Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2015, 11:25   #1906
BHPian

Re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
I just redeemed points for two Croma vouchers worth Rs.1000 each. Lets see if there is any catch. Hoping to use it in next few weeks.
I redeemed my HDFC reward points for the Croma vouchers too. Got the vouchers (actually they are gift cards, actual credit card type card) about 2 weeks after redemption.

Went to Croma with the card to check any conditions. They informed the vouchers are valid for one year from the date of issue and there is no catch. You can purchase anything and if purchase amount is more than voucher amount, balance can be paid in cash or card. If purchase amount is less than voucher amount, voucher balance will be void & not carried forward.
Old 9th July 2015, 12:24   #1907
Senior - BHPian

I noticed today that ICICI has charged me Rs. 25 towards "reward redemption fee".
Somehow I do not remember redeeming points of late.

Has anyone seen this in their statements?
Old 9th July 2015, 13:59   #1908
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I noticed today that ICICI has charged me Rs. 25 towards "reward redemption fee".
Somehow I do not remember redeeming points of late.

Has anyone seen this in their statements?
Yes, ICICI bank has been charging for redeeming reward points from June 2014. See link:

http://www.icicibank.com/Personal-Ba...rd-reward.page

Quite frankly, most of the card companies have been increasing the charges or tweaking the rewards programs to make it less attractive. They have also been increasing the interest charges. Its only the premium cards that have good reward programs, but then there's an annual fee for most of them, or a very high minimum spend. Just goes to prove the old adage: There's no such thing as a free lunch.
Old 9th July 2015, 14:42   #1909
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I have not been too happy with HDFC's rewards and redemption. There are not many good choices and the valuation of points is on the lower side, compared to ICICI or others.
As a result, I have cut usage of this card and do most transactions with ICICI.
I had around 14000 points accumulated over many years and hardly got anything good.
Please keep redeeming the reward points since they expire after a few years time frame.

You can opt for Lifestyle/Shoppers Stop/Pantaloons gift vouchers. These can be used to purchase any item of your choice.

Rohan
Old 9th July 2015, 14:51   #1910
BHPian

Has anyone opted for ICICI card protection program ? Is it worth it ?
Old 9th July 2015, 23:22   #1911
BHPian

An annoying experience about an otherwise satisfactory card - StanChart Manhattan.

Last year, pending receipt of the chip-embedded card, I called up customer care to reduce my credit limit as a precaution against theft. While doing so, the only caution they gave me was that no further change would be possible for six months. I was cool with that and reduced my limit from 75k to 35k.

The smartcard was subsequently delivered but due to the six month restriction I called up customer care last week to have the credit limit reinstated -- which they expressed their inability to do, citing the requirement of a paper application to the branch with proof of income, etc. as the process. Luckily there is a Stan chart branch close to home and I dropped in yesterday to ask what this was all about. Once again the staff were not helpful and kept maintaining that this amounted to an 'enhancement of credit limit', never mind that I've had the card for nearly six years now and except at the time of issuance have never asked for income proof to keep the (not very high) 75k limit active.

In comparison, my ICICI credit card limit is easy to reduce and then reinstate and this particular issue has not troubled me.
Old 13th July 2015, 13:49   #1912
BHPian

Need some advice:

I took an American express prepaid card as part of the redemption of my points. I misplaced the card, and unfortunately it expired. By the time I found it, it had expired. Strangely American express says the amount gets forfeited and I lost all the money. My point is that it is prepaid, so money cannot be taken away from it, they could charge some money for reissue of the card (same amount they do for a lost credit card). The other strange observation is that they have different terms and conditions on their websites, the global one says prepaid cards never expire while the Indian one talks about forfeiting the money after expiry.
Do I have a strong point to take up with consumer forum or would it be waste of time?

Last edited by kvish : 13th July 2015 at 13:49. Reason: Spelling
Old 14th July 2015, 13:37   #1913
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
Just wait and see. in my case my platinum plus chip card with spending thresholds for fee waiver was converted to life time free superia card. They have sent a mail also. it was done this year January.
Well, the hdfc card has arrived and it comes with a 1st yr fee waiver if spend is <10k within 90 days of setup and with a renewal fee of 500rs (waived off it spends are >50K in the year). Time to email customer care on this.

I hate this cheap crooked upsell tactics by these pvt banks/credit card companies.
Old 14th July 2015, 16:36   #1914
BHPian

Gents,

I've been given an HDFC credit card with a very measly credit limit.

My monthly income exceeds the limit on the card, which is why I'm not exactly keen on keeping it.

But if I do wish to keep it, what would be the procedure to go about increasing the limit on the card?

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks & cheers!
Old 14th July 2015, 19:13   #1915
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Gents,

I've been given an HDFC credit card with a very measly credit limit.

My monthly income exceeds the limit on the card, which is why I'm not exactly keen on keeping it.

But if I do wish to keep it, what would be the procedure to go about increasing the limit on the card?

You can login to Netbanking and check for an option to enhance credit limit. You will see the higher amount only if you are eligible for it(Based on your spend and repayment).

Another alternative is apply for another credit card, preferably SBI in case you want higher credit limit !
Old 14th July 2015, 19:23   #1916
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Gents,
Just call the customer service and they will do it after verifying your identity and will also send you a OTP which you will have to enter while on the call.

Hardly takes a few minutes.

This is the number BTW 9840673333.

Last edited by batterylow : 14th July 2015 at 19:24. Reason: Adding the number.
Old 28th July 2015, 16:36   #1917
Senior - BHPian

Can i pay the dues for SBI credit card with my HDFC credit card? I had done a sizable purchase on behalf of a friend and now he cant cough up the money, I can cover it up but only when the salary gets credit on the month after, so i need to tide over till the end of august. So is this is a viable option? I cannot get my credit get a hit as I would be looking at a home loan in the near future.
Old 28th July 2015, 17:00   #1918
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Can i pay the dues for SBI credit card with my HDFC credit card?
I think this is called "balance transfer", but to the best of my knowledge this is akin to withdrawing money with the credit balance and interest will be charged from day 1 instead of the usual billing date plus 20 days interest free period.
Old 28th July 2015, 17:20   #1919
Team-BHP Support

ICICI Bank have recently 'upgraded' their online transaction systems to OTP-only (used to be OTP + 6-digit 3D Secure code earlier).

What's griding my gears is they've made OTP issuance mobile-only (used to be registered mobile + email address), so if my cellphone is inoperable for any reason (say I'm abroad without my Indian cellphone active and need to pay a utility bill urgently), I can no longer do it.

It's all 'to enhance security' apparently.

Before someone mentions 'i-Safe', I've tried that app before and it's inconsistent to say the least.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 28th July 2015 at 17:27.
Old 28th July 2015, 18:49   #1920
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Can i pay the dues for SBI credit card with my HDFC credit card? I had done a sizable purchase on behalf of a friend and now he cant cough up the money
Apart from the various modes of payment - cash / cheque / ATM / NEFT etc., SBI Credit Card bill payment option through net will only allow payment by net banking or debit cards.

So what batterylow says is correct -

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
I think this is called "balance transfer", but to the best of my knowledge this is akin to withdrawing money with the credit balance and interest will be charged from day 1 instead of the usual billing date plus 20 days interest free period.
Exactly. Some card issuers dangle the carrot of lower interest rates to wean away customers from other card issuers.

But, govigov, you always have the option of the converting the payment due into EMI for a short period, and bear the interest. Your credit will not take a hit. (AFAIK, if you avail loan from bank and repay it promptly, your credit score goes up! ). Also, you can check with SBI cards to find out whether you will get a interest rebate if the EMI is repaid quickly before the stipulated period.

Last edited by vrprabhu : 28th July 2015 at 18:50. Reason: grammatical error

Most Viewed