Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2016, 21:29   #2221
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
It's usually better to transfer payment for credit cards via Netbanking.
You mean pay from an account with the same bank that issued the card? The problem is, Citi has some onerous requirements for having a (non-salary) savings bank account whereas they dole out cards quite easily.
Old 8th September 2016, 22:59   #2222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
You mean pay from an account with the same bank that issued the card? The problem is, Citi has some onerous requirements for having a (non-salary) savings bank account whereas they dole out cards quite easily.
No. When you make payment, there is always an option to pay via Netbanking, just like when you are shopping online.
I always use that option.
Old 9th September 2016, 06:13   #2223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Is this valid on the Amex Platinum Charge card?
Should be, but you need to enrol to the program.
Old 14th September 2016, 13:51   #2224
BHPian

For the last two weeks, I am getting calls from Amex, first for their gold charge card and now for platinum credit card.

The annual fee for gold charge card is for Rs.1000 first year and Rs.4500 from next year onwards. They are showing lot of cash back, reward points which will be more than the charge. However, I didn't go for that considering my current ICICI rubyx card which has payback points and I want to consolidated all my reward points to one card.

Now I got a call for Platinum credit card which is life time free. Considering I have already a good credit card from ICICI (which includes a co-branded Amex card), is there any real advantage I should go for this Amex platinum card? Even though no charge on this, I don't want to add an overhead of managing multiple cards unless there is some significant advantage of having an Amex card compare to Visa / Master cards. Please advice.
Old 17th September 2016, 17:22   #2225
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar View Post
Considering I have already a good credit card from ICICI (which includes a co-branded Amex card), is there any real advantage I should go for this Amex platinum card?
If you already have the benefits of the Amex card, why another Amex ? Any additional benefits of taking one ?
Old 2nd October 2016, 10:19   #2226
Distinguished - BHPian

Bad news for all Reglia lovers, it's getting devalued!! More details here: http://www.cardexpert.in/hdfc-regali...other-changes/

Now it seems like the only other card with as high points reward is Infinia or Diners
I am not keen on Diners as their acceptance is very low. Infinia is hard to get, my father got one sometime ago, was hoping I use that as a bait to get my own. What the best way to get an Infinia? My spending is decently high on the regalia already.
Old 2nd October 2016, 18:30   #2227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Bad news for all Reglia lovers, it's getting devalued!! More details here: http://www.cardexpert.in/hdfc-regali...other-changes/

Now it seems like the only other card with as high points reward is Infinia or Diners
I am not keen on Diners as their acceptance is very low. Infinia is hard to get, my father got one sometime ago, was hoping I use that as a bait to get my own. What the best way to get an Infinia? My spending is decently high on the regalia already.
This explains why hdfc has started issuing so many of these cards lately. Hdfc has greatly relaxed the criteria now for obtaining a regalia. I have a Diners Club card and its acceptability is greatly improving. The 10X reward scheme that they offer on certain online purchases make it superior to regalia in my opinion. This is my assessment of Cards offered by hdfc.
Diners black > infinia>diners premium >regalia
Old 4th October 2016, 15:37   #2228
BANNED

Anyone using Indus Ind's Platinum Aura card? Can someone throw some light on how good the card is and their reward points?

Last edited by mohammedismail : 4th October 2016 at 15:52.
Old 7th October 2016, 11:08   #2229
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I have a small question regarding cash back. Recently, there was an offer on Iphone 7 wherein if you transact using a Citibank card, you get cash back of Rs 10k which will be available in January 2017. Now, let us say in the month of January, my credit card bill comes out to be Rs 40k. Now since I have cash back, my net bill should come out to be Rs 30k (i.e. 40k minus 10k).

But what if I do not make any transactions in the month of January or say I have a bill of just Rs 2k? How will the cash back work in that case? Will it be carried forward to the next month's billing cycle or will it lapse?
Old 7th October 2016, 13:06   #2230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
But what if I do not make any transactions in the month of January or say I have a bill of just Rs 2k? How will the cash back work in that case? Will it be carried forward to the next month's billing cycle or will it lapse?
Be rest assured that the balance amount will be carried forward. Will not lapse.
Old 7th October 2016, 14:00   #2231
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
...Will it be carried forward to the next month's billing cycle or will it lapse?
The balance just gets added to your 'Total Available Credit', you won't lose anything.
Old 14th October 2016, 18:08   #2232
BHPian

How to deal with credit card scam ?

My friend was scammed into giving my credit card information over phone. I know he shouldn’t have given away his credit card information and multiple OTPs which he recieved on his phone, but since its done can we do anything to recover money or catch the people.

Steps already taken:

1. Blocked both credit cards whose information scamsters recieved

2. Disputed all the transaction through transaction dispute form in both banks

3. Filed police complaint and following up with cyber cell of pune

4. Contacted merchant (PayTM in this case) and notified transactions were fraud.

Bank is saying money charged by PayTM is already authorised by them, they can’t stop that and PayTM told that money is already withdrawn to multiple bank account and they can’t do nothing about it, they could only save 4k out of 2 lakhs :(

PayTM have shared the bank account details and KYC forms after police complaint in which the money was withdrawn. Ideally police or cyber cell should follow up and find out who these people are but I don’t think they would do much since these out of state people (UP and Haryana) and they already have too many similar cases, there response also was saying the same thing.

Also I looked at some of KYC forms, they seem poor people whom I guess too would have been scammed into giving their ID proofs.

What additional steps can we take to further our cause ? Can we sue PayTM since they are also culprits in a way as we had notified them as same day when it happened but they don’t have any live phone number where can talk to people directly, so all we could do is send them email for which they took 2 days to respond and all the money had transferred by then. They also might have a part in fraud KYCs.

Last edited by Haste : 14th October 2016 at 18:20.
Old 14th October 2016, 19:42   #2233
BHPian

Re: How to deal with credit card scam ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haste View Post
What additional steps can we take to further our cause ? Can we sue PayTM since they are also culprits in a way as we had notified them as same day when it happened but they don’t have any live phone number where can talk to people directly, so all we could do is send them email for which they took 2 days to respond and all the money had transferred by then. They also might have a part in fraud KYCs.
Talking only from a legal standpoint here.

No, they are not culprits in any way. The issues you highlight (no phone number, email support) do not come across as legal issues, they may/ may not be customer service issues.

Also, the initial mistake is from your end. Any court will trash out the case in the first hearing.

As for KYC, any bank/ financial institution does not have the responsibility to verify beyond KYC. If you give a PAN card that matches the name on the account and that largely matches the photograph- that is pretty much it.

I don't think much will come out of this. Sorry for your loss and be more careful in the future.

Tapish
Old 15th October 2016, 10:26   #2234
BHPian

2 lakhs is a huge amount and I am sure there would be hundreds of such cases with similar or larger amounts.

Some awareness advertisements/ campaigns should be run by govt on TV so that this menace can be tackled and gullible people are made extra careful about such transactions. I think, 90-95 % people are aware of such things but still in terms of numbers, remaining chunk is huge.
Old 15th October 2016, 15:03   #2235
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haste View Post
My friend was scammed into giving my credit card information over phone. I know he shouldn’t have given away his credit card information and multiple OTPs which he recieved on his phone, but since its done can we do anything to recover money or catch the people.
Something doesn't quite add up. Does your friend understand the concept of two-factor authentication of which the OTP is an integral part? There are any number of messages that your credit card company/bank send you warning you NOT to share PINs, one-time passwords and so on.

The whole idea is that your credit card can only be authorised for online payment AFTER you have entered the second factor which in this case is linked to a message received on your registered mobile phone. When this was first introduced in India I thought it was an unnecessary headache. But given the number of online transactions I routinely perform, am really thankful for the wisdom of our lawmakers now. It's virtually fool-proof.

Forgive my bluntness but I don't see how PayTM or any other gateway that scrupulously follows the 2-factor system can be held responsible for your friend's lapse in judgement. I am in fact extremely curious what persuaded your friend to share a transaction password over the phone with a third party, presumably unknown to them.

In fact there is still a card in my family that is not chip+PIN enabled and I have clearly issued a diktat that the card is NOT to be used under any circumstances, especially not online. Caveat emptor!

Most Viewed