Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2021, 21:53   #4786
BHPian

Re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
because I applied from Amazon app and not from icici netbanking?
I did apply through Amazon app.
Old 8th September 2021, 23:36   #4787
BHPian

I have a Coral ICICI card which i never used and it shares its limit of 1.4 with the new Amazon card.
Old 9th September 2021, 01:23   #4788
BHPian

Guys, let skip the limit part. It is in interest of ICICI ( or any Bank) to issue you the highest limit. But they do this simply based on a mathematical algorithm that takes into account your current rating (CIBIL), income and your relationship with them.

I, for example, received the Amazon ICICI card with limit equal to same as what I already had with them for my regular CC. Effectively, they doubled my limit with them.

Let us skip the limit discussion as it won't lead to any conclusion I believe.

As far as application is concerned, I belive earlier it was only via Amazon site (as I did) but now they have it via multiple channels - Amazon site, Amazon App, ICICI site and App, etc.
sunilch is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 09:06   #4789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
Looks like the sales rep will be benefitting a lot more than you will. Go on and ask for all of this in writing. Would be nice to call their bluff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
Only the first point is of your interest but it is a baltent lie. He is only trying to finish his target of getting folks on EMI. The other two are of no use to you even if true. So skip this offer altogether.
Thanks for your responses. I think I made a good decision asking him to give me some time to think. I almost had thought of giving a nod ahead for the offer as I easily get influenced but felt a tinge of suspicion over what he offered.

As the saying goes, sleep on it before making a decision!
logicalidiot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 23:38   #4790
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This card should be there by default in everybody's wallet as its free and you can always control the limit. Yes, if you don't use Amazon at all, it doesnt make sense. But if you do use amazon and uber its a no brainer really.
Thanks again!
I applied on the Amazon dot in site and it was so seamless, got the card details quickly and also linked to the internet banking id after an hour!
Limit is pretty high for my usage at 3.5L but I could reduce it from the app/internet banking portal.

Last edited by NPV : 9th September 2021 at 23:40.
Old 10th September 2021, 01:47   #4791
BHPian

I’m really interested in getting a HDFC Regalia card but I don’t have any existing relationship with them. I see in few articles that they are offering LTF on some initial spend but I haven’t figured out how to access this offer. Is there a link or landing page where I can see this offer?
Old 10th September 2021, 03:04   #4792
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
I’m really interested in getting a HDFC Regalia card but I don’t have any existing relationship with them. I see in few articles that they are offering LTF on some initial spend but I haven’t figured out how to access this offer. Is there a link or landing page where I can see this offer?
Easiest way to get LTF card with hdfc is to have an account with them. You can get a card against a FD roughly equal to the starting limit.
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 08:39   #4793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Thanks again!
I applied on the Amazon dot in site and it was so seamless, got the card details quickly and also linked to the internet banking id after an hour!
Limit is pretty high for my usage at 3.5L but I could reduce it from the app/internet banking portal.
That’s a great limit. What was your usual spend pattern before applying for the card?Maybe that contributes to the decision on limit?

I used to use my brother’s prime account all this while for shopping before applying for the card, so my personal account spending was almost nil. I believe that’s the reason I got default 40k limit.

Last edited by SoumenD : 10th September 2021 at 09:07.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 10:15   #4794
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That’s a great limit. What was your usual spend pattern before applying for the card?Maybe that contributes to the decision on limit?
My spends on Amazon India are quite small.

I also feel it is needless and unsafe to have a card with huge limits. Good thing now is the control we have to allow/disallow and set various spend limits by transaction type.

On how the card issuers determine Card Limit, you may not have seen this earlier post by @sunilch where he mentioned about the algorithm the banks use to set the card limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
It is in interest of ICICI ( or any Bank) to issue you the highest limit. But they do this simply based on a mathematical algorithm that takes into account your current rating (CIBIL), income and your relationship with them.

Last edited by NPV : 10th September 2021 at 10:16.
Old 10th September 2021, 11:41   #4795
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

On how the card issuers determine Card Limit, you may not have seen this earlier post by @sunilch where he mentioned about the algorithm the banks use to set the card limits.
I doubt that they consider cibil score. Mine is 850+ . Infact thanks to the cibil score I had got lower ROI on sbi car loan back in 2019. Anyways no point fretting over it. As someone had suggested earlier, for higher value purchases I can prepay to the card balance and use it to avail the 5% unlimited cashback as and when required
Old 10th September 2021, 11:54   #4796
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I doubt that they consider cibil score. Mine is 850+ . Infact thanks to the cibil score I had got lower ROI on sbi car loan back in 2019. Anyways no point fretting over it. As someone had suggested earlier, for higher value purchases I can prepay to the card balance and use it to avail the 5% unlimited cashback as and when required
In the application, they also asked the employer details. Maybe it has some bearing along with CIBIL.
Old 10th September 2021, 14:50   #4797
BHPian

Quote:
unsafe to have a card with huge limits. .
How/Why exactly is it unsafe?
Old 10th September 2021, 16:57   #4798
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysakh View Post
How/Why exactly is it unsafe?
In case of card fraud/misuse, smaller limit helps, that's probably just me thinking that way

For my usage patterns, I do not need a large limit, so I'm happy.
Old 10th September 2021, 19:18   #4799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In case of card fraud/misuse, smaller limit helps
Both my cards have web/app interface to control the limit myself. I can set 4 limits - POS, ATM, online and NFC, in two regions - India and abroad, on a per transaction or daily basis.

So I don't ever use credit cards in ATMs - that is completely disabled.
Abroad is completely disabled except Online, in one particular card.
NFC is completely disabled except in one card.

Per-transaction limits are just high enough for me to get by most of the time. Daily limits are typically 5-10x per-transaction limits.

And the bank's app is there if I want to disable or increase a limit temporarily.

These configurable limits of course have the upper bound as your credit limit, cash withdrawal limit or RBI limit (in case of NFC).
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 19:25   #4800
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
And the bank's app is there if I want to disable or increase a limit temporarily.

These configurable limits of course have the upper bound as your credit limit, cash withdrawal limit or RBI limit (in case of NFC).
Now I think RBI mandates that card issuer provides these configurable options to cardholders.

Yes, I do the same - disable ATM and NFC transactions and even set limits on all transactions types and disable international transactions (can enable if/when needed). Convenience is usually inversely proportional to security

Just that I feel I don't need a higher limit for my usage.

Last edited by NPV : 10th September 2021 at 19:28.

Most Viewed