Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2014, 14:48   #1846
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
I think it wouldn't matter when they convert your points. The points required to purchase any item differ from card to card, and the final item remains the same, only the 'currency' or the points change based on the card type. Your past points would hold same purchasing power in the new card, even though they would appear reduced.
Oh yes, you're right. Although the ratio is not 1:2, it would not have made a big difference, unless one has accumulated a lot of points.

A 1000 rupee Hidesign voucher requires 3030 points on platinum and 2830 points on Superia.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 26th December 2014 at 14:50.
Old 26th December 2014, 16:20   #1847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Be very skeptical of the bank's promises. Did they waive off only this year's charges for you (because you made noise) or waived off lifetime charges? If the latter, do you have anything in writing from the bank? If not, it will be your word against theirs when the renewal comes around.
Currently, it is in somewhere hidden in the middle of the email chain. I can probably ask them to formally send out a communication to this regard.

In spite, I would assume, I will face the same issues like you where they will bill me & I have to fight it back (which I dont want to again after 1 year - I know it is bad, but do miss to check the card statement many a time).

I would've avoided all this if they just left my existing non-chip card as it is till 2018. They have a RBI mandate trump-card to play why they have replaced it. But, I am sure they dont have any answer for whether they took any confirmation from the customer for change in charges for the upgraded card.
Old 26th December 2014, 17:29   #1848
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
Currently, it is in somewhere hidden in the middle of the email chain. I can probably ask them to formally send out a communication to this regard.

In spite, I would assume, I will face the same issues like you where they will bill me & I have to fight it back (which I dont want to again after 1 year - I know it is bad, but do miss to check the card statement many a time).

I would've avoided all this if they just left my existing non-chip card as it is till 2018. They have a RBI mandate trump-card to play why they have replaced it. But, I am sure they dont have any answer for whether they took any confirmation from the customer for change in charges for the upgraded card.
Best to get an official email sent to you from the relevant folk, else it's just 'he said, she said' when an argument comes up. May seem pedantic, but saves you a possible headache in the long run.

Even if one's diligent tracking statements, smaller charges like these do tend to slip by sometimes. Unfortunate that a customer has to stay alert from such 'unscrupulous' activities from the bank itself.

All that being said, it's imperative that you move to a chip & pin based card. Can't be safe enough in today's times when it's child's play for people with the right tools to defraud an unsuspecting card user.
Old 3rd January 2015, 00:57   #1849
BHPian

Quote:
Best to get an official email sent to you from the relevant folk, else it's just 'he said, she said' when an argument comes up. May seem pedantic, but saves you a possible headache in the long run.
Yes. I will do it to ensure that I dont have to spend more time later. Anyways, have escalated to their MD's id (generic one) last week. As expected, I got a irrelevant response to my questions, again mentioning that the card is indeed free blah blah. Have reverted back asking them to stick to what I am asking :P Current status is that they need more time to check & revert back. Let me follow-up & see where this will end up finally.

Last edited by null : 3rd January 2015 at 00:59. Reason: typo
Old 3rd January 2015, 12:35   #1850
D C
BHPian

Quote:
Be very skeptical of the bank's promises. Did they waive off only this year's charges for you (because you made noise) or waived off lifetime charges? If the latter, do you have anything in writing from the bank? If not, it will be your word against theirs when the renewal comes around.

I was charged the annual fees this year even though I comfortably outspent the waiver limit, and it took several calls and a month+ to get the charge reversed. Their escalation matrix is hit and miss. I went as far a the Nodal Officer for a credit limit enhancement issue but am yet to get a response, well past their claimed turnaround time.
Very valid point. Amex calls me every 6 months for selling a first year free gold charge card without a limit. And, at the end of discussion I ask them for an email confirming that the first year is free from an Amex official email address, since its not in any of the brochure they sent me. That's the end of discussion, there wouldn't not be any news from them for another 6 months. 6 months later there will be another executive calling me with the same offer, and we start all over again. This already happened 3 times
Old 3rd January 2015, 15:14   #1851
rkg
Senior - BHPian

got an email from HDFC stating that they will upgrade my 3 years old platinum plus card to superia card free for life without any annual fee.
Old 3rd January 2015, 15:29   #1852
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
got an email from HDFC stating that they will upgrade my 3 years old platinum plus card to superia card free for life without any annual fee.
What are the extra benefits with superia card? I'm not seeing much offers with Platinum Plus these days, though the fuel surcharge waiver is still there and that is my primary requirement. Reward points seem to be higher in my ICICI debit card than on HDFC card.
Old 4th January 2015, 21:37   #1853
BHPian

Guys,

Can anyone explain me what is the difference between credit cards and charge cards. I came across this term "charge cards" on American Express' website. I tried to search for it but still did not understand it perfectly. Any help here will be greatly appreciated!
Old 4th January 2015, 21:51   #1854
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Guys, Can anyone explain me what is the difference between credit cards and charge cards. I came across this term "charge cards" on American Express' website. I tried to search for it but still did not understand it perfectly. Any help here will be greatly appreciated!
Hope this helps: http://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/chargecard.asp

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 5th January 2015, 10:29   #1855
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
What are the extra benefits with superia card? I'm not seeing much offers with Platinum Plus these days, though the fuel surcharge waiver is still there and that is my primary requirement. Reward points seem to be higher in my ICICI debit card than on HDFC card.
Marginally superior. 3 points for every Rs 150 as against 2 points for Rs 150 in case platinum.
Plus redemption value of points is approximately 10% more in case of superia vs platinum.

Fuel surcharge waiver is more @ 500/per month
Most important for me is free for life without any annual fee.
Old 5th January 2015, 10:43   #1856
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Marginally superior. 3 points for every Rs 150 as against 2 points for Rs 150 in case platinum.
Plus redemption value of points is approximately 10% more in case of superia vs platinum.

Fuel surcharge waiver is more @ 500/per month
Most important for me is free for life without any annual fee.
I thought it was 3 points for 150 in case of platinum plus. Thanks for correction.

BTW, are you sure it is lifetime free? In most cases, this lifetime free comes with a disclaimer of minimum annual spend. From what I see on the site, minimum annual spend would be 75k for Superia (100k in case of Doctor's Superia)

Last edited by zenren : 5th January 2015 at 11:12.
Old 5th January 2015, 11:32   #1857
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I thought it was 3 points for 150 in case of platinum plus. Thanks for correction.

BTW, are you sure it is lifetime free? In most cases, this lifetime free comes with a disclaimer of minimum annual spend. From what I see on the site, minimum annual spend would be 75k for Superia (100k in case of Doctor's Superia)
Yeah. The email specifically says so. I do know that there is annual spend limit. I had queried them about annual fee and then they have sent this mail.

"This is with reference to your email dated 01 January 2015 regarding your HDFC Bank credit card account.

We wish to inform you that we shall review to upgrade your existing Master EMV Platinum credit card into a World Superia credit card which will be complimentary for life without any annual membership fee. We request you to forward duly filled attached upgrade MID to the below mentioned address. Upon receipt of the same we shall process and intimate you accordingly."
Old 5th January 2015, 11:56   #1858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah. The email specifically says so. I do know that there is annual spend limit. I had queried them about annual fee and then they have sent this mail.

"This is with reference to your email dated 01 January 2015 regarding your HDFC Bank credit card account.

We wish to inform you that we shall review to upgrade your existing Master EMV Platinum credit card into a World Superia credit card which will be complimentary for life without any annual membership fee. We request you to forward duly filled attached upgrade MID to the below mentioned address. Upon receipt of the same we shall process and intimate you accordingly."
Interesting.

I have an ICICI Gold card that I got long back - it doesn't attract any annual charges if I don't use it at all. In case I use it, they'll immediately charge the annual fees and would waive it off only after I cross the minimum spend. As long as I'm not using it, they wouldn't bill me anything.
Old 5th January 2015, 13:35   #1859
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Interesting.

I have an ICICI Gold card that I got long back - it doesn't attract any annual charges if I don't use it at all. In case I use it, they'll immediately charge the annual fees and would waive it off only after I cross the minimum spend. As long as I'm not using it, they wouldn't bill me anything.
I just upgraded to the ICICI Coral variant, and promptly cancelled the other two ICICI cards I'd been hoarding (a Gold and a Platinum). The 'conditions apply' bits of membership fees are an unnecessary headache, so I just thought it best to dump cards I'd upgraded from.

P.S.: One lesson I've learnt the hard way is to never take 'limited period only' or 'subject to special criteria' offers if I can avoid them. The banks either conveniently forget the offer ever existed when it's time to charge fees, or make customers jump through hoops to get a resolution.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 5th January 2015 at 13:39.
Old 8th January 2015, 21:13   #1860
Senior - BHPian

Bad day today. Got a message on my phone from SBI Card saying GBP100 was spent on steamgames.com. Before I could react, I get a message saying another 25GBP was spent, then another saying 50GBP was spent.

Another GBP50 transaction was rejected due to suspicious activity, as was a 3.33USD transaction. Then a transaction of GBP100 was blocked due to insufficient funds. Then another GBP50 transaction was made.

Immediately got a call from SBI Office who asked me about these transactions and I said all of them have not been from my end. They immediately blocked the card and then asked me to call 39020202 tomorrow morning to have the transactions reversed.

I am surprisingly calm! There are few others on the web who have reported the same problem with steamgames.com.

Hope it works out for me!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks