Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2010, 13:30   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanju.iitm View Post
I had heard these kind of situations are quite often in north india but I was surpised to see this in my hometown.
You have only heard not experienced at North. Here you have experienced. Incidentally I belong to North and never faced such situation in my numerous train journeys to different parts of North but in South I felt it is quite common.

Once, I was going to Nagpur through Sampark Kranti Exp from Yeshwantpur, I had harrowing experience till the first stop of Sampark Kranti.

These days traveling with Sleeper bogey reservation is not advisable. Atleast go for AC 3 Tier and that too going to get worse.
Old 1st December 2010, 13:32   #17
MCR
BHPian

This used to be very common on Bangalore-Mysore sector, When I used to travel by train to Bangalore in 2003-2004. I guess it would have only worsened considering the Bus fares. Now I prefer travelling by Volvo or my own car. Even ordinary buses are crowded on Sunday evenings, but Volvos are easily available.
Old 1st December 2010, 13:35   #18
Senior - BHPian

@Sanjeev - Not surprised at all; I'm fed up of these since 2003!!! Yes you read it right - 2003.

We once had a bunch of blokes on our sleeper compartment in Alleppey Exp & were carrying small drum kind of musical instruments & were singing sounds aloud. All of them boarded at Chennai central & got down at Arakkonam or Jolarpettai. Until then we were forced with live music!!!

From that day I decided, no more sleeper class; from that day until 2 years ago, I was regular with 3rd A/C; trouble started through immatured posers who imitate US+Indian life style here; dressed up well, but no public manners. Now I either prefer 2nd A/C or mostly drive upto 1000-1500 Kms a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjacob View Post
My cousin had a similar experience...handling this sort of conflict situations.
Give my kudos to him; I'll do the same if my complaints fall into deaf ears of TC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
From palakad people get into the coach and sit right next to you as if they have reserved it.
+1; especially with Alleppey exp & that's why we switched over to TVM mail these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
The most irritating thing is that it happend even in 3rd AC ,when i travelled last month.
Ok, so its good that I switched over to 2nd A/C & driving these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
When my uncle asked them...don't tell me about my floor. - A crass translation.
Atrocious!!! They should be tied & dragged behind the train!!! Not even thrown out of running train!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
p.s. Aargee. Graffitti is a national phenomena. I graciously agree. So don't keep putting off that trip to Pune.
so you don't miss a single opportunity huh!!! Wait, let my Rx come upto the mark

PS - Has anyone travelled by train through Bihar? I'd love their experiences to be shared here
Old 1st December 2010, 13:44   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
In the OP's case, since the journey gets over by 6:15PM, having a sleeper reservation is pointless. In fact, i am surprised this train has sleeper coaches!
The origin place is Mysore and it ends somewhere in TN (total journey time is more than 12hrs), so there are sleeper coaches in the train. May be berths are used only in night, but if we see there will be only 8 passangers (including SL/SU) who can sit (during day) and sleep (during night) in one set of berts/cabin and not more than that. So whether one wish to sit and travel or sleep on one's berth (only if co-passanger is fine in case of LB,MB/SL) should be our choice not allwoing unreserved ppl join us.

If it is a passanger train then it's fine (can take it for granted), but got surprised since it is an express train.
Old 1st December 2010, 13:52   #20
BHPian

With regard to Mysore, if you are an young north Indian person travelling in Mysore in areas like VVMohalla, Vontikoppal, Vijay Nagar , people automatically assume that he is working for Infy. The problem is Mysore is a small city with very few IT companies (L&T and SPI along with Infy) with Infy having its training center there means people from all part of India come there. Now these trainees being new are getting their first salary which is more than enough for their regular expenses. So they like to splurge which gives them the impression that all Infy people earn more than they need and are crore-pathis.
Old 1st December 2010, 14:15   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Sleeper reservations dont take effect until its night time, even in AC coaches and yes, even in the South....
In the OP's case, since the journey gets over by 6:15PM, having a sleeper reservation is pointless. In fact, i am surprised this train has sleeper coaches!
I am not sure of the information but somebody told me there is no reservation between Bangalore & Mysore stretch in trains that go beyond Bangalore. But I don't know if this information is correct. There are 2 chair-cars trains between Bangalore & Mysore - Tippu & Chamundi. They have reserve compartments. TT is always present and always checks the ticket.
Old 1st December 2010, 14:17   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Has anyone travelled by train through Bihar? I'd love their experiences to be shared here
I once travelled to Ranchi in the year 1995 in my highschool (8th std) to attend a "NCC National Level Trekking Expedition" and were supposed to go via Madras (called at that time) to catch Alleppey-Bokaro exp. I was in a team representing my state and few from TN and also few from other states. So there were around 50guys travelling from Perambur to Ranchi. A funny incident happened at that time-When the train reached perambur rly stn our NCC unit officer searched for the coach where our berths were allocated and to the surprise the coach was missing. I swear, the station master came and informed our officer that a special coach was supposed to be attached at Alleppey but somehow they didn't so the train has come without our coach. I exactly dnt remeber how our officer fought with railway ppl but we were allotted a single berth for 3 cadets either they sleep on one other or sit for 3 days it's left to them.

Again by mistake I was allotted some other coach and as train started, the TC asked me to go to other coach and surprisingly the coaches in that train didn't had an internal door/links to next coach. So I got down at the next stn at 1am and had to run till my coach and unfortunately the train started moving. I had 3 luggages in hand and finally a TC of my coach gave his hand to pull me inside the train. Looks very filmy but it is a true incident.

After returning from camp we got to hear that railway had apologised our NCC unit and had refunded some money. However now if I recall that incident and really get scared.

I dnt think anybody in our group had this kind of exp?
Old 1st December 2010, 14:20   #23
Senior - BHPian

I had exactly similar experience from Mysore to Bangalore last April'2010, but in Mysore-Tirupati passenger, except that no one asked me where i work ! It was really horrible experience, and I too tried to fight for my right of berth/seat. After some thinking, i later realised there is no use we fight for our right in middle of uncivilised people. Ultimately we look like fools in front of everybody, though we are right from ourside. Whats the point !

I am a frequent traveler in both Mailaduthurai express and Tirupati passenger and this problem happens only between Mysore to Bangalore. After bangalore, in these trains there is no major encroachment but always one or two people used to keep standing near toilets till the TC arrives. They bribe them and get a berth someway, making an RAC passenger fool again !

In every day time trains, whether it is express or passenger, north or south, doesn't matter, reservation coaches are as good as unreserved coaches. In few trains, you get your reserver berth/seat, in few you don't. Thats the only difference. A/c coaches are bit better.

In anycase, it is really NOT advisable to travel by train between Mysore-Bangalore.

I wonder where the higher authorities really know this problems (i guess so) and still keeping quiet! Even the Ticket checkers/policemen are not acting, and it is obviously they are hand-in-gloves to share the money.

Oops, enough of expressing my frustrations ! Need a strong tea for some relaxation

-Ravi
Old 1st December 2010, 14:26   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
I am not sure of the information but somebody told me there is no reservation between Bangalore & Mysore stretch in trains that go beyond Bangalore. But I don't know if this information is correct. There are 2 chair-cars trains between Bangalore & Mysore - Tippu & Chamundi. They have reserve compartments. TT is always present and always checks the ticket.
This information is incorrect. People told me the same story and i don't buy it, as it is told only for their convenience and to violate law. A ticket can be reserved for any distance above 60 kms. That is why the ticket was reserved between Mysore and bangalore and there is a so called reservation coach ( though only in papers ! )

-Ravi
Old 1st December 2010, 14:27   #25
BHPian

This particular incident is not a surprise at all. Happens all the time. For a year or so, i did this route (BLR-MYS) mainly on trains. All trains between these 2 stations are overcrowded. And this one in particular is a joke! You are in fact lucky to have found a seat on your berth. Volvo buses are 5 times as expensive as the trains and hence this becomes a natural choice for the masses. Just got to LIVE WITH IT
Old 1st December 2010, 14:32   #26
Senior - BHPian

Found some information on Indiamike

Quote:
There is one peculiar/bizzare practice seen in train departing Mysore during afternoon and late evening. Most of these trains are long-distance and overnight trains. These trains gets filled up only in Bangalore. So, its a common scene on such trains that the unreserved coaches are brimming with people traveling b/w Mysore and Bangalore, and the sleeper coaches are mostly empty.

One can legally take coaches S5 and S5 in the Mailaduturai express (leaving Mysore at 3:45PM) and the TC (usually) collects Rs.15 as current booking charges. I'm not sure whether these two coaches are de-reserved or not. If you sit in other sleeper coaches (S1-S4), you'd be charged at Rs.120+current booking charges when the TC arrives.

On normal days, when there isn't too much of a crowd, the TC announces that one need to pay extra and urges people who are not willing to pay, to move out. But Sundays and other days, when there is a crowd, people will simply spill over into these coaches and TCs don't even turn-up.

Thanks,
The mad rush is due train (express) fare is less than half the cost of cheapest bus fare. And for passenger train is close to quarter of bus fare.
Old 1st December 2010, 14:54   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Found some information on Indiamike
One can legally take coaches S5 and S5 in the Mailaduturai express (leaving Mysore at 3:45PM) and the TC (usually) collects Rs.15 as current booking charges. I'm not sure whether these two coaches are de-reserved or not. If you sit in other sleeper coaches (S1-S4), you'd be charged at Rs.120+current booking charges when the TC arrives.
If I recall properly then my my wife (even she used travel b/w these 2 cities few yrs back) warned me to sit only in coach from S1-S4 since other coaches will be occupied by unreserved ppl. I did booking through irctc and I was allotted to S7 by fate. So I had no choice, but I kept on thinking if my wife is true then why still railway keep S7 as reserved? but finally she was right I think.

Anyway I will travel by Airavath or else by 3AC incase if I am not driving. Sometimes it becomes too hectic to drive from Mys to Blr (especially while crossing Mandya,C'patna and Ramnagar) if one starts on sunday evening. Two weeks back I took Volvo and started at 4.30pm from Mys and it reached Kengeri at 7.15pm,nearly 3hrs. Traffic was horrible.
Old 1st December 2010, 15:01   #28
BHPian

I was travelling from Vijayawada to Bangalore recently by Sleeper and i faced a similar situation. When the train reached Bangarpet, it became a passenger train and everyone boarded the reserved compartments and sat wherever they could find places. What was even more amazing was that I was sleeping on my berth when one guy came and woke me up and sat beside me on my berth .
Old 1st December 2010, 15:06   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
PS - Has anyone travelled by train through Bihar? I'd love their experiences to be shared here
There is no issue either in Bihar or Jharkhand and I travelled a lot in both the states in almost all lines. I must admit, there is small problem between Gaya - Patna / Patna - Mokama section and that too because of daily passengers (Max journey time: 2 hours). They just share your berth and ample space for you to sit. In almost all states daily passenger travel to bigger cities to nearby places. In all states I can see they have permit (Unofficial) to travel in any coach of train.

I believe you just go and experience yourself, it is not like staying far away and commenting.
Old 1st December 2010, 15:07   #30
Senior - BHPian

It is the same case with trains in Kerala where the sleeper coaches are open for general passengers during day time. If am travelling within Kerala by train, I always take up a sleeper ticket get on the 3A coach / 2A coach pay the TC the additional fare and sit in peace. I think similarly the stretch between Mysore - Bangalore must be de-reserved if I may use the term.

What is actually worse is when you travel in Chair Car by trains like Brindavan / Lalbagh which are fully reserved trains you have people coming and asking you to adjust so that 4 can sit in a seat for 3.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks