Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2013, 17:03   #1156
Oxy
BHPian

Re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
HDFC bank strikes again:

Now, I have lost the card, lost my points plus I owe the bank some money as the idiot banker suggested me to swipe the card
How do you owe the bank any money when the card was declined when it was swiped? Or am I missing something here?

Just about five minutes back I have applied for an HDFC Bank Diner's Club International Premium card. Guess I will straightaway cancel it when they call me up for verification. Wish I had read this before I signed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
The benefits that i am getting are:
1)Surcharge waiver plus 2.5% cash back for fuel fills.
2)5% Cash back for utility bills, telephone bills.

Thanks in advance.
1. I think HDFC is the only bank whose credit cards gives you fuel surcharge waiver on ALL petrol bunks. Citibank gives the waiver only on IOC bunks (when the card is swiped in a Citibank IDC). Similarly, ICICI gives you the waiver only on HP bunks (when the card is swiped in an ICICI IDC).

2. The Citibank Cash Back card gives you 5% cashback on movies, telephone and utility bills.

Last edited by Oxy : 5th July 2013 at 17:10.
Old 5th July 2013, 17:30   #1157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
1. I think HDFC is the only bank whose credit cards gives you fuel surcharge waiver on ALL petrol bunks.
The Axis Bank Corporate Card is another which does this. I used to have one.

http://www.axisbank.com/personal/car...-benefits.aspx

"You get a fuel surcharge waiver across all petrol stations in India. The waiver is valid for a minimum transaction amount of Rs 400 and a maximum of Rs 4,000"
Old 5th July 2013, 23:35   #1158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How do you owe the bank any money when the card was declined when it was swiped? Or am I missing something here?
I got the message that my card would be cancelled on sunday; so based on the customer representative's advise, I used the card on saturday to make some online bill payments and hoped that the card would remain active. When i really needed the card on Monday, it was declined as HDFC cancelled the card on Sunday. I am sure, that for the transaction that I made on Sunday; they would send me a bill. Besides that, I would have to give a rupee or two extra so that even a single paisa is not shown outstanding in my record.
Old 6th July 2013, 13:38   #1159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. I think HDFC is the only bank whose credit cards gives you fuel surcharge waiver on ALL petrol bunks.
Now the swipe value should be between Rs 400.00 and Rs 4000.00 to qualify for this waiver. anything below, or above, is chargeable.
Old 17th July 2013, 18:11   #1160
BHPian

Many Team Bhpians have asked about petrol surcharge waiver. IndusInd Platinum Aura, Axis Platinum, HDFC Platinum, SBI Silver waive off surcharge across ALL petrol pumps (including Shell). I can safely say this because I use these cards.

IndusInd Platinum Aura has a very nice customized options, wherein you get 2% flat cashback based on the plan you select. there are 4 - restaurant/pubs, grocery, departmental and travel. The points can be redeemed for cash, hence as good as cash back. I liked it very much. Also, Andhra Bank Platinum has FLAT 0.5% cash back for ALL purchases. No hidden conditions. Hope this helps.
Old 17th July 2013, 18:55   #1161
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkapoor777 View Post
Folks I received this emailer a couple of days ago from HDFC Bank. It seems too good to be true as they talk about a repayment holiday of 3 months for all retail spends. No interest or processing fee either. Have a look!
This mailer is a good one. Given my incredibly high spending patterns on the HDFC card, I do hope I get one too!
Old 17th July 2013, 21:13   #1162
BHPian

Quote:

1. I think HDFC is the only bank whose credit cards gives you fuel surcharge waiver on ALL petrol bunks. Citibank gives the waiver only on IOC bunks (when the card is swiped in a Citibank IDC). Similarly, ICICI gives you the waiver only on HP bunks (when the card is swiped in an ICICI IDC).

2. The Citibank Cash Back card gives you 5% cashback on movies, telephone and utility bills.
1. There are many other cards that have fuel surcharge waiver on ALL fuel stations. One of them is - Standard Chartered Super Value Titanium card.
Old 17th July 2013, 21:24   #1163
Distinguished - BHPian

Has anyone noticed a change in the approach by SBI Card ? Or is it that I am seeing a less friendly SBI only because of concerned incidents now, (the first time in the few years that I have had the card ) ?

Btw, I am now planning to move away from SBI card.
Old 18th July 2013, 10:34   #1164
BHPian

got a call from ICICI yesterday informing that my card is going to be replaced with new card ,since they doubt my card might be skimmed and prone for misuse based on their internal investigation .They refused to divulge any info however i have requested to replace with chipcard for better security .
Old 18th July 2013, 11:37   #1165
BHPian

Quote:
I have an HSBC card and I get fuel surcharge waiver at all pumps irrespective of the IDC machine used.

The standard chartered super value card, as far as I know, has 5% cash back on fuel spends but no surcharge waiver. The surcharge is 2.5% so this way you actually get a discount of 2.5% on fuel. There are some terms and conditions though which I don't remember right now.

Last edited by sharninder : 18th July 2013 at 11:40. Reason: added more info
Old 18th July 2013, 23:13   #1166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post

1. There are many other cards that have fuel surcharge waiver on ALL fuel stations. One of them is - Standard Chartered Super Value Titanium card.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post

I have an HSBC card and I get fuel surcharge waiver at all pumps irrespective of the IDC machine used.

The standard chartered super value card, as far as I know, has 5% cash back on fuel spends but no surcharge waiver. The surcharge is 2.5% so this way you actually get a discount of 2.5% on fuel. There are some terms and conditions though which I don't remember right now.
My Stanchart Titanium Super Value card reverses all fuel surcharges and gives me a 5% cashback on utility bills + points for other purchases. This is indeed my favourite card.

There is no effective discount on fuel for sure.
Old 19th July 2013, 22:32   #1167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LithiumSunset View Post

There is no effective discount on fuel for sure.
@LithiumSunset - I beg to differ. Stanchart Super Value card indeed has effective 2.5% Fuel Cashback as mentioned by @sharninder. Please take a look at their URL (look for 'Details' section) http://www.standardchartered.co.in/c...-titanium.html
Old 22nd July 2013, 00:54   #1168
Oxy
BHPian

Can anyone here share his experience with Diners Club cards? How good or bad are they?
Old 22nd July 2013, 06:40   #1169
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Can anyone here share his experience with Diners Club cards? How good or bad are they?
Very poor acceptance levels in India on account of the higher commissions charged to the merchants by the card company.
Much better you go with Amex or a top end Visa or Master.
Old 22nd July 2013, 07:17   #1170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Much better you go with Amex or a top end Visa or Master.
Doesn't Amex have bad acceptance levels as well? There are very few places that accept my Amex. :/

Most Viewed