Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2021, 23:44   #4921
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalidiot View Post
Lately he hasn't been prompt on repaying back either. I was thinking if there is a way to block the payments without changing the card. And No, OTP is not being asked for the transactions on Apple - why doesn't the RBI rule kick in and work when you actually want it to.
Your “friend” is taking you for granted and using you. I would suggest blocking your card immediately and getting a new one. You will get the new one in 3-4 working days, just ensure you say no to your “friend”.

To the best of my knowledge there is no way to block your card on your friends Apple account exclusively without blocking the card completely. He would have to remove your card as a payment option from his Apple account for this to work. You have given him control of your card, it’s time to stop this misuse of your generosity.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 13th October 2021 at 23:45.
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 10:09   #4922
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Your “friend” is taking you for granted and using you. I would suggest blocking your card immediately and getting a new one. You will get the new one in 3-4 working days, just ensure you say no to your “friend”.

To the best of my knowledge there is no way to block your card on your friends Apple account exclusively without blocking the card completely. He would have to remove your card as a payment option from his Apple account for this to work. You have given him control of your card, it’s time to stop this misuse of your generosity.

Cheers
I concur.

The lure of free financing is addictive, especially for those low on funds.

If a friend is not honest enough, then you should cancel the card. I would also suggest to re-evaluate the friendship and slowly move away.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 10:19   #4923
BHPian

Looking for some expert advise on replacing my HDFC Diner's Club Black card.
Diner's club black while being a good card has acceptance issues in a lot of places. I am looking to replace it with a better card that will be fuss free.

Main requirements are good deals on travel, airfare, hotels and of course the usual lounge access, concierge etc.

Options considered so far -
  • HDFC Infinia
    Seems like a logical upgrade, seems to have most things I need and I have a good relation with HDFC. Only thing is how flexible are they to waive off the annual charges. What spend would they realistically expect? I spent around 5 lacs on the Diner's club last year and they were happy to waive off the annual charges.

• American Express Platinum
    Getting a few mixed views on this. The site says the annual charges are 60,000 Rs! Am I reading this correctly? The offerings on this card seem good but might be a bit excessive for my needs.

I do have a standard Citi Rewards card that's useful in some online sales and dining offers.

Would appreciate suggestions on these or any other cards I've missed out on. Thanks!
Old 14th October 2021, 12:43   #4924
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Your “friend” is taking you for granted and using you....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
If a friend is not honest enough, then you should cancel the card. I would also suggest to re-evaluate the friendship and slowly move away.
Thanks for the concern guys. I actually just wanted to see if there is any other way than replacing the card. If I have no other option, I'll probably block the card. I know if I ask him sternly for urgent funds, he would repay me but let's see how this goes as he has promised to settle everything with a month.

Quote:
The lure of free financing is addictive, especially for those low on funds.
I very well agree to this, I've stopped lending large amounts solely due to this reason. But me being naive still end up agreeing for small credits. Perhaps I need to read the book "The Art of Saying NO".
Old 14th October 2021, 14:32   #4925
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas_H View Post
Main requirements are good deals on travel, airfare, hotels and of course the usual lounge access, concierge etc.
Any Visa Infinite card will have you covered when it comes to foreign lounge access. Axis Vistara Infinite is good for travel and currently they have an offer where you can get first year free if you spend 1.2 lakh in 3 months. This offer is till October end. You can see the below link - https://www.cardexpert.in/axis-premi...signup-offers/

If you are not keen on paying, you can try for the IDFC Wealth card which is again Visa Infinite. Above 20,000 spend there is a 2.5% statement cashback and below 20,000 it is 1% so this is also a good card.

HDFC Infinia has a higher version coming called Galaxia which probably will have better benefits than existing Infinia so if you're fine paying the fee you can wait for that.
AZT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 14:34   #4926
BHPian

Quote:
  • HDFC Infinia
    Seems like a logical upgrade, seems to have most things I need and I have a good relation with HDFC. Only thing is how flexible are they to waive off the annual charges. What spend would they realistically expect? I spent around 5 lacs on the Diner's club last year and they were happy to waive off the annual charges.
Infinia : On the fee wavier, call up your relationship manager. Based on your profile, they may offer a LTF one.
whitewing is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 21:31   #4927
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
Any Visa Infinite card will have you covered when it comes to foreign lounge access.

HDFC Infinia has a higher version coming called Galaxia which probably will have better benefits than existing Infinia
Thanks for the suggestions and for the link. Galaxia sounds interesting will ask my HDFC RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
Infinia : On the fee wavier, call up your relationship manager. Based on your profile, they may offer a LTF one.
Yes will do. I've had a bad experience of getting verbal assurance when I got my diners club only to see an annual charge a year later which I had to fight to get reversed
Old 14th October 2021, 21:34   #4928
Senior - BHPian

I applied for a HDFC Regalia credit card today via this link. This states lifetime free offer for cards under various conditions.

Name:  HDFC OFFER.JPG
Views: 383
Size:  65.2 KB

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 392
Size:  53.4 KB

After completing my application I got this page as confirmation -

The Credit Card Thread-hdfc-offer1.jpg

The application reference number generated on this page is 12 characters. Please note I was not able to go to next page as it was blocked by pop up blocker and I lost it's link and was not able to find it again.

Now when I am tracking my application status via this link, I get option to enter my mobile number and any three out of DOB/Application reference number (here it is stated as 16 characters while I got only 12 character number in above page).

Although I am able to make in using combo of mobile number and DOB, I get this page and application number is different (and also of 16 characters) then what I got on my confirmation page (12 characters different number).

The application status says 'In Process'.

The Credit Card Thread-status.jpg

What is the ETA for HDFC credit card application approval? Is the above thing that I shared also experienced by some other team member? I hope nothing is fishy here as I uploaded my Aadhaar, pan card scan copies through above application link.
bluevolt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 21:39   #4929
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
What is the ETA for HDFC credit card application approval? Is the above thing that I shared also experienced by some other team member? I hope nothing is fishy here as I uploaded my Aadhaar, pan card scan copies through above application link.
Even I applied for Regalia 3 weeks back. Within a couple of days, I got a phone call that someone will visit to verify the KYC documents physically (needed if you don't have a HDFC account). After that no updates. Sent a couple of emails and they send this standard response that someone will visit and do the KYC. No idea how many days it is going to take.

Compared to this, applied for an ICICI card as a backup, and they completed a video KYC the very next day and have promised the card delivered within a week.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 22:12   #4930
BHPian

On 7th October I booked a hotel through Agoda.com, for stay on 15th and 16th Oct. I choose a slightly higher tariff to avail free cancellation, in case there is change in plan.
Quote:
Your booking is confirmed. 1 room(s) x 2 night(s) INR XX,400.00 Taxes extra. You will pay INR XX,400.00 to the property on your check-in date of Friday, October 15, 2021.
Cancellation Policy
Free Cancellation Until 14 Oct 11:59 PM IST
Non-Refundable From 15 Oct 12:00 AM IST
Please note that credit card details were provided during booking but no payment made.

Yesterday, 13th October the hotel attempted to debit an amount slightly more than half of the roof tarrif as shown in booking confirmation. I am not supposed to pay until I reach the hotel. In case of no show, they were to debit entire booking amount from my card.

Luckily for me I had misplaced the card and blocked it. This special previledge that hotels enjoy (PIN or OTP not required, they can just charge your card based on the detail you have already provided) is a bit dangerous. If they were successful in charging my card, and I cancel my booking (which I intend to, based on this experience), getting refund could possibly be a big hassle.
Old 16th October 2021, 00:42   #4931
BHPian

Quote:
Looking for some expert advise on replacing my HDFC Diner's Club Black card.
Diner's club black while being a good card has acceptance issues in a lot of places. I am looking to replace it with a better card that will be fuss free.

Options considered so far -
  • HDFC Infinia
  • American Express Platinum
    Getting a few mixed views on this. The site says the annual charges are 60,000 Rs! Am I reading this correctly? The offerings on this card seem good but might be a bit excessive for my needs.
Have both cards, can definitely provide some insights on those.

Wake me up in deep sleep a 100 times and ask me if I should take the Infinia for Rs. 10,000 Annual fee and I will Yes every time.

Couple of things though, the annual fee increases to 12,500 when the Metal Infinia gets launched. So get the Infinia before that and you will have the fee of Rs. 10,000 for the next three years. The criteria for upgrade is 8 Lacs Credit Limit on Existing HDFC Credit Card. If you have that, send an email to Grievance Redressal Team asking for upgrade.

HDFC will not waive of annual charges. They give 10,000 Reward Points instead. If you know how to use DCB well, you already know that Infinia is worth a lot more than Rs. 10,000. Have earned 3.6 Lacs Reward Points in less than 30 Months between DCB & Infinia (DCB upgrade to Infinia)

As for the Amex Platinum Charge Card, Amex is currently under RBI Ban. So you cant get one anyhow till the ban is lifted.

How good is the Amex Platinum Charge Card:

Its a Lifestyle Card. It is not in everybody's capacity to reap good rewards out of that card. But if u think you can do it, its a crazy card. Paid 60,000 + Taxes for the 1st year of its ownership (which ends on 27th October) and have earned tangible benefits of 2.4 Lacs. You can check the below tweet for the details:

https://twitter.com/tejasghongadi/st...62086274449408

You can good value out of this card, if you travel decently or can play with Airmiles & Hotel Loyalty Points using Amex MR points. If you are looking for cashbacks and discounts, this wont be the card for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
Any Visa Infinite card will have you covered when it comes to foreign lounge access. Axis Vistara Infinite is good for travel and currently they have an offer where you can get first year free if you spend 1.2 lakh in 3 months. This offer is till October end. You can see the below link - https://www.cardexpert.in/axis-premi...signup-offers/

If you are not keen on paying, you can try for the IDFC Wealth card which is again Visa Infinite. Above 20,000 spend there is a 2.5% statement cashback and below 20,000 it is 1% so this is also a good card.

HDFC Infinia has a higher version coming called Galaxia which probably will have better benefits than existing Infinia so if you're fine paying the fee you can wait for that.
Axis Vistara Infinite is overrated frankly. Axis Vistara Signature is better unless somebody wants to travel Business Class even in Domestic Flights. At Rs. 3000 Annual Fee, you get 4 Premium Economy Tickets + 12,000 CV (Two Economy Tickets equivalent) Points at 4.5 Lacs Spends.

2.5% is reward rate is actually very low for high spenders on credit cards. There are cards which easily give 7-8% after offsetting the annual fee. This is on travel redemption of course. If somebody wants to focus only on cashbacks / Statement credit, then the best combination to use is ICICI Amazon Pay + Axis Ace

HDFC Galaxia is still a while away. The Annual fee is expected to be 20K+ & the fee waiver also around 20+ Lacs. The Launch date isnt clear and the criteria for card upgrade too isnt clear. Same as Infinia, this too will be Invite only for the first couple of years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
On 7th October I booked a hotel through Agoda.com, for stay on 15th and 16th Oct. I choose a slightly higher tariff to avail free cancellation, in case there is change in plan.
Please note that credit card details were provided during booking but no payment made.

Yesterday, 13th October the hotel attempted to debit an amount slightly more than half of the roof tarrif as shown in booking confirmation. I am not supposed to pay until I reach the hotel. In case of no show, they were to debit entire booking amount from my card.

Luckily for me I had misplaced the card and blocked it. This special previledge that hotels enjoy (PIN or OTP not required, they can just charge your card based on the detail you have already provided) is a bit dangerous. If they were successful in charging my card, and I cancel my booking (which I intend to, based on this experience), getting refund could possibly be a big hassle.

Amex helps a lot in these situations. I always use my Amex to make such transactions. In case of any dispute, Amex works on the Cardholders side. The amount will be refunded to you and they will take up with the merchant for necessary clarifications.

Last edited by tejas08 : 16th October 2021 at 00:44.
tejas08 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 08:36   #4932
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions and for the link. Galaxia sounds interesting will ask my HDFC RM
Yes will do. I've had a bad experience of getting verbal assurance when I got my diners club only to see an annual charge a year later which I had to fight to get reversed
Do ask the RM to send a mail.
Do checkout the links https://apply.hdfcbank.com/vivid/ccuiux_new#CC-Login where the LTF free terms are listed.
Name:  summary.png
Views: 494
Size:  43.7 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas08 View Post
HDFC will not waive of annual charges.
Past few years I have an Infinia with no annual charges. Maybe there are some differences in the T&Cs from earlier to now? I'm sure I did not meet the spend criteria listed above.

@tejas08 do you know how to be tuned into offers like this? The reward conversion was on offer at 1RP=0.7rs!
https://offers.smartbuy.hdfcbank.com..._details/17925, kicking myself for missing out on this offer!
whitewing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 11:47   #4933
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Amex helps a lot in these situations. I always use my Amex to make such transactions. In case of any dispute, Amex works on the Cardholders side. The amount will be refunded to you and they will take up with the merchant for necessary clarifications.
Even I found that AMEX is very much on the card holder side (have it for over twenty years now) in case of any dispute. That is why merchants rarely pull such tricks if you use AMEX.

I have a Gold Air India (was Indian Airlines) charge card, and till the card was supported by AI, there were a lot of freebies every year. That and heavy discounts on Business Class tickets was what I enjoyed till I stopped travelling. My wife and I have travelled to Thailand by business class and stayed for 10 days in warious Accor hotels, all on points.

So an AMEX charge card is worth it only if you travel and stay in high end hotels a lot. If you do then the black charge card makes up for its annual fees very fast.

Last edited by Aroy : 16th October 2021 at 11:48.
Old 16th October 2021, 13:41   #4934
BHPian

Quote:
Have both cards, can definitely provide some insights on those.

Wake me up in deep sleep a 100 times and ask me if I should take the Infinia for Rs. 10,000 Annual fee and I will Yes every time.
After repeated recommendations I tried getting an Infinia. I ticked almost all boxes - Savings account with high AQB, Had a loan in the past with interest component crossing 10L, My current regalia credit limit is more than a million rupees, Income level 3 times the number quoted by the RM. Still I was told that I am not eligible for Infinia.

Sad that there is no other card which matches Infinia. My spending that can be channelised through credit card is very high and probably I can hit around 15L per year. Now that you have pointed the Grievance redressal route which I have done and waiting. And I would be using my Regalia for some time and would cross 5-6 L this FY. Even after this if I am not eligible for INFINIA, I would move my business out of HDFC at first opportunity.

Last edited by aadya : 16th October 2021 at 13:43.
aadya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 01:19   #4935
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Yesterday, 13th October the hotel attempted to debit an amount slightly more than half of the roof tarrif as shown in booking confirmation.
This is most likely not a debit but rather an amount blocked on the card as security. Your card company should be able to tell if otherwise.
Tourer is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed