Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2020, 11:20   #3481
BHPian

Re: The Credit Card Thread

I would also recommend using the CRED app for tracking credit card payments & due dates. Its a one time activity adding the cards to one's account post which the app keeps a track of due dates and outstanding balance. Worth a try.
Old 12th February 2020, 11:26   #3482
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjainv View Post
I would recommend folks here trying to keep up with due dates etc to try out SMS Organizer app from Microsoft. I use it on android phone for last few years and there is no going back from it for me.

It will keep track of your credit cards for you based on all the SMS messages you get - showing you your credit account statement, current outstanding, due date etc... all reconstructed/tracked through SMS.
+1. The thing works! Best part is its not a dedicated app all over again.
Old 12th February 2020, 12:44   #3483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas08 View Post
I had sent a slightly nasty email to HDFC customer care regarding the devaluation of Regalia.
I have a question for credit card experts here. I have been using Citibank Rewards card for a long time. Now, I am thinking of applying for a HDFC Regalia credit card. I read that the rewards points accrued on Regalia card are valid for 2 years only. Let us assume that I have earned 10k rewards point on Regalia which amount to Rs 5k in value terms. Can I convert these reward points into cashback which can reduce by credit card bill? I do not want to be in a situation where I am forced to make a transaction (book a flight or hotel) just to utilize reward points before their expiry date.
Old 12th February 2020, 13:02   #3484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
I have a question for credit card experts here. I have been using Citibank Rewards card for a long time. Now, I am thinking of applying for a HDFC Regalia credit card. I read that the rewards points accrued on Regalia card are valid for 2 years only. Let us assume that I have earned 10k rewards point on Regalia which amount to Rs 5k in value terms. Can I convert these reward points into cashback which can reduce by credit card bill? I do not want to be in a situation where I am forced to make a transaction (book a flight or hotel) just to utilize reward points before their expiry date.
The best conversion rate of Reward Points in HDFC Credit Cards are achieved through Flight / Hotel Bookings. All other redemption are half the value of that.

So if you want to redeem 10K points, it will be

For Flight / Hotel Bookings - 5000 Rs. equivalent
Statement credit or other Rewards - 2500 Rs. equivalent
Old 12th February 2020, 13:24   #3485
BHPian

Quote:
The best conversion rate of Reward Points in HDFC Credit Cards are achieved through Flight / Hotel Bookings. All other redemption are half the value of that.

Thanks for the quick response! Would you recommend any other credit cards which are closest to Regalia in terms of rewards? I checked out the Citibank IOC card but I do not have a Indian Oil petrol pump near my house.
Old 12th February 2020, 13:32   #3486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
I would also recommend using the CRED app for tracking credit card payments & due dates. Its a one time activity adding the cards to one's account post which the app keeps a track of due dates and outstanding balance. Worth a try.
Have been using Cred for over a year now. It now also has the option to set up Auto-pay. No need to track due dates or outstanding while still earning the Cred coins.

I have found the solution one of the most convenient one till date.
Old 12th February 2020, 17:51   #3487
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for all the suggestions.

My wife has got me an addon card to her HDFC Bank Solitaire card. She is far more prudent when it comes to financial matter. I think this is a workable solution.
Old 12th February 2020, 19:26   #3488
BHPian

Quote:
Here is the link for the Credit Card Upgrade Form
If you have a bank account with them, you could try to make a request for DCB or Infinia. If you dont have a bank account with them, then most likely you will have to be content with Regalia.
Thank you for the information. I have mailed them the form with a request to Upgrade to Regalia. Lets see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthacharya View Post
Try logging into Netbanking portal (Or Credit card portal in case of no banking Accounts with HDFC) and check the option for "Credit Card Upgrade" on the left side menu. I was on the same lines as you, and this option was enabled for me even though i didnt get any mail, call or SMS regarding upgrade posibility. Got the new upgraded credit card in hand within 3 days.
Thank you, I checked this. But I got a message stating 'No upgrade available for your account'. I have mailed the Upgrade form mentioned by tejas08. I will see how it goes.If it doesn't work out, I will try reopening the savings account with them. I had my salary account with them 15 years ago which became dormant. I used to get yearly statements of the dormant account for a few years after which it stopped.
Old 12th February 2020, 21:47   #3489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
INow, I am thinking of applying for a HDFC Regalia credit card. I read that the rewards points accrued on Regalia card are valid for 2 years only. Let us assume that I have earned 10k rewards point on Regalia which amount to Rs 5k in value terms. Can I convert these reward points into cashback which can reduce by credit card bill
You can also get Amazon vouchers for Regalia card.
Though the value of the reward points will be 0.35Rs per point.

Quote:

So if you want to redeem 10K points, it will be

For Flight / Hotel Bookings - 5000 Rs. equivalent
Statement credit or other Rewards - 2500 Rs. equivalent
Flight or Hotel bookings are no longer lucrative for Regalia as one can only use points for 70% of the transaction value and the rest 30% has to be paid by card.
Old 12th February 2020, 22:14   #3490
BHPian

My ICICI card isn't scanned by CRED. The app displays the card but doesn't show the due amount. Citi and HDFC cards are perfectly alright. Is anyone else facing this issue?
Old 13th February 2020, 22:37   #3491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawhat View Post
My ICICI card isn't scanned by CRED. The app displays the card but doesn't show the due amount. Citi and HDFC cards are perfectly alright. Is anyone else facing this issue?
Same here. Anyway my ICICI card has been replaced so many times the official recorded number is probably an old number. I still pay on an old number account, the current card number account still gets updated.

After reading about CRED in this thread I too tried it. While it is convenient, some where in the back of my mind I feel as if there might be privacy issues. What is certain is that certain parties has access to my (our) credit card usage history. So a part of our finance history is recorded out there, tabulated and saved for eons to come. Till now I thought those data were separate records in each bank's database.

The app itself does not show correct status of bill payment. Some bills already paid last week are shown as overdue.
Old 14th February 2020, 11:23   #3492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
After reading about CRED in this thread I too tried it. While it is convenient, some where in the back of my mind I feel as if there might be privacy issues. What is certain is that certain parties has access to my (our) credit card usage history. So a part of our finance history is recorded out there, tabulated and saved for eons to come. Till now I thought those data were separate records in each bank's database.
Our credit history is an open secret. Today every financial organisation (no matter the size) has access to it. If you see, there are multiple credit score check websites now ranging from BankBazaar to ClearScore. Every day we receive several phone calls made by different bank reps offering loans citing good credit scores. How do the banks know our credit scores/history when we haven't dealt with any of them previously? Like phone numbers our PAN numbers are also out in the open. All we try to do is just safeguard ourselves from any financial damage.
Old 14th February 2020, 12:13   #3493
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Our credit history is an open secret. Today every financial organisation (no matter the size) has access to it. If you see, there are multiple credit score check websites now ranging from BankBazaar to ClearScore.
None of them have access to your credit score / history unless you authorise their access.

Quote:
Every day we receive several phone calls made by different bank reps offering loans citing good credit scores. How do the banks know our credit scores/history when we haven't dealt with any of them previously?
They don't. They just take a shot in the dark that "you have a good credit score, you are eligible for loan from us for Rs. NNN".

Quote:
Like phone numbers our PAN numbers are also out in the open. All we try to do is just safeguard ourselves from any financial damage.
It is not. To look up anyone's PAN you require their name, DoB and access to the mobile where the OTP is sent.
Old 14th February 2020, 14:44   #3494
Senior - BHPian

Those considering CRED or using it already may find this interview of Kunal Shah interesting:
https://yourstory.com/2019/08/kunal-...erview-sequoia

He talks about building a community of members based on trust, and then gives some examples of potential rewards the members will get in future. Its an interesting concept, but it's given that CRED will want to collect data from individuals on spending patterns, and share it with other partners, so that later they will want to target you with some rewards.

Speaking of trust - most important aspect for me on using it or not right now is how much one can trust CRED itself? In its current form I am not able see much of a benefit as such for what it offers.
Old 14th February 2020, 15:08   #3495
BHPian

Having installed the app and activated it, I have authorised CRED to access my credit cards and my credit history. The developer may talk about trust but he is running a business. When it comes time to monetise this database he certainly will.

I do not see any option to opt out after installing and activating the app. Uninstalling will not undo the access right you have granted to CRED. I wish it does. i sort of regret using this app.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks