Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2018, 15:32   #2791
BHPian

Re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash49 View Post
Have been offered the HDFC Infinia (Visa Infinite) or HDFC Diners Black by my bank.

I travel frequently and my primary attraction for getting these cards is that both offer unlimited lounge access across domestic & international airports. I already hold SBI Elite (Visa Signature) and an ICICI (Mastercard World) cards..so the lower acceptability of Diners at some outlets will not be an issue for me.

The the Diners Black is offered for lifetime free, however the Infinia would be free for the first year only and renewal fees of 10k will be applicable from next year onwards. My annual spends on this card would be approx 4L hence will not qualify for the renewal fee waiver on the Infinia.

Which should I pick and why?
Hey Vikash

I suggest you go for the Diners Black. (If JP Diners Black is available then heaven but it will not be lifetime free).
The reasoning is:
1) Best credit card for travel & online offers available at a bargain (free)
2) Their 10X points can help fuel free travels around the world.
3) Lounge access all over the world
4) As you already have other network cards, as you rightly pointed out the acceptability is not an issue.
Old 14th May 2018, 15:35   #2792
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, which CC would you recommend to accumulate air miles for international carriers?
Old 14th May 2018, 16:11   #2793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Guys, which CC would you recommend to accumulate air miles for international carriers?
By International if you mean Singapore, British Airways, then go for Diners ClubMiles card where 1 RP=1 Airmile (and INR 99 per conversion).
If you want Emirates then I guess StanC has a card for that by the name Emirates World.
Old 14th May 2018, 17:08   #2794
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospooler View Post
By International if you mean Singapore, British Airways, then go for Diners ClubMiles card where 1 RP=1 Airmile (and INR 99 per conversion).
If you want Emirates then I guess StanC has a card for that by the name Emirates World.
Yea, i meant emirates, qatar, singapore, BA.

Yes, i had a look @ the StanC card. Since it is bound to Emirates , i was not so keen. I was looking at a card that will allow me to collect the miles and then convert to any airline miles at the time of need.
Old 18th May 2018, 16:52   #2795
BHPian

I just got my ICICI-HP credit card powered by AMEX. The challenge now is to find HP pumps that have POS terminals compatible with AMEX.

It really would help if folks having AMEX could suggest compatible HP outlets in Bangalore North! I know I should have researched earlier but then, am hoping for most, if not all HP outlets to have compatible terminals!
Old 18th May 2018, 17:33   #2796
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
I just got my ICICI-HP credit card powered by AMEX. The challenge now is to find HP pumps that have POS terminals compatible with AMEX.

It really would help if folks having AMEX could suggest compatible HP outlets in Bangalore North! I know I should have researched earlier but then, am hoping for most, if not all HP outlets to have compatible terminals!

I would assume most HP outlets would accept AMEX. I have been using AMEX at HP outlets for 2+ years. I frequently fill at HP New BEL road (2 outlets) and Tumkur Road.
Old 25th May 2018, 15:09   #2797
BHPian

BHPians, I have a doubt regarding international transactions done using Indian credit cards. I know that the surcharge (generally 3.5%) is charged over and above the transaction cost.
I wanted to know how they charge the exchange rate for this transaction.
Also, does it make sense if the reward points earned are very good for international transactions?
Old 25th May 2018, 16:50   #2798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wanted to know how they charge the exchange rate for this transaction.
Bank exchange rates are published daily in their branches and websites.

HDFC Bank: https://www.hdfcbank.com/nri_banking...chng_Rates.asp

ICICI Bank: https://instantforex.icicibank.com/i...dRateView.aspx

Search for "<bank name> exchange rate" in Google.
Old 28th May 2018, 10:07   #2799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Yea, i meant emirates, qatar, singapore, BA.

Yes, i had a look @ the StanC card. Since it is bound to Emirates , i was not so keen. I was looking at a card that will allow me to collect the miles and then convert to any airline miles at the time of need.
Citibank's Premiermiles is a better card than others in that department. Allows transfers to a variety of airlines.
Also earns 10x miles on spends done directly with airlines (not OTA); and best of all, Citi PM miles never expire.
Old 28th May 2018, 10:55   #2800
BHPian

Hello BHPians,

I have an Amex platinum travel credit card that's about to finish its first year. The renewal fee is INR 5,000. I've already availed the Taj voucher and flight coupons on the spend of 400,000.

I'm able to use the card well and the benefits are great too but the renewal fee is a bit steep. I've heard Citibank cards offer similar reward rate although in terms of redeemable points. Which card should I apply for to replace Amex or should I continue with it?

My only objective is to obtain some lifestyle rewards out of it. Typical spend is on online shopping or groceries. We don't eat out or fly frequently.
Old 28th May 2018, 11:15   #2801
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
Hello BHPians,

I have an Amex platinum travel credit card that's about to finish its first year. The renewal fee is INR 5,000. I've already availed the Taj voucher and flight coupons on the spend of 400,000.

I'm able to use the card well and the benefits are great too but the renewal fee is a bit steep. I've heard Citibank cards offer similar reward rate although in terms of redeemable points. Which card should I apply for to replace Amex or should I continue with it?

My only objective is to obtain some lifestyle rewards out of it. Typical spend is on online shopping or groceries. We don't eat out or fly frequently.
Hi @Nonstop-driver!
I have the same card but I fly frequently so am happy with this card. The reward rate works out to be 6-7% for me which I find is great.
However, I see that you don't fly frequently which defeats the whole purpose of this card.
Go for HDFC Diners or Citibank Premiermiles or Rewards card as they may cater to your lifestyle rewards + online shopping requirement.
Old 28th May 2018, 11:22   #2802
BHPian

Quote:
Hello BHPians,

I have the same card for the last 5 years. It is quite a rewarding card in spite of the high annual fees. Net of all the stay vouchers and flight vouchers you receive, you'll still be around 15 to 20 thousand in the green. First two years I made the mistake of negotiating on the annual fees and got a 50% waiver. Now I just redeem the extra points on the membership rewards (apart from the regular Rs.6000 flight vouchers on reaching 1.9 lakh spend and another Rs.10000 flight tickets and Rs.10000 Taj vouhers on reaching 4 lakh spend) on nullifying the annual fees. Usually 1 point is equivalent to 25 paise if you are going to spend it on something. But the annual fees of 5000+GST will be waived off with just 10000 points which equates 1 membership reward point to 50 paise. Try this trick and let us know if it worked for you too.
Old 28th May 2018, 11:26   #2803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post

I do not stick to one HP pump all the time, and I find that almost all the HP pumps I visited have at least one ICICI POS machine that is wireless. In that machine alone, AMEX will be accepted. Whenever I drive into a HP, I ask if they have an ICICI POS machine and then only fill. I have found only one HP so far where they didn't have the ICICI POS machine (they had HDFC that did not accept AMEX). Even in that pump, I used my Amex card to top up my Paytm and paid through Paytm app QR code scan.
Old 28th May 2018, 13:31   #2804
BHPian

Quote:
Go for HDFC Diners or Citibank Premiermiles or Rewards card as they may cater to your lifestyle rewards + online shopping requirement.
Diner is worth plastic now with the accelerated rewards being discontinued. I check Premier miles and it looked interesting but I'm not sure if it is as good as AMEX. Amex also comes with mid-year offers like Titan/ travel vouchers on a spend of X amount around festive seasons. Still analyzing which one's better but Amex is definitely a strong contender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchan View Post
Usually 1 point is equivalent to 25 paise if you are going to spend it on something. But the annual fees of 5000+GST will be waived off with just 10000 points which equates 1 membership reward point to 50 paise. Try this trick and let us know if it worked for you too.
Wasn't aware of the redemption rate on renewal fee. 25p redemption is just cruel though. Will check the redemption rate with Amex support and update.
Old 28th May 2018, 17:50   #2805
BHPian

Quote:
For the typical spend you have mentioned, I would go for SBI Prime. It has 5x reward points at super markets. Slightly higher reward rate on online vendors like Big Basket. Some more spend based vouchers throughout the year, and if you spend more than 3 lakhs it becomes free. SBI also regularly has offers on Amazon and Flipkart. You also get vouchers, worth the fee on joining.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks