Old 17th June 2014, 10:37   #1606
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Or by using a skimmer - something like this:

http://krebsonsecurity.com/all-about-skimmers/

(India has seen less than its share of skimmers so far, but I suppose that is changing now).
A skimmer is used to read the data in the mag stripe. The ATM pin is not stored in the mag stripe.
Old 17th June 2014, 11:12   #1607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik1100 View Post
A skimmer is used to read the data in the mag stripe. The ATM pin is not stored in the mag stripe.
Please read the linked set of articles. There is a lot of information about accessories to skimmers - items like "ATM PIN capture overlay device", "bogus PIN pad overlay" and so on - used to steal your card pin.
Old 17th June 2014, 14:11   #1608
BHPian

Quote:
Please read the linked set of articles. There is a lot of information about accessories to skimmers - items like "ATM PIN capture overlay device", "bogus PIN pad overlay" and so on - used to steal your card pin.
Is ATM PIN stored in the card? I thought it would be stored in the server.

This same issue cropped up when we were evaluating biometric access cards for office security. While I thought the finger print would be stored in the security system server, it turned out that it is stored in the card itself in order to achieve quick matching of user input and stored data. This is done to achieve fast throughput across the security gate. To me this exposes possibility of someone stealing an employee's card and modifying the finger print data contained in it.
Old 17th June 2014, 14:19   #1609
BHPian

Binand, yes, will read the articles.

Guite, no, ATM Pin isn't stored in the card. The mag stripe and chip has details called "Track2Data". This has information of card number, expiry, cvv1(not cvv2 shown back of card), service code and other data.

Ex: Card Number=ExpiryServicecodeCVV1Data
53XXXXXXXXXX6355=18035264390000019999

Last edited by Karthik1100 : 17th June 2014 at 14:24.
Old 17th June 2014, 17:41   #1610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
While I thought the finger print would be stored in the security system server, it turned out that it is stored in the card itself in order to achieve quick matching of user input and stored data. This is done to achieve fast throughput across the security gate. To me this exposes possibility of someone stealing an employee's card and modifying the finger print data contained in it.
Assuming that the matching is not done on the card but on the door-mounted unit of the security system - this is actually quite a well-known and acceptable architecture for access control. If the fingerprint is stored on the card by way of some common asymmetric encryption then it is not a big risk. Just that the private key needs to be stored safely. Under such circumstances modification of the data stored on the card will be impossible.
Old 18th June 2014, 16:40   #1611
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
Just talked to HDFC Customer Care, They are happy to downgrade my card into Platinum Edge Card which is a lifetime free card or Upgrade to Regalia Card for a renewal fee of Rs. 2500 every year from 2nd year onwards.

Regalia Card has good offers like low interest rate, just 2% foreign currency charges and extra reward points for traveling and dining.

I am confused to what to choose now :-(

Update : Checked HDFC Bank Website and found that they have removed both VISA Signature and Master Card World Credit Card details from Schedule of Charges Page. Looks like they are phasing out both the cards.
I too got the letter. I called them up and told only if its a lifetime free card send it across. So the customer care guy told you can continue using your current card and they wont replace it. He didn't mention anything about downgrading my card though.
Old 18th June 2014, 16:52   #1612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycatcher View Post
I too got the letter. I called them up and told only if its a lifetime free card send it across. So the customer care guy told you can continue using your current card and they wont replace it. He didn't mention anything about downgrading my card though.
One of the backend executive had called me and said the same that I can continue using existing card and it won't be cancelled. However I was given another option like accepting the upgraded card now as it will be free for the first 12 months then request for a downgrade to other lifetime free card at the end of 12th month usage.

I accepted the latter hoping I can downgrade it back at the end of 12th month.
Old 18th June 2014, 22:38   #1613
BHPian

OT question. Is it possible to use a gift card to make purchases from sites like AliExpress?
I have got one worth Rs. 1000.
Old 19th June 2014, 11:16   #1614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
OT question. Is it possible to use a gift card to make purchases from sites like AliExpress?
I have got one worth Rs. 1000.
Gift cards(aka Prepaid card) issued from Indian banks can be used on any Indian merchants only. Can you tell me which Bank's gift card is it?

Last edited by Karthik1100 : 19th June 2014 at 11:18.
Old 19th June 2014, 11:44   #1615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik1100 View Post
Gift cards(aka Prepaid card) issued from Indian banks can be used on any Indian merchants only. Can you tell me which Bank's gift card is it?
Hi, this one is from ICICI.
Old 29th June 2014, 13:33   #1616
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Today i received a letter from HDFC Bank saying my VISA Signature Card will be upgraded to Regalia Card automatically as the existing VISA Signature Card is Phased Out.
I haven't received any letter, but today when I logged into my netbanking I saw a new card, "Jet Privilege HDFC Bank World Card" (which is a MasterCard from the number) with 50% higher credit limit than my existing Visa Signature Card. The existing card shows 0 for credit limit and balance, with the status, "Transferred".

Quote:
Regalia Card has good offers like low interest rate, just 2% foreign currency charges and extra reward points for traveling and dining.
I don't want an airline co-branded card (in fact, I don't want any co-branded card). I want (a) some way of getting 0 joining/annual fees (with reasonable credit spending requirements) and (b) full fuel surcharge waiver at ALL pumps across India. Is there any other card that is currently actively offered by HDFC Bank with these features? My fuel spend this year is expected to reach 1.3-1.4L, so this is a major requirement for me.

If not HDFC Bank, then who else for a full fuel surcharge waiver?
Old 29th June 2014, 14:45   #1617
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I don't want an airline co-branded card (in fact, I don't want any co-branded card). I want (a) some way of getting 0 joining/annual fees (with reasonable credit spending requirements) and (b) full fuel surcharge waiver at ALL pumps across India. Is there any other card that is currently actively offered by HDFC Bank with these features? My fuel spend this year is expected to reach 1.3-1.4L, so this is a
major requirement for me.

If not HDFC Bank, then who else for a full fuel surcharge waiver?
Ask HDFC about Titanium Edge. I have been using one for about 4 years now. Never paid any annual/renewal fee or any fuel surcharge.
They will not reverse the tax amount of surcharge unless you mail them and follow it up. Once in place though, works for subsequent transactions.

This card also has cashback benefits.
Old 29th June 2014, 21:02   #1618
BHPian

Hey guys, I have a problem. I've been trying to make a purchase from a website based in UK and I don't have a credit card so obviously, my allahabad visa debit card got declined. A little bit of digging revealed that Indian debit cards(though, they claim that they're international) are not accepted for foreign transactions. Even a gift card is useless. So without a credit card, I'm stuck. Is there any other way? Even PayPal isn't accepting my card.
Old 29th June 2014, 22:05   #1619
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by createrkid View Post
Hey guys, I have a problem. I've been trying to make a purchase from a website based in UK and I don't have a credit card so obviously, my allahabad visa debit card got declined. A little bit of digging revealed that Indian debit cards(though, they claim that they're international) are not accepted for foreign transactions. Even a gift card is useless. So without a credit card, I'm stuck. Is there any other way? Even PayPal isn't accepting my card.
As per RBI instructions, Indian debit cards are blocked from international transactions by default. You just need to get in touch with the issuing bank to enable it (it might even be a self-service option in your bank's netbanking interface).

Make sure you turn it off once done.
Old 29th June 2014, 22:06   #1620
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by createrkid View Post
I was gonna suggest a virtual card but seems it is similar to a gift card. I have used a HDFC and ICICI one a few times. Worth a try if you have a SB account with either of them. Also, SBI used to offer something similar - don't know if it still does. Main selling point of such cards is protecting you against online shopping scams. So my guess is, these should work for you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks