spoken to folks on fencing off major chunk of the land. For now the plan is for each land segment to generate its own revenues for its border fencing.
Old 16th March 2019, 08:21   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
I've spoken to folks on fencing off major chunk of the land. For now the plan is for each land segment to generate its own revenues for its border fencing.
Here in Karnataka that would be called Surveying the land. Typically, all affected owners will be there when the work is done. This way, the all land owners will be on same page. When the verification of the boundary of the property is done, Suggest to put in a suitable marker then and there. You may want to hire labourers and keep suitable material (may be some concrete pillars etc) on hand so that you can at least mark the corners.
Old 26th March 2019, 08:26   #172
Distinguished - BHPian

Suggestions, please/

Looking for fruit trees, with the constraint of max height 20 feet. (there is a power transmission line above that spot).

exclude - papaya, banana, guava etc. Looking for medium size trees.
Old 26th March 2019, 11:41   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Suggestions, please/

Looking for fruit trees, with the constraint of max height 20 feet. (there is a power transmission line above that spot).

Avacado, miracel friut... maybe?
Old 26th March 2019, 14:07   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Avacado, miracel friut... maybe?
Thanks. Though first preference is for desi fruits
Old 27th March 2019, 10:42   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Suggestions, please/

Custard Apple tree possibly is in tune with your requirement as it is a short tree. Certain Mango cultivars are possible too.
Beejay is from Nilgiris and so suggests plants suitable for his hills climate. We live in plains and so many of the hill plants are not an option.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 27th March 2019 at 11:48. Reason: formatting
Old 27th March 2019, 11:12   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Custard Apple tree possibly is in tune with your requirement as it is a short tree. Certain Mango cultivars are possible too.
Beejay is from Nilgiris and so suggests plants suitable for his hills climate. We live in plains and so many of the hill plants are not an option.
Thanks Prowler, for both points. Will check the Custard apples and the mango. Yes, custard apples are not tall.
Old 27th March 2019, 11:44   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Suggestions, please/
Not an expert, but Pomegranate and Guava came to my mind at first thought. They can probably be pruned to restrict height if needed. I believe they are native to our lands too.

Last edited by 21Archer84 : 27th March 2019 at 11:47.
Old 27th March 2019, 11:47   #178
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Suggestions, please/

Citrus? Whats the climate like. Oranges, and Kinnow's are very popular and have good yields in Himalayan foothills. Most successful crop of our farm
Old 27th March 2019, 11:53   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Archer84 View Post
Not an expert, but Pomegranate and Guava came to my mind at first thought.
Pomegranate - the shorter hybrid plants available more. Will need to search for native / taller varieties. Guava, yes - on list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Citrus? Whats the climate like.
Down here in the plains. Bangalore. Doubtful of fruits that need cooler climes.
Old 27th March 2019, 12:03   #180
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Pomegranate - the shorter hybrid plants available more. Will need to search for native / taller varieties. Guava, yes - on list.

Down here in the plains. Bangalore. Doubtful of fruits that need cooler climes.
Temperature in lower foothills range from 5C to 45C. Bangalore would be like 15-35 I think in the rural areas. Citrus requires a more Mediterranean climate. Research different types of Orange family fruits like Oranges, mandarins, clementines etc.,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks