Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2016, 10:00   #2026
BHPian

Re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by manduvindupondu View Post
Hi Folks, want to cancel HDFC Bank credit card. Customer care is asking me to write a request letter and post to their Thiruvanmaiyur, Chennai address. Is it correct process and did anyone cancelled like this?
Posting a hard copy sounds so 1990's :-)
That's correct. This is one of the things I posted in another thread that they're worse than a public sector bank when it comes to processes.
Old 7th February 2016, 17:35   #2027
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
......they're worse than a public sector bank when it comes to processes.
No Siree, can't beat public sector banks that easy.

I needed to edit my SBI internet banking credentials for some reason. Imagine what the process is?

"Please contact the Branch Manager of your home branch in person with a request letter".

They wanted me to travel 1000+ miles back to my hometown to change a bloody username/password combination. I went from to in a few seconds!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 7th February 2016 at 17:38.
Old 7th February 2016, 21:55   #2028
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
No Siree, can't beat public sector banks that easy.

I needed to edit my SBI internet banking credentials for some reason. Imagine what the process is?

They wanted me to travel 1000+ miles back to my hometown to change a bloody username/password combination. I went from to in a few seconds!
Off topic, but:
It's a lot better these days. Take a look at https://www.sbi.co.in/portal/web/cus...ternet-banking

Quote:
Q. I have forgotten my login password:
A. Please go to trouble logging in and forgot password option. If you know correct username and profile password, duplicate password will be dispatched at your registered address.
If you do not know your profile password, reference number will be generated. Please download duplicate password form and submit it to your branch along with your reference number.
etc.

I could even reset the ATM PIN online which the branch folks weren't aware that it was possible. That saved me 51 Rs and a lot of waiting time and travelling to and forth the branch to collect the new PIN.
Old 8th February 2016, 14:36   #2029
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
Off topic....
It's a lot better these days.......
Off topic and I won't take it further down that road, but that's not really true.
I continue to use them for a few specific things, but their tech savvy is still a generation behind, to put it mildly. They aren't even aware of some services/functionalities they provide, and are pretty useless at providing 'how to' guidance on stuff they actually know about.

I just try to do DIY, or wait for my trips home to get work done in person.
Old 8th February 2016, 15:27   #2030
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Folks, want to cancel HDFC Bank credit card. Customer care is asking me to write a request letter and post to their Thiruvanmaiyur, Chennai address. Is it correct process and did anyone cancelled like this?
You can also drop it in any of the hdfc bank, drop boxes. They will forward it to credit card department.
Old 8th February 2016, 18:11   #2031
BHPian

Thanks CRV2010, I tried finding a dropbox but they are mainly inside HDFC banks. So I posted to their Chennai address by Snail mail. Jai Bharat Daak, aka India Post :-)
But I sincerely miss HDFC bank credit card's International usage "enable/disable" feature online. Hope other banks give this feature seamlessly.
Old 8th February 2016, 20:01   #2032
BHPian

Quote:
Yes you need to send application to Chennai address for closing your HDFC credit card infact you need to physically approach bank everytime you want to update your account info which is really frustating
Old 9th February 2016, 14:59   #2033
BHPian

Are there any banks offering single use credit card generation online for one time use in online shopping. There was one Netsafe from HDFC but I had hard time remembering the password and resetting it. Any other bank?
Old 9th February 2016, 15:09   #2034
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Are there any banks offering single use credit card generation online for one time use in online shopping. There was one Netsafe from HDFC but I had hard time remembering the password and resetting it. Any other bank?
Do you mean something like this?

https://www.sbi.co.in/portal/web/per...k-virtual-card

https://www.onlinesbi.com/personal/v..._card_faq.html

This is a debit card though.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 9th February 2016, 16:20   #2035
BHPian

Quote:
But I sincerely miss HDFC bank credit card's International usage "enable/disable" feature online. Hope other banks give this feature seamlessly.
SBI Cards offers this feature. You can enable or disable international usage of your cards.
Old 9th February 2016, 16:29   #2036
BHPian

Quote:
But i just saw this feature very much active on HDFC Website and have just enabled the international usage after login.
Old 10th February 2016, 08:14   #2037
BHPian

nkghai, what I meant was I was happy with the feature offered by HDFC bank credit card international usage "enable/disable". But now that I cancelled my HDFC credit card, I miss this feature as Indusind, Axis , Citi dont seem to offer this easily/online.
Do I need to call Customer care in Indusind, Axis, Citibank to deactivate International usage of my credit card?
Any thoughts please?
Old 11th February 2016, 23:52   #2038
BHPian

Guys,

I feel that I have been pushed to a corner now - and badly need some idea from you to get out of this.

Way back in July'2011, I had traveled with my wife to Tirunelveli and had stayed in a hotel - paid using my credit card. When the statement came next month, I had promptly paid it.

Fast-forward to December'2012, I get a credit-card statement for Rs.1500/- for a transaction made at same hotel. The date of the transaction was 06-Jul-2012.

I had called up SCB - stating that I had not traveled to Tirunelveli that year ('12) and it was a wrong statement.

I'm surprised to note that I couldn't trace even a single mail sent to SCB. I don't know if I had not sent any mail at all or if I'm unable to trace it. Whatsoever, I'm pretty confident that I had called them up (in fact many times) and had raised my concern.

Fast-forward to present (Feb'16). Booked a car; went for loan with SBI which promptly got rejected because of my low CIBIL rating - the reason for which is a sum of ~Rs.10,300/- that I owe to SCB since 2012.

I'm not much worried about my car-buying prospects now as I have my ever-serving Alto. What bothers me is prospects of getting any loans in the future.

Considering that I don't have any proof to claim that I had disputed in 2012 itself, what can I do now? Is paying ~Rs.10300/- & getting the 'No-Dues' the only way to come out of this situation?

I have always been having the habit of maintaining a clean credit history - with respect to all my credit cards and my home/auto loans. Now, it feels like I have been labelled as a 'defaulter' - for no fault of mine. Feels like being threatened to pay-up for something that I had not got. Was eagerly waiting to put a post in 'I-booked-my-car' thread; and I'm posting one here :(

Last edited by callvvijay : 11th February 2016 at 23:56.
Old 12th February 2016, 08:54   #2039
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Fast-forward to December'2012, I get a credit-card statement for Rs.1500/- for a transaction made at the same hotel. The date of the transaction was 06-Jul-2012.
Quote:
the reason for which is a sum of ~Rs.10,300/- that I owe to SCB since 2012.
It's a good idea to pay even disputed amounts in case Bank does not reverse or keep as suspense pending investigation. So is it because of late payment / interest charges that Rs 1500 have increased to Rs 10300? if this is the case then you should be able to negotiate many extra charges and come something closer to the original amount. Most of the banks are under pressure to clear old debts irrespective of amount. Ideally, you should have paid in 2012 and continued your correspondence for getting a refund but at this time, you won't have many options probably other than to settle and pay. CIBIL rankings are important.
Old 12th February 2016, 11:27   #2040
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post
Guys,

I feel that I have been pushed to a corner now - and badly need some idea from you to get out of this.

I had called up SCB - stating that I had not traveled to Tirunelveli that year ('12) and it was a wrong statement.
I have some doubts, what is the current state of the card? Have you never seen the statement after December-2012? Check mail boxes or online banking website and try to find out any references to the communication you had with SCB.

In my opinion, if you are not very keen in getting the car loan now, you can write to customer care and escalate as per the grievance resolution process followed by the bank. If you are not satisfied with the outcome you can even approach the banking ombudsman.

Other experts can pitch in and add more details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
It's a good idea to pay even disputed amounts in case Bank does not reverse or keep as suspense pending investigation..
In my opinion, the settling of the pending dues is not a good option. The bank will report to CIBIL that amount has been settled. That again indicates something wrong with the transaction.

Most Viewed