Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2021, 19:31   #4801
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Just that I feel I don't need a higher limit for my usage.
Me too. My monthly usage aggregated on all cards is about 5% average of their combined credit limit. But I leave the limit there for that one just-in-case instance.
Old 11th September 2021, 02:03   #4802
BHPian

I recently started using PayZapp and noticed two offers for regalia card (amongst others)
a) transaction through PayZapp above 2k will earn 3x reward points; and
b) using Hdfc credit card to load PayZapp virtual card will earn 2x points.

I tried to pay through PayZapp (scanning qr code) recently at two retail stores but none of them accept payments through PayZapp. I presume it has limited accessibility unlike say a Gpay.

My query therefore is if I should load my PayZapp virtual card through my regalia card (I.e., avail the 2x reward) and then use the virtual card to make online payments above 2k and avail the 3x rewards?

Is this the correct way to avail these offers given the limitations in making payments directly at retail stores. Am I missing a catch somewhere?
Old 11th September 2021, 06:16   #4803
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACe_10 View Post
Is this the correct way to avail these offers given the limitations in making payments directly at retail stores. Am I missing a catch somewhere?
For online payments which accept Payzapp as a wallet option, you can use your regalia card through payzapp to get 3x reward points.
For transactions which doesn't have this option, you can load the payzapp virtual card and transact to get 2x points.

Payzapp is only good for online transactions. It is only useful offline, if the store has Bharat QR rather than UPI.
speedmiester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 08:47   #4804

Hello All,

After going through this thread and feedbacks, I got the HDFC Regalia CC.
I am still new in dealing with this and have a few queries and trying to make sure I do this right.

If I make a purchase of 50k for example, on CC and opt for the no cost EMI do I still get the full reward points for this transaction ? I did see few posts which mentioned it won't. Wanted to confirm.

If we go via regular EMI option where the bank usually charges 13% interest rate, do we get the reward points in this unlike the no cost EMI ?

I am intended to make large purchases and EMI would be helpful. If I do not get reward points then I would be ok to make the full payment upfront as well.

I did see a few posts which mention it is good to keep the monthly spends at 30% of the limit provided to ensure good CIBIL score. Do I have this right ? How much would it affect if we cross this ?

Do we get reward points for transactions if we make purchases online in the company website or would it be only through the POS machines at outlets ?

Anything else I might need to keep in mind would be much appreciated. 😅

TIA for all your valuable feedback.
Old 11th September 2021, 09:26   #4805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix_VR View Post

Anything else I might need to keep in mind would be much appreciated. 😅

TIA for all your valuable feedback.
There will be no reward points for any emi transactions for Regalia card
speedmiester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 09:56   #4806
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix_VR View Post
If I make a purchase of 50k for example, on CC and opt for the no cost EMI do I still get the full reward points for this transaction?
Nope, most of the banks do not give reward points for EMI transactions. Going through your post, I understand you've opted for HDFC - they also belong to this category.

Quote:
If we go via regular EMI option where the bank usually charges 13% interest rate, do we get the reward points in this unlike the no cost EMI?
No reward points are accrued for any EMI transactions, be it No Cost EMI or not. Willingness to pay interest doesn't help here!

Quote:
I did see a few posts which mention it is good to keep the monthly spends at 30% of the limit provided to ensure good CIBIL score. Do I have this right ? How much would it affect if we cross this?
This is true but I haven't been much bothered about it. Some cards of mine have low credit limit and I have used more than 90% of the limit. It does effect your CIBIL score but not to a significant level unless all your credit cards have high credit utilized. Either ways, I have seen them regain back the points within 1-3 months of paying the bill - provided all other factors remain the same or doesn't go down.

If you're not opting for EMI transaction, then you could buy upto any limit and repay it before the bill is generated. This doesn't seem to effect the credit rating at all.

Quote:
Do we get reward points for transactions if we make purchases online in the company website or would it be only through the POS machines at outlets?
You'd get reward points on both but watch out for any offers or bonus points. HDFC Regalia has good reward points system. Try looking into HDFC Smartbuy website to see the brands covered for online transactions.

Quote:
Anything else I might need to keep in mind would be much appreciated
Don't miss your payments at any cost!
logicalidiot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 10:03   #4807
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
This card should be there by default in everybody's wallet as its free and you can always control the limit. Yes, if you don't use Amazon at all, it doesnt make sense. But if you do use amazon and uber its a no brainer really.

I see a lot of interest in this thread in the Amazon Pay - ICICI card. As I see it, perhaps it does make sense as a first card. But not necessarily otherwise. It offers a 5% payback to Amazon Prime members (3% to others) as Amazon Pay balance. Whereas HDFC cards offer at least 5% as cashback (much more as reward points for premium cards) year round to even non-Prime customers. Moreover, the cashback is in the form of direct credit into the card account, which is far superior any day to being restricted to the Amazon Pay wallet. Other banks offer similar rewards too (e.g. Axis cards)!
Old 11th September 2021, 11:09   #4808
BHPian

Recently after a purchase at Amazon discovered that HDFC infinia offers more value than Amazon Icici card. I bought a mobile for 15k and if I had used Amazon Icici card would have got 750 Amazon cash back but with 5x reward points thru Hdfc SmartBuy got 2500 points which I converted to some GVs worth Rs.1250. I think I'll start using HDFC Infinia from now on rather than Amazon Icici card and CITI IOC card exclusively for fuel purchases.
Old 11th September 2021, 11:36   #4809
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtdvl View Post
Recently after a purchase at Amazon discovered that HDFC infinia offers more value than Amazon Icici card. I bought a mobile for 15k and if I had used Amazon Icici card would have got 750 Amazon cash back but with 5x reward points thru Hdfc SmartBuy got 2500 points which I converted to some GVs worth Rs.1250. I think I'll start using HDFC Infinia from now on rather than Amazon Icici card and CITI IOC card exclusively for fuel purchases.
I got to know about this few months back and I have been using HDFC CC for purchases from Amazon even though I have Amazon Pay ICICI CC.
So, as long as these 5x/3x reward schemes are running, I will keep using my HDFC CC for any puchases from Amazon/FK.
And for bill payments through Amazon where I cannot get these 5x rewards, I generate voucher from gyftr to claim 5x reward points (till few days back, this used to have 10x reward points).
Old 11th September 2021, 13:52   #4810
Senior - BHPian

I may HAVE to go to the U.S.A. sometime soon. Can anyone with actual experience tell me if Indian debit cards from Indian banks, set up to be international, actually work and are accepted in the U.S.??? I have one from SBI, Canara, HDFC respectively. All are VISA.
Old 11th September 2021, 14:25   #4811
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
I may HAVE to go to the U.S.A. sometime soon. Can anyone with actual experience tell me if Indian debit cards from Indian banks, set up to be international, actually work and are accepted in the U.S.??? I have one from SBI, Canara, HDFC respectively. All are VISA.
Get yourself a forex card linked to the same account and put some money into it and use it abroad.

Its what most people end up doing, though the forex rates are atrocious.

The other option is to get a card from DBS bank, who does not charge any forex commission etc.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 15:05   #4812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All cards work provided you have approved international usage in your card. Using your own credit card is the best option in my view.
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 19:29   #4813
BHPian

Quote:
Even though all will work abroad, I wouldn’t advice using debit cards. Get a credit card instead or get a forex card with fixed limits. This will safeguard you in case the cards get stolen or hacked on atm machines over there.
click is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 21:32   #4814
BHPian

Quote:
Debit cards have been under RBI scrutiny recently and most likely your cards are now not enabled to work for and at international txns/locations. This is due to some recent mandate from RBI where my banks (HDFC and ICICI) notified me of the same due to non-usage of the same in last six months.

Hence it is recommended to make sure they are enabled for the same with each bank.

Having said that, as recommended by most - get either a forex card (slightly expensive but limits your exposure) or use a CC (again with a set limit, defined by you). In case of CC - you can file a complaint and refuse to pay in case of a dispute.
sunilch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2021, 10:05   #4815
Senior - BHPian

Debit cards are dangerous. If stolen and used, your chances of recovering the money is very slim. So use credit cards only.

Regarding credit cards, most are enabled for International use. Again be wary, in case of loss the recovery of money depends on the issuing bank, so check the procedures involved in loss of card. It is best to get an insurance against loss of cards.

From my experience the least problematic card is American Express. They have no nonsense policy. My family has used Amex cards extensively, and there was never any problem. A friend lost her cards in Rome. Amex promptly delivered a new card the next day and cancelled all the expenses incurred by the thief. In contrast ICICI was mired in red tape and she lost on quite a number of transactions by the thief.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed