Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2013, 15:26   #1336
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Credit Card Thread

Looking for a new credit card, any suggestions as to which one is better in terms of features?

Annual Card Spend is approx 5 lacs+, with dining out, shopping, fuel, etc being the major culprits. Currently using the Citibank Platinium card, but considering other options, since the airport lounge offer is withdrawn. So would prefer a card with that feature. Golf cards would also be interesting.

A lil circumspect about cards with joining fees/annual fees, but open to them incase of compelling offers.

Had a few negative experiences with Amex, Stanchart and SBI in the past, so would like to avoid those unless absolutely tempting offers.
Old 14th November 2013, 15:49   #1337
Senior - BHPian

I just received my statement and I see 2 extra components which I have never seen before.

Service Tax and Cess tax. Any idea why am charged these components, as I never have seen this till date.
Old 14th November 2013, 15:51   #1338
Senior - BHPian

^^Those two are levied only if there is some interest component debited. Have you revolved the balance, or taken any loan on your card?
Old 14th November 2013, 15:56   #1339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^Those two are levied only if there is some interest component debited. Have you revolved the balance, or taken any loan on your card?
No, Gansan. I have couple of 0% EMI's only.

I made a cash payment for part of the amount for last month's due, for which a processing fee of INR 100 was charged, would the taxes be on this amount?
Old 14th November 2013, 15:59   #1340
Team-BHP Support

Had a fraudulent transaction on my ICICI Platinum CC last week. Someone setup a Paypal account with it and went shopping. Reported immediately and got it blocked. The bank said they'll provide interim credit chargeback for the disputed amount while they investigate (takes upto 60 days).

I'm being charged a nominal fee for the replacement chip-based card (199 INR + ST if I remember right). Is that right? Shouldn't they be replacing for free?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 14th November 2013 at 16:00.
Old 14th November 2013, 17:12   #1341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post

I made a cash payment for part of the amount for last month's due, for which a processing fee of INR 100 was charged, would the taxes be on this amount?
IS the Service Tax Rs 12? Then it may be for the processing fee. I believe service tax is 12% and cess 3%
Old 14th November 2013, 17:17   #1342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Looking for a new credit card, any suggestions as to which one is better in terms of features?

Annual Card Spend is approx 5 lacs+, with dining out, shopping, fuel, etc being the major culprits. Currently using the Citibank Platinium card, but considering other options, since the airport lounge offer is withdrawn. So would prefer a card with that feature. Golf cards would also be interesting.

A lil circumspect about cards with joining fees/annual fees, but open to them incase of compelling offers.

Had a few negative experiences with Amex, Stanchart and SBI in the past, so would like to avoid those unless absolutely tempting offers.
Jetprevilege has a tie up with HDFC , ICICI and Amex . I use the HDFC Jet Previlege World card only for those jetmiles . HDFC as such is useless . There have been so many instances where they have charged me unnecessarily. Their customer care will copy paste the same long email no matter how many times you write to them . But every time , a threat of cancelling the card makes them realise their mistake and they reverse the charges in the next billing cycle .

I am planning to go for the Amex jetprevilege card. Assuming , I would get better service due to the 10K INR annual fee
Old 14th November 2013, 17:21   #1343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Yes, that is the only possibility then.
Old 14th November 2013, 17:34   #1344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, and also on forex transaction markup fees, ATM cash withdrawal fees, annual fees, processing fee of EMIs and any other thing that they consider to be a charge for a service.
Old 14th November 2013, 17:53   #1345
Team-BHP Support

I use a credit cards quite extensively. Over years I have amassed points which can buy me that juicer mixer I don't need, or those silly overpriced clothes I do not wear.
Now I am seeing, some cards offer rewards in terms of miles.
Must most cards I use are simply locked in to an airline, or a small group of airlines.

Is there a credit card which can earn miles for many different airlines, or a diverse group which will help me to travel in a cheaper way to EU, Thailand etc., and maybe USA?

How does it work.
Do I need to have frequent flyer accounts and manually transfer miles. Or is the process automated to some extent.
Is there a card which works across multiple airlines(different carrier groups?)
Old 14th November 2013, 18:13   #1346
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
How does it work.
Do I need to have frequent flyer accounts and manually transfer miles. Or is the process automated to some extent.
Is there a card which works across multiple airlines(different carrier groups?)
Hi Tanveer, Check out Citi Bank Premier Miles, one of the best cards in India for earning, burning miles and getting upgrades. You can transfer the miles to various different airlines or burn them at 50ps per mile and buy ticket for Domestic airlines. It also provides lounge access and one of the best places to chill during peak hours in any airport is in a lounge.

I extensively use One Alliance, just because it has the most number of 5 star airlines rated by SkyTrax and connectivity is good for most of the destination i wish to travel, i transferred miles to Qatar and purchased an an upgrade to Business.

Yes, you need to sign up with loyalty programs on different airlines, i recommend you stick to one airline and go up in the ladder and from time to time, other airlines to attract customers, announce status match loyalty program, when it happens, you just signup on others.

One good blog to follow in India is AJ's 'Live From a Lounge' on India and International offers. I have become a bit of a mile geek after i discovered, as George Clooney says in 'Up in the Air' , i dont spend a single Rs on my card, which doesnt earn me a mile.

Hope this helps, PM me if you need any other info.
Old 14th November 2013, 18:17   #1347
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushubh View Post
Hope this helps, PM me if you need any other info.
Thanks buddy
I think I will contact citibank. However, can you answer my questions
1. I always pay my card bill on time and I do it online. If I don't have a citibank account, will there be any problems. I am sure I can use VISA transfer which some banks offer
2. I use my credit card abroad. Most banks have the 3.5% fees. What is the fees here?
3. Some banks block your transaction when made abroad. For example. HDFC declines transactions made on agoda.com sometimes. Its quite silly to be stuck in a foreign country without a functioning card
4. Does it come with chip and pin. I require chip and pin
5. Do they trouble you with hidden fees. I remember citibank was notorious for adding things like insurance and stuff(which were opt out and not opt in)
Old 14th November 2013, 18:28   #1348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Thanks buddy
I think I will contact citibank. However, can you answer my questions
1. I always pay my card bill on time and I do it online. If I don't have a citibank account, will there be any problems. I am sure I can use VISA transfer which some banks offer
2. I use my credit card abroad. Most banks have the 3.5% fees. What is the fees here?
3. Some banks block your transaction when made abroad. For example. HDFC declines transactions made on agoda.com sometimes. Its quite silly to be stuck in a foreign country without a functioning card
4. Does it come with chip and pin. I require chip and pin
5. Do they trouble you with hidden fees. I remember citibank was notorious for adding things like insurance and stuff(which were opt out and not opt in)
1: No, i do not have Citi bank account, i pay using Net Banking from my Axis account, its like paying a mobile pill, this page will give you an idea.
https://www.online.citibank.co.in/pr...rCode=CLSDML01

You can also pay via NEFT transfer.

2: I think similar costs.

3: Nope, never had an issue with Citi, they are fantastic, they have one of the best customer service i have come across, not at the level of Amex but very close, their dedicated Premier Miles Customer service is awesome. Yes, they have a seperate dedicated customer line for Premier Miles card holders, check out their dedicated web page here: http://premiermiles.co.in

4: Yes, it does.

5: Nope, the premier miles card comes with an annual fees, they didnt charge me as i had lot of international transactions and like you, always pay on time and in full. Also, my monthly statement is north of 50k. As i mentioned earlier, i put everything on this card, its a shame, my barber doesnt take cards, else, i will put my hair cut on it too. They did try to me offer me add on insurance, free loan usually when i'm about to finish my call with customer executive, but i always politely refuse with a firm NO and disconnect the call.

Last edited by Sushubh : 14th November 2013 at 18:35.
Old 27th November 2013, 11:17   #1349
BHPian

I am being offered HDFC Regalia card as I am opening a new savings account with them. First year annual fees is waived off and will be waived off for following years too if my spend is more than 4L in a year. This will be the case.

Currently, I have a Kotak League card which is fine but their customer care is bad, hence thinking of switching.

I heard good and bad things about HDFC cards so really confused if I should go ahead with it or look for Amex/Citi bank cards?

Any suggestions?
Old 27th November 2013, 11:32   #1350
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
I heard good and bad things about HDFC cards so really confused if I should go ahead with it or look for Amex/Citi bank cards?
HDFC is good. Their customer service is among the best I have experienced especially for the higher-end cards where you have a 2-ring response to your call. They are generally accomodating of requests for good customers. I had requested an extension of my credit limit once during an emergency and they did it promptly.

On the other hand, they once levied me a heavy financial charge (over 8000) for delaying my repayment by 2 days (I actually paid on the due date- it took 2 days to hit their account). I protested and they assured me they would reverse half that amount. 6 months have passed, 4 reminders issued, 3 assurances that it will be done and I am still waiting. Since it was my fault technically and any credit they issue will be a goodwill gesture I have not raised a stink about it but am losing patience. My issue is that if it's not possible, false promises should not be made.

But compared to my earlier interactions with ICICI, Kotak, ABN Amro (shudder!!!) HDFC is a walk in the park. AMEX used to be good overseas but am not sure about their card acceptance in India plus they don't waive annual fees. Citi is also not too bad, except they once screwed me over on some Jet Airways free ticket offer and I haven't yet forgiven them for it!

Most Viewed