Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Is Indian media biased or unethical?
Yes 116 93.55%
No 8 6.45%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2010, 17:36   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbkr1212 View Post

In the cricket betting scandal (Azhar-Hansie-Jadeja), one of the best sports journalists in India who worked for Hindu was also involved. Never saw his columns after that. His articles were like poems, pleasure to read.
He had to quit The Hindu
I am intrigued by this. Was it R.Mohan? His articles were indeed very good to read and I was always at a loss why he quit Hindu?

It certainly is not Nirmal Shekar as someone mentioned as he is still writing in the Hindu.
Old 1st December 2010, 17:52   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
Every tv news channel here is pretty much like FOX News; as in everything is overhyped and spun until you are blue in the face. I'd rather watch the BBC or CNN. I think any day now some of these news anchors will get their own shows within the channel a la fox news, msnbc, etc. As someone who has lived in India for the past 5 years, it sickens me that people don't even want to change the system. But then again guess when you have your fancy tv, nice big house, nice car, etc...who really cares as long as they are rich and well off. how do these same politicians year after year keep getting elected? Hey, at least in the US we do "throw the bums out" after some time. The main problem I see here in this country is that the vast majority of people lack basic respect and manners, in regards to themselves, others, and their surrounding environment. The politicians elected here, the scandals that happen, and the news channels themselves, are a reflection of that. Talking about it here on teambhp isn't going go help the situation untill someone takes a stand and says something against all of this.
You have all the right to criticize Indians and their systems.
But don't forget that it was Americans who elected war monger Bush twice. It took 8 yrs for Americans to realize that he had to be thrown out. And who knows, next one would be Ms.Palin. That will be the joke of the century.
CNN/BBC? How objective are these channels on West Asia conflict? They cannot be since Americans even in their wildest dreams can't rub the Israelis in wrong way for reasons known to all and sundry. So let us keep the quality aspect of those channels also aside.

And America too has a "rich" history of scandals. Do we even need to get into that? Since Indians blindly follow Americans on all bad things (not on good things like basic manners etc. I am fully with you on that. We are rude,crude and whatever adjectives one can think of to qualify our behavior) we are trying to catch up with you on scandals too

Now the latest is that Interpol has issued a warrant against Wikileaks founder for rape charges. (Needless to say, at the behest of Big Apple)
Poor guy. What did he do? He exposed Americans double standards, that's it. Rape charges are right, if he is framed for raping America's establishment left, right and centre.

This is what you call freedom of speech in America. If that's the case India and America and for that matter all democratic countries work in the same way. Freedom of speech is good, as far as establishment and higher ups are not attacked or exposed.

Well, story of life is almost same everywhere. Some do it in a crass and crude way, some do it in ultra-sophisticated manner.

End result is common man is made a fool by these politicians, irrespective of party, religion or nationality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRRaj View Post
I am intrigued by this. Was it R.Mohan? His articles were indeed very good to read and I was always at a loss why he quit Hindu?

It certainly is not Nirmal Shekar as someone mentioned as he is still writing in the Hindu.

Nirmal Shekhar used to cover mostly tennis and other sports when R.Mohan was around.
R.Mohan had a monopoly on cricket coverage in The Hindu and one must say he was a fantastic writer.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 1st December 2010 at 22:14. Reason: please read the note in your post, thanks
Old 1st December 2010, 18:51   #33
BHPian

@bkbkr: well at least someone agrees with me on the basic manners part. As for bush, well people were stupid...twice..unfortunately. I highly doubt Palin would win though. Anways I voted for Obama and Kerry so don't lump me with the rest of the people who voted for Bush. As for wikileaks, well diplomacy and foreign relations is dirty, what can I say. Btw a lot of those cables need to be put in greater context, etc. It's good that the media here is blowing the lid off all these scandals but what is the jaanta going to do about it? At most they will care for 5 mins and get back to something else. it's funny to see the panel disscussions on these channels, especially that guy on TimesNow. He's like the Glen Beck of India . I think the channels need to tone it down a bit and stop shouting so much! Lol. As for CNN, the American parent channel is biased but the International channel is more to the center on things.
Old 1st December 2010, 19:36   #34
Senior - BHPian

@bkbkr1212,CaliAtenza, can we stop digressing from the topic towards America or America's way of life? How does that matter here? I would request you people to stop taking away the discussion towards America unless it's absolutely needed.

Anyway, what appalled me was the absolute silence and a virtual blackout about this news at the media. Barkha or Vir might be part of the media and big names, but that doesn't give them cover to do anything they wish and the media turns a blind eye everytime they do it. It's really shameful of what they have done and it was pretty evident when one listens to the tapes that these journos were not after story but was actually working as messenger of the power playing game that was being played during that time. I also watched the program on NDTV yesterday and I must say that Barkha looked worried and she tried every antic of hers to divert the debate towards media ethics. She could never answer the questions that was raised and her saying that she was just acting a journalist to get a story appeared to be a white lie. Atleast that's what appeared to me after watching the program and listening to the taped conversations. This whole episode is really shameful and as they always demands others to resign after such scams break out, they also should follow suit and resign.
Old 1st December 2010, 21:23   #35
BHPian

All: Thanks a lot for participating in this discussion.

I used watch pranoy roy's world this week and election analysis programs before NDTV was started. I had a lot of respect for him. I grew up idolizing him. But he let go barkha without punishing her scandal after scandal. She was responcible for deaths of soldiers and hostages in the past. What she did now is nothing when compared to what she did in the past. But I am sure she would keep her job. Blame Barkha and blame pranoy roy too for letting her keep her job.

CaliAtenza, bkbkr1212: Be it US or India the problem is people who vote with their religion or caste. One example: I am from hyderabad and from the time when I was a kid to now hyderabad florished very well. But there is one area, old city which got stuck in it's past. Why? people vote based on religion and that person who got elected did nothing for the city even though he and his father were serving that place ever since independence. Same problem exists in us too. In india political parties use the devide and rule policy to good effect to rule. Reservations are one good example here.

Be it politicians, news anchors or sports persons, it's the people who let them get away. And it's the people who suffer eventually.

Can any one point me to a good indian political forum.
Old 1st December 2010, 22:03   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbender View Post
Can any one point me to a good indian political forum.
Bharat Rakshak • Index page

2g, radia tapes here -> Bharat Rakshak • View topic - Two-G (2G) Spectrum Scam Tapes and follow-up
Old 1st December 2010, 22:31   #37
BHPian

Thanks a ton, Krish.
Old 1st December 2010, 22:32   #38
BHPian

Have you read about " Copy Paste "
Read this article in Slate about a editorial in India Today
My Slate article on Rajinikanth was plagiarized by India Today. - By Grady Hendrix - Slate Magazine

Old 1st December 2010, 23:30   #39
Senior - BHPian

If you have watched Barkas show on NDTV where she was facing the qs for a change she used all the tactics from yes minister.

Watch this video from 3.25 onwards if you are short of time or watch the entire video as its one of the best shows. Gives you tips how to face interviews when you are cornered.
Old 2nd December 2010, 02:23   #40
BHPian

@Kaushik_S: I'm only bringing up America because all these news channels sound like Fox News, but only worse...
Old 2nd December 2010, 03:28   #41
Senior - BHPian

Man I am sorry but I could not , I repeat, could not stop laughing after this again.

Seriously man, these people, be it India or anywhere, take viewers for fools ?

EDIT: Before anyone screams why are we pulling my favourite country in this thread heres how we
are keeping the fear alive in our country:

BS generated there, rots here. Thats why it matters on this thread.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 2nd December 2010 at 03:44.
Old 2nd December 2010, 09:03   #42
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbkr1212 View Post
In the cricket betting scandal (Azhar-Hansie-Jadeja), one of the best sports journalists in India who worked for Hindu was also involved. Never saw his columns after that. His articles were like poems, pleasure to read.
He had to quit The Hindu
Are you talking about Raju Bharatan? If you are, I have to disagree with you. His writing style was garbage. I used to get headaches when I read his rhyming articles which made no sense whatsoever.
Old 2nd December 2010, 10:59   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
@bkbkr: well at least someone agrees with me on the basic manners part. As for bush, well people were stupid...twice..unfortunately. I highly doubt Palin would win though. Anways I voted for Obama and Kerry so don't lump me with the rest of the people who voted for Bush. As for wikileaks, well diplomacy and foreign relations is dirty, what can I say. Btw a lot of those cables need to be put in greater context, etc. It's good that the media here is blowing the lid off all these scandals but what is the jaanta going to do about it? At most they will care for 5 mins and get back to something else. it's funny to see the panel disscussions on these channels, especially that guy on TimesNow. He's like the Glen Beck of India . I think the channels need to tone it down a bit and stop shouting so much! Lol. As for CNN, the American parent channel is biased but the International channel is more to the center on things.
You are absolutely right Sir!!! Seriously man, when I watch Mr.Aranab on TimesNow at 9 pm , I feel ashamed of India. And he is one example of what you said, no respect for panelists, shouts(or barks) at them, insults them and what not.
I sometimes get the feeling that Times Now must be paying their guests to put up with him for 15-30 mts. Since most of those who come on his channel are politicians, they are thick-skinned enough to tolerate his verbal diarrhea. It will be like a slight ant bite for them.

He is concerned apparently for everything. I am sure that one day we will hear a story about how seriously he is concerned for some Pakistan minister's pussy or dog pissing on the road. He will make a news out of how pets and in turn people there have no pet-manners

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Are you talking about Raju Bharatan? If you are, I have to disagree with you. His writing style was garbage. I used to get headaches when I read his rhyming articles which made no sense whatsoever.
Raju Bharathan, naa...
Anyway, liking or disliking a particular style of writing is purely personal.
Old 2nd December 2010, 11:19   #44
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Many of our Media Persons are simply "highly opinionated sensation seekers"

1. Barkha Madam tops the list in being probably the most irritating creature to be visible on TV
2. Uncle Arnab - opinionated, irritating and loud voiced to boot
3. Shreen Bhan - outshouts the person she is supposed to be interviewing
4. Vikram Chandra - indecisive, gutless fence-sitter
5. Rajdeep - any minute now he will leap at the TV screen and probably end up in my living room!
6. Sagarika - the less said the better. For her next birthday perhaps we should buy her a muzzle.
7. Karan Thapar - good god what is the man thinking or is he at all capable of proper thought?
8. Vir Sanghvi - amongst the most "affected, contrived, arriviste types" that I have ever had the displeasure of watching.
9. Shobhaa (+aaaa) De - what qualifies her to expound her opinions on everything under the sun id like to know?
10. Bachi Karkaria and Jug Suraiya - I think it is about time they retired gracefully instead of subjecting us to some incredibly bad puns and incredibly contrived humour - sad to see them plug away and keep trying to fight a losing battle with their own senility.

Forget the rest of them except maybe Senthil Chengalvarayan and his ilk - they have a certain "dignity" and "gravitas" - which I like and respect!

In todays scene very few of these presenters/ media people are above the eternal TRP race.

Prannoy Roy is still classy.

Not so his protege's.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 2nd December 2010 at 11:25.
Old 2nd December 2010, 11:28   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Prannoy Roy is still classy.
That is like saying MMS is above corruption. I disagree.
Though they themselves don't involve, they pretty much over see all these crap gets going in their respective domain.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks