Team-BHP > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: I read most my books in...
Paper book format 253 61.86%
Amazon Kindle 101 24.69%
Apple iPad 9 2.20%
Android Tablet 12 2.93%
B&B Nook 5 1.22%
Sony eBook Reader 0 0%
Smartphone 18 4.40%
Others (mention in post) 6 1.47%
Kobo eReader 5 1.22%
Voters: 409. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2004, 06:30   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (ported_head @ Oct. 21 2004,13:32)]Mainly non-fiction whenever time permits. I've been looking for Satanic Verses for a long time now. Still can't get my hands on a copy. Anybody know where i could get a copy for sure?
U shud get it at Oxford Bookstore,Churchgate.They have an amazing database.I have literally brought maximum of my books from there.
Incase u dunt get it there,try Crossword or Strand book store.
Happy hunting.

X
Old 25th October 2004, 12:05   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]U shud get it at Oxford Bookstore,Churchgate.They have an amazing database.I have literally brought maximum of my books from there.
Incase u dunt get it there,try Crossword or Strand book store.
IIRC it's still banned in India so i don't think it'll be available at the bigger bookstores - but the pavement wallah will have it - including pirated copies.

Catch-22, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy are a couple of others which i'd recommend...

Old 25th October 2004, 13:45   #18
BHPian

I used to be an ardent reader but not anymore
I love short stories my fav authors being edgar allen poe, roald dahl, maupassant and o henry.
i am also a major pg wodehouse fan.
In the non-fiction category, I like reading military history.

PS. Would have to disagree with you guys on DaVinci Code. Great plot to start with but very ordinary and repetative writing. Dan Brown just goes on and on about his feminine symbols, hidden codes and lame puzzles. VERY overrated, IMHO.
sid_lath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2004, 03:04   #19

Am majorly into reading...but too many faves to just mention a few. I like everything from fiction to non-fiction....fave authors include Jack Kerouac, Ayn Rand etc etc.
These days reading lots of beat literature.
Old 27th October 2004, 15:18   #20
BHPian

I was majorly into reading..nowadays hardly get the time to pickup books.

My favs were ..rather are
Alistair McLean,Arthur Hailey,John Grisham,Sidney Sheldon,COLIN FORBES (i luv his actions),Robert Ludlum and sometimes Harold Robbins

I also like reading history, different places, books on Travel & Tourism
Old 28th October 2004, 01:57   #21
Senior - BHPian

Oh... this is beautiful... i just totally love MacLean and never knew there were so many of his fans here as well...

HMS Ulysees his first book was the first one of his i ever read as well. Zaphod even i started reading him in my 8th grade. The best part of his books are that the plots are simple, and turnaround so damn fast that it hooks you to stay up all night just to read them. My other favourites besides the ones he converted to films are The way to dusty death (a must for all fans of F-1. Gives you tremendous insights into what the sport nearly was in the late 60s and early 70s), Golden Gate, Golden Rendezvous and loads more. I still am finding it tough to collect all of them since some of his books like Where Eagles Dare, Guns/Force 10 of/from Navarone etc arent available. Keep scourging Fountain side for his books. Though some are still in print and are available at Crossword. And really cheap. 500 bucks gets you 6-8 books.

Besides Alistair, i like reading Clive Cussler, Jack Higgins and a few Clancys as well.

V12, i echo your voice on WW-II books. Have loads of them at home. Also atleast a 100 Commando comic books. The detailing in those tinny and cheap comics is just staggering.

Revvmaster
Old 28th October 2004, 11:18   #22
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]HMS Ulysees his first book was the first one of his i ever read as well. Zaphod even i started reading him in my 8th grade. The best part of his books are that the plots are simple, and turnaround so damn fast that it hooks you to stay up all night just to read them. My other favourites besides the ones he converted to films are The way to dusty death (a must for all fans of F-1. Gives you tremendous insights into what the sport nearly was in the late 60s and early 70s), Golden Gate, Golden Rendezvous and loads more. I still am finding it tough to collect all of them since some of his books like Where Eagles Dare, Guns/Force 10 of/from Navarone etc arent available. Keep scourging Fountain side for his books. Though some are still in print and are available at Crossword. And really cheap. 500 bucks gets you 6-8 books
hey revv,
i got a colllection of around 10-12 Alistair Maclean books. Tell me if u need them. Will post the names later. The first time I prchased AM books were on my trip to Mangalore 3 years back. Was goin by train and theres no way I would sit idle for so long. So went to the book stall at Kurla railway station and liked the short review on the last page. Got "Seawitch" and "Golden Rendezvous" at that time.
Old 28th October 2004, 11:31   #23
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

ok it didnt take me long to find all my AM books. Here are the names :

The Way to Dusty Death
Goodbye California
South by Java Head
Partisans
Death Train
San Andreas
Santorini
HMS Ulyses
Seawitch
Breakheart Pass
Athabasca
Bear Island
Dark Crusader
Air Force One is Down
Golden Gate
Force 10 from Navarone
Guns of Navarone
Golden Rendezvous
Night Without End

Also have lots of Hardy Boys books.

Anyways, just a passing thought. Any of u guys experienced this. Buying a suspense book and reading almost 75% of it and finding a few pages missing
Old 28th October 2004, 17:16   #24
F50
Senior - BHPian

Frankly speaking i hate reading ... may be datz y my car knowledge also lacks coz i have never ever completed one full mag. but i am changing though .... Now a days i do read them completely ...
As far as other books goes .... Currently im reading a Readers Digest' Select Edition .. In that im reading Steve Hamilton's Blood Is The Sky ....
And next on target is The Distant Echo by Val McDermid .... Followed by Gangsters And Gunmen
Old 28th October 2004, 17:35   #25
Senior - BHPian

Hahaha... V12 i have to give that to you to produce a list so fast

Well here's mine. The rest that are not there are on ur list, so i could do by reading those

Way to dusty death
Santorini
Puppet on a chain
The satan bug
South by Java Head
Golden Rendezvous
Golden Gate
Bear Island
Seawitch
Athabasca
Night without End

Revv
Old 29th October 2004, 00:13   #26
BHPian

I guess Team-Bhp can also double up as a Maclean club ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Air Force One is Down
havent heard of this one - is it by maclean himself or is it a screenplay by him turned into a novel by someone else (such as those new series with the UN security force.... death train etc..)

My advice is to buy the second hand ones - there is some weird pleasure i get in reading old yellowed novels...

once again to the maclean fans - get the sequels by sam llewellyn and meet Mallory, Miler and Andreas again ...
and check out Desmond Bagley...really worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]The best part of his books are that the plots are simple, and turnaround so damn fast that it hooks you to stay up all night just to read them
exactly..couldn't put it better...
Old 29th October 2004, 11:28   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Good Topic. I do a lot of daily reading, though the time span is more over the weekends than regular days. My kind of books are on strategising, business auto/biographies and on self-improvement.

The ones currently on my desk are:

Business Market Management - Anderson
Losing my virginity - Richard Branson
Michael Schumacher - Driven to Extremes

GTO

P.S. Can anyone source a copy of the Polyester Prince (Dhirubhai Ambani) for me? I'd really owe you one.
Old 29th October 2004, 11:45   #28
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (zaphod @ Oct. 28 2004,22:43)]I guess Team-Bhp can also double up as a Maclean club ... *

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Air Force One is Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]havent heard of this one - is it by maclean himself or is it a screenplay by him turned into a novel by someone else (such as those new series with the UN security force.... death train etc..)
This one's written by Alistair Macneil i guess.
Old 29th October 2004, 16:48   #29
Senior - BHPian

Oh so Force 10 from Navarone and Guns of Navarone are originally written by Mclean? Good ones. I have the movies made on the same. Guess i'll have to find the books to read now.
Since i've heard so much about it, would somebody be so kind as to lend me a copy of The Way to Dusty Death, to read, please?
Old 30th October 2004, 03:18   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ] would somebody be so kind as to lend me a copy of The Way to Dusty Death, to read, please?
Sure pal. Drop in and you can have the book. Anytime.

Revv

Most Viewed