Team-BHP > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: I read most my books in...
Paper book format 253 61.86%
Amazon Kindle 101 24.69%
Apple iPad 9 2.20%
Android Tablet 12 2.93%
B&B Nook 5 1.22%
Sony eBook Reader 0 0%
Smartphone 18 4.40%
Others (mention in post) 6 1.47%
Kobo eReader 5 1.22%
Voters: 409. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2023, 11:39   #1321
BHPian

Re: The Books Thread (Fiction)

Gone Tomorrow by Lee Child.
Rating: 4/5

Jack Reacher series is pretty much my indulgence whenever I need a break from non-fiction. Lee Child's style is entertaining and effusive, and I ran through the book in less than 4 days. A typical Reacher book it builds up the anticipation and is relentless in its narration. The second half is a tad let down with its slow(ish) pace and the expected denouement. Still a good read.

Have picked up a Peter James's non-fiction "House of the Cold Hill" and so far James seems pretty ordinary compared to Lee Child.
Attached Thumbnails
The Books Thread (Fiction)-lee-child.jpg  

ValarMorghulis is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2023, 09:13   #1322
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Book Thread (Fiction)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I have read all his books except Whirlwind. IMHO, Shogun is his best. In fact, that book started my lifelong Japanophilia, which was recently satiated by visiting Japan.
Shogun is being made into a mini-series, again, after 44 years.

Last time Toranaga was played by the legendary Toshiro Mifune. This time it will be Hiroyuki Sanada. I'll accept him, he will be the closest to Mifune.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2023, 09:56   #1323
Distinguished - BHPian

Quality of recent books from Jeffery Archer is a pale shadow of his older ones. While the Clifton Chronicles series was decent, Ever since he took the book within the book fictional character Warwick from Clifton Chronicles, he seems to be churning out bland detective stories featuring Warwick. The 6th book just released within a short period of 2-3 years. I don't even remember the names. Thin plot and lot of ramblings to get to the core of the story.

I keep buying hoping that his old form will come back. But no luck.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2023, 17:10   #1324
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
I am looking for "illustrated" Herman Melville's Moby Dick. Most of the books I find online are just text and there are no pictures in it. Any pointers?
Go and Browse in Blossom Book Shop on Church Street. You’ll be surprised at the veritable Ali Baba’s Cave of Treasures there.
Old 22nd November 2023, 14:34   #1325
BHPian

Past couple of weeks, I read following:
  1. Last King of Scotland by Giles Foden
    Book is slow at times. But a very easy read. I had watched the movie many years back. Need to revisit
  2. Pillars of the earth by Ken Follet
    Excellent book. I am yet to buy rest of the books in the series. I also learnt there is a TV series. Not available in India though

Currently reading -
  1. Constant Gardener by John Le Carre
    For some reason, I am progressing slowly on this.
  2. The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William L. Shirer
    WW2 is a fascinating subject for me. This book details the rise of Hitler from WW1 days. This is a digital tome. Available on Prime reading
  3. The Hobbit by JRR tolkien
    Bought the entire series few months back. Just started with the first book. Loved the movies !
Old 1st December 2023, 10:29   #1326
Distinguished - BHPian

Any Robert Jordan / Wheel of Time fans here?

After starting off the book series 2 years ago, I finally got back to it mid of this year and am now on book 13; with plans to complete that and the last book (#14) over the next few weeks. Must say I really got bogged down between book 6 - 9 and that took a gap of over a year for me to kickstart reading. Book 10 onwards has been pretty good and the pace is picking up fast over the current one I'm reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatananda.k View Post
[*]The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William L. Shirer
WW2 is a fascinating subject for me. This book details the rise of Hitler from WW1 days. This is a digital tome. Available on Prime reading
Good to see a fellow WW2 enthusiast. Btw you probably know this but there's a thread on WW2 (books, movies, etc.) which would have several posts on Shirer's book(s) as well as other authors.
Old 29th December 2023, 11:30   #1327
BHPian

All Systems red (Murderbot diaries #1) by Martha Wells
Rating: 4/5

Oh, I love a good sci-fi especially that keeps you on your toes and this one reads like one. Fitting that it is being made into a TV series by Apple TV+. And if they maintain the standards set by Foundation, this will be a feast to watch.

Can't wait to read #2. Highly recommended.
Attached Thumbnails
The Books Thread (Fiction)-allsystemsred.jpg  

ValarMorghulis is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2024, 16:51   #1328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Any Robert Jordan / Wheel of Time fans here?
For some reason, I was put off by the Amazon series. If the books are good, I will go for it !

Completed couple more during the year end

Police by Jo Nesbo.
This is an English translation of the Norwegian language. The book is good in parts, and ends up with multiple loose ends. Not sure if something was lost in translation.

A Legacy of Spies by John Le Carre
Now this is really awesome. Without giving much details, it helps if you have read his previous books !

Currently reading
A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini. Almost half way through. I am enjoying this too

Last edited by shatananda.k : 2nd January 2024 at 17:20.
Old 29th March 2024, 11:38   #1329
BHPian

Title: Solaris by Stanisław Lem
Rating: 3.5/5

A good sci-fi is a treat to read especially if it involves a little bit of psychological mind-bending. Solaris is a pretty good read that keeps you puzzled and guessing for quite a long time.
It is absorbing and raises quite a many questions. I think it is weak at its denouement where it fails because of the high expectations.

Still recommended.
Attached Images

Most Viewed