Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2019, 00:06   #3331
BHPian

Re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas08 View Post
Too bad I could get my hands on the DCB just recently (May-2019), but I made full use of it in the last six months. Gathered (Or should I say looted) Reward Points in 6 figures already.
Apologies if I am missing something very obvious but how are the reward rates so high? Are your spends mainly on travel?

Also, is there any way more beneficial way of applying for the DCB card rather than directly on HDFC website? Say via bankbazaar or so?
Old 5th December 2019, 00:47   #3332
BHPian

Well, the usual reward points for DCB are 5 points/Rs.150 spent.

If you book travel through HDFC's Smartbuy portal, they give you 10x the usual rewards, i.e. 50 points/Rs.150 spent. Not that hard to accrue six figure points if you have a decent travel expense.

I don't think one can apply for DCB via bankbazaar. I got a Diners Premium card at the start, held it for 2 years. Also had a great banking relationship with HDFC, and that got me upgraded to Black.
Old 5th December 2019, 10:19   #3333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Apologies if I am missing something very obvious but how are the reward rates so high? Are your spends mainly on travel?

Also, is there any way more beneficial way of applying for the DCB card rather than directly on HDFC website? Say via bankbazaar or so?
the 10X offers on DCB puts the reward rate at a staggering 33.3%. So 50 Rs. earned as Reward Points on spending 150 Rs. HDFC has been aggressive in the market with the 10X Offers

Currently DCB has 10X offers on the following:

Flights
Bus Bookings
Amazon / Flipkart Shopping
Gyftr Instant Vouchers (Pretty much everything available over here)
Forex Card Loading (HDFC Forex Cards)
Ola
Myntra
Godrej Nature's Basket
Bookmyshow
Zoomcar
First Cry
Swiggy
Uber (Premier Rides only)

I might have still missed a couple of them despite typing all these.

To answer your second question, it is very rare for Super Premium Cards to be available through platforms other than banks directly.
Old 5th December 2019, 10:32   #3334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
One question regarding this card, Vijay & Kavensri,
Can it be linked to an Amazon account that belongs to my mother or does the amazon account have to be in my name for the Amazon spends benefits of 5% cashback.
Have scheduled an appointment for kyc.
Thanks in advance.
I do not know whether you can link the card to some other account. Shoot an email to their CC, they are very prompt in their responses.
Old 7th December 2019, 13:50   #3335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvijay View Post
I would advise to go for it blindly. It is a good one for starters without any hidden annual fees / convenience charges unless you default your payments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
1. Except a few "Lifetime Free" cards, every card (including most debit cards) carry an annual fee So please read the fine print carefully.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
I have been using this CC since last 4+ months. There are no hidden/annual charges for this card. There is no upper limit for cash back as well. Even before buying this cared, I used to shop a lot from Amazon, so it was a straight forward decision for me to go for this card.

Thank you for the suggestions and pointers. I'll consider going ahead with the card.
Old 10th December 2019, 08:04   #3336
BHPian

Can an outstanding bill on a Standard Chartered Credit Card be paid by a SBI Credit Card? If yes then are there any charges?

The outstanding on Standard Chartered Credit Card is within the due date. I recently got a SBI Credit Card and have zero transactions. Most of my fuel costs, restaurants, groceries and other miscellaneous are paid by Standard Chartered. So my intention is to make one good payment via SBI CC and then pay it off rather than simply paying my Stan C CC. Please suggest.

Last edited by VWAllstar : 10th December 2019 at 08:10.
Old 10th December 2019, 08:56   #3337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Can an outstanding bill on a Standard Chartered Credit Card be paid by a SBI Credit Card? If yes then are there any charges?
They all have a feature called Balance Transfer. There are charges, but the scenario you describe might not incur any. Please read the fine print and go ahead with it.
Old 10th December 2019, 11:18   #3338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The outstanding on Standard Chartered Credit Card is within the due date. I recently got a SBI Credit Card and have zero transactions. Most of my fuel costs, restaurants, groceries and other miscellaneous are paid by Standard Chartered. So my intention is to make one good payment via SBI CC and then pay it off rather than simply paying my Stan C CC. Please suggest.
I do not think that you can pay one credit card bill with another credit card. The reason is that it can result in a circular loop where you are juggling between two cards and never really paying any one
. Pay card A with card B
. Pay card B with Card A
. and so on. At each step you get the benefit of a free credit period.
Old 10th December 2019, 11:26   #3339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can an outstanding bill on a Standard Chartered Credit Card be paid by a SBI Credit Card?
You can't make payment of outstanding bill amount on one credit card using another credit card. AFAIK, such facility isn't by any card issuer. The only option is what binand has stated, but it has a rider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
They all have a feature called Balance Transfer
This, typically, is used to transfer rolled over credit (i.e. you have defrayed your bill by making payment of minimum amount due and the rest is rolled over) from one card to another card.

Balance transfer will attract charges & interest.

I don't VWAllstar was looking at this option, if I understand his requirement correctly. What he wants to do undertake all spends through StanChart CC and the monthly bill amount of StanC will be paid using SBI CC.
Old 10th December 2019, 12:59   #3340
BHPian

Quote:
Most of my fuel costs, restaurants, groceries and other miscellaneous are paid by Standard Chartered. So my intention is to make one good payment via SBI CC and then pay it off rather than simply paying my Stan C CC. Please suggest.
For the sake of curiosity, I will ask how you ended up with the SBI CC. Most of your transactions seems to be using the other card. Was this SBI CC sold as a card with no annual charges, or was there any other motivation for getting that card?
Old 10th December 2019, 13:25   #3341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01toKA03 View Post
For the sake of curiosity, I will ask how you ended up with the SBI CC. Most of your transactions seems to be using the other card. Was this SBI CC sold as a card with no annual charges, or was there any other motivation for getting that card?
I have my PPF account with SBI and I see a lot of offers with SBI CC. However, I did not get a waiver but the limit given has been really good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
You can't make payment of outstanding bill amount on one credit card using another credit card. AFAIK, such facility isn't by any card issuer. The only option is what binand has stated, but it has a rider.

This, typically, is used to transfer rolled over credit (i.e. you have defrayed your bill by making payment of minimum amount due and the rest is rolled over) from one card to another card.

Balance transfer will attract charges & interest.

I don't VWAllstar was looking at this option, if I understand his requirement correctly. What he wants to do undertake all spends through StanChart CC and the monthly bill amount of StanC will be paid using SBI CC.

Yea, was not looking for the option. All I wanted is to make payment using SBI CC so that I see some transaction and also may be help waive my yearly fees.

Thank you everyone.
Old 10th December 2019, 19:57   #3342
BHPian

I am travelling to Dubai in last week of Dec and based on popular opinion, got an IndusInd Travel Forex Card today. Now, i also own an Amazon Pay ICICI CC and they have rolled out an Offer starting today of 5% Cashback on International spends. 1% in the form of Amazon Reward Points and 4% as Cashback in Account Statement. Taking into account, there is 3.5% + GST on International spends, will this 5% Cashback work out as a benefit? Was planning to load money in my Travel Card tomorrow. Am in a fix now which is a better option; Forex or ICICI CC? Any guidance would be appreciated.
Old 11th December 2019, 11:21   #3343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi3284 View Post
I am travelling to Dubai in last week of Dec and based on popular opinion, got an IndusInd Travel Forex Card today. Now, i also own an Amazon Pay ICICI CC and they have rolled out an Offer starting today of 5% Cashback on International spends. 1% in the form of Amazon Reward Points and 4% as Cashback in Account Statement. Taking into account, there is 3.5% + GST on International spends, will this 5% Cashback work out as a benefit? Was planning to load money in my Travel Card tomorrow. Am in a fix now which is a better option; Forex or ICICI CC? Any guidance would be appreciated.
Check the commission charged for Forex transactions. It varies from 1.5% to 4% bank to bank. If the rates for ICICI are less than the cashback (4%) then use ICICI card.
Old 18th December 2019, 13:42   #3344
BHPian

I've got a HDFC Regalia card and I believe there are 6 complementary lounge access. I'm traveling out of Bangalore airport tomorrow on a domestic flight and I'm curious to know if anyone here has used any of these lounge accesses in Bangalore airport. How does it work - specifically I've seen that they charge USD 27 plus GST. Will there be any additional charges? Will the charge get reversed on the next statement?
Old 18th December 2019, 13:49   #3345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandey.jai View Post
I've got a HDFC Regalia card and I believe there are 6 complementary lounge access. I'm traveling out of Bangalore airport tomorrow on a domestic flight and I'm curious to know if anyone here has used any of these lounge accesses in Bangalore airport. How does it work - specifically I've seen that they charge USD 27 plus GST. Will there be any additional charges? Will the charge get reversed on the next statement?
If we have complementary access there would be only a nominal charge of Rs.2(Two only) to authenticate the card on the POS machine in the lounge. You just have to produce the card that's it.

Most Viewed