Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2012, 20:59   #826
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg

I too had opted for auto debit for my P loan with them. only that their great SW did not do it and i was penalized with compound interest. i had go to branch and fight with them. it happened for three months at a stretch. disgusted, i had closed the a/c by prepaying the loan. Surprisingly their SW started working efficiently by deducting EMI on due date( loan was already closed). Again i had to run around and shout several times to get it corrected.

If a person is lazy/busy and dot check the a/c regularly stay away from icici & Citi
I could set up the auto debit for my credit card through internet banking. I did not have to ask any SW( what or who is SW?) to do it.
I get an SMS the day my credit card bill is generated, a second SMS the day before the auto debit is due and a third SMS after the debit happens. So I am in the loop always.
Once I forgot to set up the autodebit when my card got upgraded and I was a day late in paying the bill. But on contacting the customer care, they looked up my past record and reversed all the penalty charges. Stellar service.

Edit : finally figured SW is software !

Last edited by Deep Blue : 30th November 2012 at 21:29.
Old 13th December 2012, 15:43   #827
Oxy
BHPian

Re: The Credit Card Thread

So I get a call from this lady who claims to be from Citibank. She knows that I have a salary account with them and also a Citibank credit card. She also knows where I work.

Now she offers me something called the "Citibank Platinum Signature Card". As per her, this is lifetime free for people having salary accounts with the bank. She only needs my PAN card copy, present address proof and a photo to process the application.

The benefits of this card are too good to be true like 5% cash back on all departmental and retail stores, 5% cash back on fuel purchase plus surcharge waiver on all petrol pumps (only condition being amount should be > 350), 5% cashback on railway and air tickets, two free movie tickets from bookmyshow every month, 10 reward points for every Rs.125 spent (1 Point = 1 Rupee), and this can be redeemed against outstanding balance, and if you swipe the card for Rs.1000 or more within a month, you get a free Yatra gift voucher worth Rs.3000.

After the call, I was left with a feeling that this is just way too good, why would any bank offer so much? I then called up the Citibank customer care, only to know that such a card does not even exist. I then tried reaching her but her line is constantly busy.

This has left a very bitter taste in my mouth. Beware of such executives who don't hesitate to lie through their teeth just to sell their card. Always ask the executive to email you the features of the card if you wish to apply for one.

Why do they have to lie? Why can't they narrate the card features as is and see if the customer is interested? I really was angry on her after the episode. I don't want to report her to the bank or something, but what are my options when she calls again tomorrow to collect the documents?

Last edited by Oxy : 13th December 2012 at 15:54.
Old 13th December 2012, 15:59   #828
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Now she offers me something called the "Citibank Platinum Signature Card". As per her, this is lifetime free for people having salary accounts with the bank.
Sounds like the Citibank Rewards Card - I have one of those. The confusing points are (a) Citi has an exclusive deal with IOCL so does not offer surcharge waiver at all pumps, and (b) they do not do cashbacks - instead they allow you to pay your card outstanding balance with reward points (which is a form of cashback, though).
Old 14th December 2012, 23:03   #829
BHPian

I had a Citi card expecting this month. Last month I got an offer to upgrade, to which I consented. Last week I got the upgraded card. I also received another intimation from Citi bank through SMS that a card matching last 4 digits of my old card is being dispatched. I also received failed to deliver message from Bluedart. I called and asked Citibank to block this replacement card. Today I received a message from Citibank that the card has been returned to them.

Apparently a parallel exercise of replacing and upgrading took place and I was sent two cards instead of one. I was assured today, during telecon with customer care, that the old card / replacement card (both have same number) has been blocked. For my peace of mind I tried an online bill payment using the old card. Surprising it smoothly got till the Verified by VISA page. I did not attempt to complete the payment because the bill due date in still two weeks away. It's as if the card is still active. I immediately called the bank and they gave same assurance.

There is no other online payment that I want / need to make right now. I can't try in retail shop because I have disfigured the magnetic strip.

Is my old card and its replacement still active? Doesn't rejection for invalid / blocked card take place immediately after first page of online payment form?
Old 14th December 2012, 23:29   #830
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
I had a Citi card expecting this month. Last month I got an offer to upgrade, to which I consented. Last week I got the upgraded card. I also received another intimation from Citi bank through SMS that a card matching last 4 digits of my old card is being dispatched. I also received failed to deliver message from Bluedart. I called and asked Citibank to block this replacement card. Today I received a message from Citibank that the card has been returned to them.

Apparently a parallel exercise of replacing and upgrading took place and I was sent two cards instead of one. I was assured today, during telecon with customer care, that the old card / replacement card (both have same number) has been blocked. For my peace of mind I. .....

Is my old card and its replacement still active? Doesn't rejection for invalid / blocked card take place immediately after first page of online payment form?
No. It doesn't. Why don't you try a nominal payment of Rs. 10 or so on any mobile recharge or dish tv site?? That way you canbe doubly sure that your card is not active.
Old 15th December 2012, 10:02   #831
BHPian

Just a query for the experts.
How is the Amex Gold credit card compared to the rest of the lot ?
Old 15th December 2012, 12:14   #832
BHPian

Quote:

Apparently a parallel exercise of replacing and upgrading took place and I was sent two cards instead of one. I was assured today, during telecon with customer care, that the old card / replacement card (both have same number) has been blocked. For my peace of mind I tried an online bill payment using the old card. Surprising it smoothly got till the Verified by VISA page. I did not attempt to complete the payment because the bill due date in still two weeks away. It's as if the card is still active. I immediately called the bank and they gave same assurance.

There is no other online payment that I want / need to make right now. I can't try in retail shop because I have disfigured the magnetic strip.

Generally the old card is deactivated as soon as you make the first transaction on the new card at a merchant(swipe).
Old 15th December 2012, 12:50   #833
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by princey View Post
Just a query for the experts.
How is the Amex Gold credit card compared to the rest of the lot ?
Is it the Gold "Charge" Card or the Credit Card you are talking about? I have a charge card from Amex, their Customer service is excellent. The Reward points you get is very good as well. However, there are a few things you need to know
1. They don't seem to be accepted everywhere. Some local stores might not accept Amex cards.
2. They have an Annual Charge, it supposedly get waived if you spend >1L the previous year. I am not sure about this though.
3. If you are the type who carries forward your Balances to the next billing cycle by paying only the "Minimum" amount due, don't go for the "Charge" card. You need to pay the Dues in full if you opt for a charge card.
4. They have a tie up with HP petrol pumps where they waive the "Surcharge". However, a few HP Bunks i have been to did not even accept Amex cards!!

These are from my experience! Hope it helps.
Old 15th December 2012, 14:26   #834
BHPian

I have just applied for HDFC card. I don't travel much, so travel cards will not bring me any value. New card should ideally have zero annual fee, chip based card.

I currently hold platinum cards from other banks. So I would like similar level of card. Which HDFC card should I choose?
Old 15th December 2012, 21:31   #835
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have just applied for HDFC card. I don't travel much, so travel cards will not bring me any value. New card should ideally have zero annual fee, chip based card.

I currently hold platinum cards from other banks. So I would like similar level of card. Which HDFC card should I choose?
HDFC Bank does not waive fees unconditionally as a policy. For the Visa Signature Card that I have, the waiver conditions are (a) joining fees waived if I spend 15K in three months of joining, and (b) annual fees waived if I spend 50K in the previous year. It is the only fuel card I use due to surcharge waiver at ALL fuel retailers.

While the "extra security" of the chip-based cards have been debunked several times especially in the UK where they are mandatory, this one is indeed a chip-based one.
Old 16th December 2012, 01:16   #836
BANNED

Are Discover cards available in India? Which card is good for International travel?

--R
Old 16th December 2012, 08:41   #837
BHPian

Thanks bond bhai,
Its the Amex Gold credit card I was refering to.
Was not aware of its limited acceptance.
What clarification required was - is it any better than the ones already out there ?
Old 16th December 2012, 09:53   #838
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Are Discover cards available in India? Which card is good for International travel?

--R
As far as I know, Discover cards are not issued in India, or for that matter outside of USA.

If you have a Discover card, I believe they are usable in Pulse ATMs and PoS devices (which probably are confined to the large metros). I also read about a tie-up between Discover and NPCI, so these cards should be usable on RuPay ATMs/PoS as well.

As far as international travel goes - VISA and MasterCard have pretty much universal acceptance, and the issuing bank does not matter (except to determine costs associated). Almost every major bank nowadays issues pre-paid travel cards which are good.

If the concept of credit limit bothers you, go with an American Express charge card.
Old 16th December 2012, 11:31   #839
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
Generally the old card is deactivated as soon as you make the first transaction on the new card at a merchant(swipe).
Not necessarily. With StanC you have to ask for deactivation. I willnot know the current practice having move on to Infinite & Titanium about three years ago.
Old 16th December 2012, 16:52   #840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
While the "extra security" of the chip-based cards have been debunked several times especially in the UK where they are mandatory, this one is indeed a chip-based one.
Your response prompted me to check up more on this matter. Oh well, it boils down to which technology is safer, in a field where none is rock solid safe. ICICI bank states as much whereas HDFC says chip based cards are "virtually impossible to copy".

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks