Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2016, 09:57   #2191
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
yes they do have annual fees but promptly have been reversing mine upon my request. also they have been kind enough to reverse late payment fees a few times although it was my fault.
The last part is what SBI refuses to do. Like - I had a due of 45.5k, but by mistake paid 44k. THey wont consider such small balances at all. But worse is the repayment channels - can drop cheques only in certain branches / most ATM's dont accept payment / else go in banking hours and pay at counter.

The annual fees may be reversed after a couple of years I guess. Not for a new customer.
Old 6th September 2016, 10:55   #2192
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Huh? HDFC Card owner for > 5 years here. They refund everything. Not refunding the service tax would be illegal.
They have refused to waive service tax in my case. Further, they clearly mention in their website and written communications about service tax being applicable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor
The Stanchard cards have annual fees too.
One more feature I want is ease of payment - where I can drop a cheque. Kotak is closest. Axis Bank ATM network is wide.
Annual fees are reversed if the spends are more than 60K per year. They are reversing my annual fees for the past two years.

Pay by NEFT why bother about drop box?
Old 6th September 2016, 11:10   #2193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
They have refused to waive service tax in my case. Further, they clearly mention in their website and written communications about service tax being applicable.
Please point me to the link on their website.

It can't be that the law applies one way to HDFC Bank and another way to Standard Chartered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Assessment based on personal experience and treatment. Its an opinion. Opinions differ.
Agreed. It wasn't clear to me that yours was an opinion in your first post - it was quite unqualified.
Old 6th September 2016, 11:26   #2194
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Annual fees are reversed if the spends are more than 60K per year. They are reversing my annual fees for the past two years.

Pay by NEFT why bother about drop box?
I Dont use netbanking

Quote:
It can't be that the law applies one way to HDFC Bank and another way to Standard Chartered.
Service charges are not waived by banks. Basically, the 2.5% surcharge is still in place by GoI. As long as this is there, the Service Tax will be there. waiving the 2.5% surcharge is with the bank. But ST is in the Govt's domain.
Old 6th September 2016, 11:42   #2195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Service charges are not waived by banks. Basically, the 2.5% surcharge is still in place by GoI. As long as this is there, the Service Tax will be there. waiving the 2.5% surcharge is with the bank. But ST is in the Govt's domain.
I filled 40.3 litres at Rs. 60.32 per litre on 27/8. Total bill amount is Rs. 2430.90 which is what they swiped (SMS screengrab below).

The Credit Card Thread-screenshot_20160906113700.png

This second screengrab is what actually went into my statement. As you can see, they waived both the surcharge and the service tax on the surcharge. Rs. 61 is surcharge @2.5% and Rs. 9.15 is service tax on surcharge @15%.

Name:  HDFC Waiver.png
Views: 640
Size:  9.2 KB
Old 6th September 2016, 12:33   #2196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
I used to be a fan but not anymore.

....and thrust a Regalia card on me.

What unsettled me is

a) how they silently included a clause of Rs.x as annual charges if the spend was less than Rs.Y
It happened to me also. My HDFC Signature card which was free for many years was upgraded to REgalia and the annual charges imposed. I wrote to HDFC and they gave the standard reply that they will waive off charges if Rs. X minimum was spent. I escalated the matter, and got this condition also waived off. I requested an official communication and they sent an email which stated that my regalia will be life time free card.

Quite pleasant and professional interaction, though if one doesn't follow thru, he/she would have got the annual charges, which is a bit "sneaky"

Quote:
Huh? HDFC Card owner for > 5 years here. They refund everything. Not refunding the service tax would be illegal.
+1 to this. I have also found that service tax is refunded in full. In some cases I get a few paisa more!
Old 6th September 2016, 13:05   #2197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I Dont use netbanking

HDFC does refund the service tax component. That's one of reason I still use HDFC Card, best for fuel, no fuel surcharge at any fuel station.

Got an email promotion by AMEX, they are offering 3% cashback on all fuel transactions. AMEX already had a tie up with HPCL, hence you get 3% cashback with zero surcharge on fuel at HPCL. At all other fuel stations, you will get 3% cashback but 2.5% surcharge will be applicable.
This offer is valid until 28th Feb, 2017.
Old 6th September 2016, 13:32   #2198
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please point me to the link on their website.
It is clearly mentioned on the schedule of charges. Almost all bank web sites are stating this clearly.
HDFC never refunded me ST component. Hence i always prefer to use stanchart for fuel
Attached Thumbnails
The Credit Card Thread-hdfccc.jpg  

Last edited by rkg : 6th September 2016 at 13:35.
Old 6th September 2016, 13:39   #2199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is clearly mentioned on the schedule of charges. Almost all bank web sites are stating this clearly.
HDFC never refunded me ST component. Hence i always prefer to use stanchart for fuel
Well, they seem to be doing so for at least speedmiester and me. For me, they have never charged it (I've been using their card for 5+ years now).

This surcharge is not a government charge, by the way.
Old 6th September 2016, 13:52   #2200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Well, they seem to be doing so for at least speedmiester and me. For me, they have never charged it (I've been using their card for 5+ years now).

I always got the service tax and surcharge refunded from HDFC. I also have SBI Card, but SBI doesn't refund the service tax component.
Attached Images

Old 6th September 2016, 14:13   #2201
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I too was a hdfc CC customer for the past 5 years. used it for fuel only few times. using stanchart for this purpose since past 4 years, as there is a cash back option.
Old 6th September 2016, 16:05   #2202
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If this is correct, then they should also refund ST when the Surcharge is refunded.

So are they using this ST for their own use ??
Old 6th September 2016, 16:26   #2203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If this is correct, then they should also refund ST when the Surcharge is refunded.
As two of us demonstrated with snippets from card statements, that is indeed the case.
Old 6th September 2016, 17:00   #2204
BHPian

Quote:
As two of us demonstrated with snippets from card statements, that is indeed the case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
I always got the service tax and surcharge refunded from HDFC. I also have SBI Card, but SBI doesn't refund the service tax component.
Quote:
I am surprised to see people getting ST waived off on the petrol bills. This has never happened for me in 10 years of usage. I bill easily 5k on an average.

Maybe the next time I have a call from them I will check on this
Old 6th September 2016, 17:29   #2205
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Does some one want to give the Banking Ombudsman a heads-up ? I dont think individual ST amounts are accounted for. Total amount collected would be used against the ST due from the bank to the Govt. Hence these small amounts may be are being used by the banks against total ST due to the govt ?

Last edited by condor : 6th September 2016 at 17:31.

Most Viewed