Team-BHP - Hit by a rude Consultant
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Hit by a rude Consultant (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/92811-hit-rude-consultant.html)

Hi fellow BHPians,

I am one of the usual IT professionals who regularly uploads his resume on the famous job portals. And when I mean upload resume - I entrust them with confidential data about my whole life- My educational details, birth date, address, salary, educational details and what not. Hoping that some company or consultant finds it worth their next challenging requirement :Frustrati

I got a mail from a consultant which I have pasted below to which I responded in the following pasted mail and his reply follows. Removed sensitive data with XXX.

The mail

Quote:

Dear

Need Testing Trainer for XXXXXX

Work Location: Shanghai - CHINA.

*** MALE CANDIDATES ONLY ARE ELIGIBLE FOR THIS POSITION***

Candidates with Practical Work Experience will have an added advantage.

Pls decide/think 10times that you need to relocate to china and then send your profiles.Otherwise,if you have any doubt in Mind,pls do not waste your time as well as our time :-(

Looking for GUYS who can Join Immediately.

***NOTE: MALE CANDIDATES ONLY ARE ELIGIBLE FOR THIS POSITION***

Thanks!
XXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXX

------------------------------------------------------------

Mr XXXXXX - I dont think one can decide if he can relocate to china untill he knows the city, the package, the kind of contract the company asks for.

So if you think evaluating options is wasting time then you are already wasting everyones time by sending spam mails which can be reported to XXX (the job portal where he got my resume).

Regards,
XXXXXXX

--------------------------------------------------------

Pls do what ever you want.

You can not really blackmail.pls mind your own business.

Pls do not waste my time

BYE

--------------------------------------------------------

I wonder if the guy realizes he is wasting my time and exploiting me by sending mail to my personal mailbox.

Any thoughts?

:deadhorse

looks like a starter, may be a boy from early twenties,

A serious job site/consultant would not even think of such a rude reply to a prospect candidate.

Just ignore him.

for SPAM, you cannot do much as you already have done two way communication and if it was SPAM you should have reported it on original message.

I think you are wasting your time. You should respond only if you are interested.

In US this mail would be a candidate for a lawsuit unless they can prove job relevance of being male. Relocation to china sounds like a genuine requirement. He should have expressed it better though.

Move on.

So you got an impolite mail. You can spend the next few days antagonizing over how to make him a better correspondent or you can rest easy. Easy in the knowledge that with experience he would either become a better correspondent or change his job.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivekiny2k (Post 2155208)
I think you are wasting your time. You should respond only if you are interested.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bblost (Post 2155210)
Move on.

@Rasta - I somehow tend to agree with both the posts above.

IMO, the consultant clearly mentions...
Quote:

Pls decide/think 10times that you need to relocate to china and then send your profiles.Otherwise,if you have any doubt in Mind,pls do not waste your time as well as our time :-(
In that case, if you were really interested, then the question should've ideally been...

Quote:

Pls let me know which is the location that I should be looking forward to be working at
Just like you feel the consultant is rude, probably, probably, the consultant too could've been offended by your response. No one knows the other side of the story & that's the reason he too responded in the same manner.

PS - Did the original email carry the :-( symbol?

This is how one of the discussions went with my friend/colleague at the office:

friend: dude, the market is booming & I am getting around 10-15 mails every day regarding job openings
me: are you looking out for a change?

friend: nope not for the time being but down the line, but i would still like to get a hang of it
me: what hang?:confused:

friend: I will apply, will attend the telephonic & F2F discussion with few tier II companies to get myself prepared. Basically to figure out what the market is expecting..
me: Do you think you are being completely unprofessional here?

friend: nope!!!
me: You are wasting money, recruiters time, companies resources to get yourself. The recruitment consultant has every reason to get pissed off here, no wonder when we receive calls they try to emphasize the point again and again.

friend: everyone does it.
me: ...........:Frustrati

^^ I would rather apply, gain some interviewing experience and then say no if I am selected :)

Simple!!

And I don't see anything wrong in it. If there are openings out there one can definitely go check how he stands in the market as long as it is not an overkill. I dont get spared by sales reps even if I register myself on DND compared to that checking oneself in a free market is no crime!

Thank you all for your thoughts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aargee (Post 2155217)
Just like you feel the consultant is rude, probably, probably, the consultant too could've been offended by your response. No one knows the other side of the story & that's the reason he too responded in the same manner.

PS - Did the original email carry the :-( symbol?

Yes the :-( comes in the original mail. I clearly do NOT think The recruiter should be offended OR has the right to claim I was offensive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bblost (Post 2155210)
Move on.

So you got an impolite mail. You can spend the next few days antagonizing over how to make him a better correspondent or you can rest easy. Easy in the knowledge that with experience he would either become a better correspondent or change his job.

agree:
I am not at all spending the next few days fretting over the stupid mail. I clearly see the imaturity and unprofessional of the kiddo who is not trained on business etiquette by his employer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anilisanil (Post 2155274)
^^ I would rather apply, gain some interviewing experience and then say no if I am selected :)

Simple!!

And I don't see anything wrong in it. If there are openings out there one can definitely go check how he stands in the market as long as it is not an overkill. I dont get spared by sales reps even if I register myself on DND compared to that checking oneself in a free market is no crime!

That was a good one clap:

But to all -

It was okay till he sent a mail with a requirement but I really felt pissed off to hear that he requests not to waste his time.
Now come on he too wasted my time reading/deleting laughing at his mail.

Isn't it time that the job portals make stringent rules on sharing my confidential data. Should they not focus on more customer orientation by focusing on right candidate - right requirement match.

I really feel something is amiss and the whole data is being mismanaged. Anyone can bring a bucket and fetch data from their well full of profiles. Nothing relevant- just chaos just like all the other systems prevailing.

I sent this to the job portal to bring it to their notice about the incident.
As expected got a template answer to block the recruiter and
they will look into it clap:

@ Rastapops >
I feel I just wasted my time... I dont understand the relevance of this thread ..what to do!! :rules::uncontrol

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rastapopoulos (Post 2155329)
It was okay till he sent a mail with a requirement but I really felt pissed off to hear that he requests not to waste his time.

Isn't it time that the job portals make stringent rules on sharing my confidential data. Should they not focus on more customer orientation by focusing on right candidate - right requirement match.

I really feel something is amiss and the whole data is being mismanaged. Anyone can bring a bucket and fetch data from their well full of profiles. Nothing relevant- just chaos just like all the other systems prevailing.

I sent this to the job portal to bring it to their notice about the incident.
As expected got a template answer to block the recruiter and
they will look into it clap:

You are expecting a bit too much.

If you provide your personal details and sensitive data to the job portal then you can't blame the provider for using it.

I personally never would use these means to look for a job. Neither to apply nor as it is in my case employ someone.

The internet is not a means to all end.

And you should have spotted from a mile away that this is not a job opportunity anyone with common sense would bother to look at.

I have had some experience with recruiting consultants.

A new entrant in the business needs a lot of CV to convince the client that they are hot shots. These type of ads are placed more to populate their data bank than to recruit. The rudeness may be deliberate, so that you no not proceed further and uncover the operation!

A male only requirement is not new. Peruse the ads for middle east positions, especially Saudi Arabia, and barring those for management positions most are male only.

Regarding applying and appearing for interviews, it is an age old game, where candidates attend interviews for as diverse reasons as experiencing new city at recruiters expense to just evaluate their market worth. The recruiters know it and bear with it, as they may get lucky and convince a good candidate to switch sides.

Quote:

Yes the :-( comes in the original mail. I clearly do NOT think The recruiter should be offended OR has the right to claim I was offensive.

A smiley in the email is something that I wouldn't expect; but at the same time, how do you know the recruiter was not offended? Have you spoken to them? Personally, if I were to get an email like what you'd sent, trust me, I feel offended, but I would never reply back. But that's me, not everyone's like me right?

Quote:

C'mon, he's stating it clearly not to waste his time. Think about this, I feel your email is stating what I should be doing & not. Again, I might express my view, but it shouldn't offend you either. So I'm simply not stating anything further. Sry about that.

Quote:

See, if you're only concerned about time wastage, you'd mentioned it first on your email & then they followed it next. Like I said before, if you were interested, the email should've been sth like...

"I'm interested with this opportunity as working in China is something not everyone gets; I'd like to make use of this opportunity, but would like to know which location I would be travelling to"

Try the above next time from a different email ID & I'm sure you're going to get an excellent response.

Quote:

Isn't it time that the job portals...requirement match.

What's confidential data I don't understand. Your name, DOB, educational qualification, work experience, contact? But then, how would the recruiters know if the candidate has the skillset they're looking for?

Quote:

I really feel something is amiss and...just chaos just like all the other systems prevailing.

lol: just venting out your frustration

PS - You've used 3 smiley in your post against the forum rules of 2 per post

^^ wow aargee, NOM, but do you have a software to make those multi quotes? Really I wonder if it is really worth for me to reply anything at all on this and you compiled so long a post with so many (hopefully not) manually compiled multiquotes!! bravo bro! way to go!

Chill Rastapopoulos (nice handle, Tintin was my favourite too !), I am actually surprised this busy consultant even took time off to post his reply to you, if he was supposed be so busy in the first place !

@Anil, to multiquote like aargee all you have to do is to copy and paste the "[quote no. xxxxxxxxxxxx]" at the beginning and "[quote]" at the end of the selected sentence !

To the OP, sorry for the OT :D

Thanks everybody for all the views you shared. I guess I was a bit too pissed off about someone sending a mil to my mailbox + asking not to waste his time. I still think it was a very rude and inappropriate choice of words.

@ Argee About my resply - Yes I did intend to be offensive but I dont think he has the right to be offended after the kind of email he writes. He got what he gave so he shouldnt complain.

I still feel it is confidential data which I share with Job portals- the DOB, Postal address, Complete name and stuff is really sensitive information. I am sure I need not write more on this.
The context was If I am sharing such confidential data with a job portal they should atleast ensure it is being accessed by some sensible people. I think its too open and any tom/dick can access it. Yeah frustrating , it is.