Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2014, 17:48   #1591
Oxy
BHPian

Re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Got a mail from Citibank that their tie up with Diners club is getting over so after 15th June balance of Diners club card will be shifted to other Citibank CC.

Till now Diners club card was free of cost for me and It was great to get free lounge access at Airports.

Does ICICI or anyone else offer Diners club card or alternatively how is the free lounge access story with Mastercard Platinum or Visa Platinum ?
HDFC offers Diners Club cards. Check them out here:

http://www.hdfcbankdinersclub.com/products

By the way, don't you face acceptance issues with Diners Club?
Old 29th May 2014, 17:48   #1592
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post
Some pumps even has a notice stuck saying citibank cards are not accepted due to 'server issue'
Haven't faced any such problems with my regular fuel station on st marks road
Old 29th May 2014, 18:07   #1593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohitkumaar View Post
PoS based card frauds can take place anywhere, any day so only solution for that is constant vigilance. If a person is shoulder surfing, obviously card numbers will be hardest to remember. 16 digits pattern are not easy to remember if you are shoulder surfing, sheer tension is very high.
You don't have to remember the full 16 digits. Just note the issuing bank, card brand and bank-specific product - that gives you the first 6 digits. The last is a check digit which you can calculate in your head. So all you need to do is to pick up the middle 9 digits. That can be done that quite easily (I practice with mobile numbers :-)
Old 29th May 2014, 18:10   #1594
BHPian

Ok binand, lets stop this before someone comes up and blames us for practically making shoulder surfing easier :P
Old 29th May 2014, 18:51   #1595
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
HDFC offers Diners Club cards. Check them out here:

http://www.hdfcbankdinersclub.com/products

By the way, don't you face acceptance issues with Diners Club?
Well for actual payments I was using Visa / Master but I had Diners Club free from Citibank and it was exclusively being used for FOC access to Airport lounges during transit at Delhi T3 ITC lounge is 1200 Rs normally and in Hongkong used to get free lounge acess for 4 hours which was sufficient for transit the stated acess fee for this lounge was 68$.

Last edited by amitk26 : 29th May 2014 at 18:53.
Old 2nd June 2014, 23:30   #1596
BANNED

HDFC USERS - when LIMIT ENHANCEMENT option in net banking let us provides to increase limit, on what days ?
Standard charted is service very lousy atleast in my case, they never increased my limit, every time i request they say apply after 6 months ( they just copy/paste the format message & forward). last time they said to keep the card but they never did what they promise, so i'm closing their card.

Last edited by unknown : 2nd June 2014 at 23:33.
Old 3rd June 2014, 13:18   #1597
BHPian

Credit Card Fraud

Recently, I had been to the police station with a friend as he had some work. While I was waiting for him to get his work done, I overheard the SI saying that in the last couple of months alone there has been about 30-40 complaints regarding misuse / fraud using credit cards / debit cards and most complaints were related to cards from ICICI bank and Citi bank.

There were a couple of them who were waiting to register their complaint. I spoke to one of them to understand what happened. Here is what he said.

This guy has an ICICI bank credit card.
He has never lost his card as he showed me his card.

The thief first called his mobile company Airtel and got his mobile number de-activated saying the mobile is lost.
Then the thief went to an ICICI bank ATM and changed the address and mobile phone number on the credit card account.
Then generated a new pin for the credit card and withdrawn cash.
The cash withdrawal was charged to this guy's account.
He never realized it until 2 days after the incident.

The guy's cousin was trying to call him on his mobile number but his cousin kept getting a message that the number is not reachable. So the cousin called an alternative number and informed him that his mobile number is not reachable. This guy tried making an outgoing call on his mobile and he got the message that his number is temporarily deactivated.

He called Airtel to check why his number was de-activated and he was shocked to find out that someone claiming to be him had called Airtel and got his number blocked saying it was lost. He further checked with Airtel and was even more shocked to find that the thief had called Airtel 2 days back and verified his personal details like his name, address and email address and got his number blocked. Airtel people also said that the thief gave an incorrect DOB and since the thief had given other details correctly, the Airtel people gave away his correct DOB to the thief. This guy was furious with Airtel as to how they can give away his personal details like DOB even after the thief has given an incorrect one.

Then he immediately checked his bank account, credit card etc and that is when he realised that a cash withdrawal was done using his credit card 2 days ago.
The second guy waiting there also said that his case also is exactly the same as the first guy except that his was debit card from Citi bank.

By this time, the SI came out and he called out for people waiting to meet him to complain against credit card fraud / debit card fraud.
The SI announced that there has been so many cases recently especially with ICICI bank and Citi bank cards that the respective banks have setup their own investigation team and there is a dedicated contact person for the such cases. SI asked these people to go and personally meet the respective bank investigators after registering their complaint at the police station.

I was shocked to hear the extent to which the thieves have gone to commit this fraud like extracting his personal information, getting mobile number deactivated, withdraw cash etc.

Please be careful not only with your money, cards etc. but also your personal information.

Last edited by coolfyre : 3rd June 2014 at 13:20.
Old 3rd June 2014, 14:04   #1598
Senior - BHPian

Re: Credit Card Fraud

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfyre View Post

The thief first called his mobile company Airtel and got his mobile number de-activated saying the mobile is lost.
Then the thief went to an ICICI bank ATM and changed the address and mobile phone number on the credit card account.
Then generated a new pin for the credit card and withdrawn cash.
The cash withdrawal was charged to this guy's account.
He never realized it until 2 days after the incident.
Wouldn't he need a PIN to change the contact details via the ATM ?

Looking at how it was done, it has to be with insider help. There is no way he could have gotten so much information otherwise.
Old 3rd June 2014, 15:57   #1599
Senior - BHPian

Shocking to say the least.
Some serious questions are raised on the security parameters employed by Banks.

Quote:

He called Airtel to check why his number was de-activated and he was shocked to find out that someone claiming to be him had called Airtel and got his number blocked saying it was lost. He further checked with Airtel and was even more shocked to find that the thief had called Airtel 2 days back and verified his personal details like his name, address and email address and got his number blocked. Airtel people also said that the thief gave an incorrect DOB and since the thief had given other details correctly, the Airtel people gave away his correct DOB to the thief. This guy was furious with Airtel as to how they can give away his personal details like DOB even after the thief has given an incorrect one.
What is more shocking is the brilliant minds of Airtel customer care. How can any person forget his own DOB. Don't they have a little iota of common sense.
Old 3rd June 2014, 16:21   #1600
BHPian

Quote:
How did he change it without having the card and the pin? Card was never lost right?
Old 3rd June 2014, 16:45   #1601
Senior - BHPian

Credit card cloning is a common technique to create a copy of the card , as googling will tell you.

However, the PIN has to be "phished" somehow - such as through a hidden camera or by looking at someone making an entry on a swipe machine. Use of credit/debit cards in shady places/ATMs is best avoided.

I find it somewhat hard to believe that the card was cloned and the PIN was stolen and the personal details were phished to make this successful.
Old 3rd June 2014, 16:53   #1602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
However, the PIN has to be "phished" somehow - such as through a hidden camera or by looking at someone making an entry on a swipe machine.
Or by using a skimmer - something like this:

http://krebsonsecurity.com/all-about-skimmers/

(India has seen less than its share of skimmers so far, but I suppose that is changing now).
Old 16th June 2014, 18:48   #1603
BHPian

Today i received a letter from HDFC Bank saying my VISA Signature Card will be upgraded to Regalia Card automatically as the existing VISA Signature Card is Phased Out.

Anyone received the same? I am afraid here as the renewal charges for Regalia Card is 2,500 + Tax everywhere.
Old 16th June 2014, 19:19   #1604
BANNED

I am not too sure whether they are taking you on. Say you do not want any card with charges.
Old 16th June 2014, 19:46   #1605
BHPian

Just talked to HDFC Customer Care, They are happy to downgrade my card into Platinum Edge Card which is a lifetime free card or Upgrade to Regalia Card for a renewal fee of Rs. 2500 every year from 2nd year onwards.

Regalia Card has good offers like low interest rate, just 2% foreign currency charges and extra reward points for traveling and dining.

I am confused to what to choose now :-(

Update : Checked HDFC Bank Website and found that they have removed both VISA Signature and Master Card World Credit Card details from Schedule of Charges Page. Looks like they are phasing out both the cards.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks