Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2005, 14:56   #1
BHPian

Are you guilty of backseat driving?

This Sunday, we (my wife and me) were driving back home from Big Bazar on Solapur road in Pune. I was driving peacefully. Being Sunday, there was less traffic on the roads.

Anybody familiar with Pune will know that on Wednesdays and Sundays there's a 'purana-bazar' near Maaldhakka chowk. This causes some traffic congestion at times because oncoming traffic also has to use the same side of the road as you. I was deftly navigating through the mass of people, cycles and oncoming vehicles. Now, when I was doing this, an Auto fellow suddenly decided to get going (he was parked on the side of the road). As is the auto-wallahs' wont, he tried to merge into the traffic without looking behind. I had anticipated this move of his and had my hand pinned on the horn to warn him to let me through first.

Buttttttt (sorry GTO, using your TM. but the situation demands it), in the split second before I honk, my wife does some shouting at me of her own!!! "Why can't you see that the autowallah is coming at you from the side???", she says. "You need to be more careful, how you drive. You're going to scratch the car badly one day.", she adds. Needless to say, this sends me through the roof. I mean, I understand her concern for the car, but I know how to drive for Pete's sake!!! I got so pissed that in a frenzy I almost bumped into an oncoming scooter. Thank God that that did not happen. Otherwise there would have been another bout of manicured finger wagging and raised shapely eyebrows. Bah!

Though this is but just one such incident, this kind of backseat driving keeps happening all the time. It puts me off. Really. I, for myself, can vouch that I never comment on how other people drive, when they are driving.

Many of the forum members may have experienced this unwanted dissemination of driving advice. Or may even be guilty as charged! If you ARE guilty, watchout, you may force the driver to take a mis-step!
Old 20th December 2005, 15:07   #2
BHPian

I agree there is always a time and place for comments but there are always exceptions. I cannot stand back seat driving either but
I think the passengers are allowed to yell "watch out" if they notice someone or something that may get in the path of the vehicle and they think the driver hasnt noticed. If the driver has already responded then not a big deal else they have helped prevent an accident.

Also I feel comments on the driving style should be non judgemental postive criticism if at all instead of negative piss people off type criticism. Mistakes should be pointed out if there is a chance of damage to life/limb or vehicle :-). For example if in a car with a newbie driver who is making mistakes one has to gently correct them in such a manner that they understand the correct approach to doing something rather than just pointing out their ignorance.
Old 20th December 2005, 15:12   #3
BHPian

lol camry

My mom does the backseat thing often when she is in my car (as in gasps, comments etc) when some truck or somthing is headed towards me on the "other side" of the road about 100 feet from me....its irritating to say the least.

But I myself am guilty of "front passenger seat" driving sometimes when novices are driving ;-)
Old 20th December 2005, 15:18   #4
BHPian

Quote:
or example if in a car with a newbie driver who is making mistakes one has to gently correct them in such a manner that they understand the correct approach to doing something rather than just pointing out their ignorance.
Tell me about it! My wife has completely refused to drive with me in the car as I get kindda jumpy when she is driving and try to correct her without realizing that what she is doing could work too.
Old 20th December 2005, 15:31   #5
BHPian

I am pretty patient with other people driving as long as it is not my cars :-) . I can even sit quietly then but if it is my car being driven ...I cannot keep quiet. I have had to tell my dad numerous times to shift up or down as I cannot bear to think of what is happenning to the engine even though compared to the number of years he has driven a car is greater than my age ...there are some good practices that he still didnt learn. I never used to know differently/bother when he drove cars he purchased (back then there was no team-bhp) but nowadays witht he additional gyan I have to correct him.
Old 20th December 2005, 15:36   #6
Team-BHP Support

Welcome to married life
Old 20th December 2005, 15:41   #7
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

back seat driving or front passengers seat driving is a bit distracting and nerve-racking at times ???
if thats true,someone pls tell Mr.v1p3r to stop yelling in my ears ..need to concentrate more on making him to stop yelling so that i can concentrate on the road..
PS: he is a roaring lion in the drivers seat and a pussy in a passengers..now isnt that two extremes of a FELINE..

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 20th December 2005 at 15:45.
Old 20th December 2005, 16:01   #8
Senior - BHPian

since my wife is a novice driver, i can also be accused of back seat driving. but i have been a victim at my uncle's/father's hands most of the time :( . the worst part is when they keep yelling "dekho....is coming". i mean, do i drive blindfolded? now that i have grown up, it's a thing od past.

thankfully my wife doesn't command much on cars and driving, so no yellings heading my way.
Old 20th December 2005, 19:35   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by camry93
Though this is but just one such incident, this kind of backseat driving keeps happening all the time. It puts me off. Really. I, for myself, can vouch that I never comment on how other people drive, when they are driving.
if you get distracted by other people talking then may be you should try to concentrate more on driving
Old 20th December 2005, 20:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

Well, with our kinda driving people ought to get a little sweaty being passengers but my principle always works " Let them keep screaming, Im gonna drive the way I always did"!!! Works for me, passengers fall shut after some time ...
Old 20th December 2005, 20:32   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

If its about highway driving and i m alone or with friends then it has be speedy and asz kicking. But if i am with family it has to be a decent driving no more than 140 kmph. Because family first everything else can wait.

And in city i drive very clam and easy with no tension until and unless some one makes me hell angry.

And regarding the comments we all have to just listen to them and say ok, fine or ya i understand... I mean whats the use of fighting with your family members who will never understand that we are king of roads and know what we are doing. So be polite and calm and keep your family happy.

Happy Driving!!!

Last edited by abhibh : 20th December 2005 at 20:35.
Old 21st December 2005, 18:11   #12
Senior - BHPian

well - im not guilty of backseat driving but my better half is always telling me - "U HAVE BECOME A SLOWCOACH THESE DAYS - DRIVE FASTER MAAN"
Old 21st December 2005, 19:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian
I agree there is always a time and place for comments but there are always exceptions. I cannot stand back seat driving either but
I think the passengers are allowed to yell "watch out" if they notice someone or something that may get in the path of the vehicle and they think the driver hasnt noticed. If the driver has already responded then not a big deal else they have helped prevent an accident.

Also I feel comments on the driving style should be non judgemental postive criticism if at all instead of negative piss people off type criticism. Mistakes should be pointed out if there is a chance of damage to life/limb or vehicle :-). For example if in a car with a newbie driver who is making mistakes one has to gently correct them in such a manner that they understand the correct approach to doing something rather than just pointing out their ignorance.
Hey Dude.....are you married?
Old 21st December 2005, 20:17   #14
Senior - BHPian

I am probably *the only one* on this forum, who never faces backseat driving and is constantly guilty of doing it myself, when my brother is driving.
Old 21st December 2005, 21:18   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
well - im not guilty of backseat driving but my better half is always telling me - "U HAVE BECOME A SLOWCOACH THESE DAYS - DRIVE FASTER MAAN"
kya N_C ekdum palti maara abhi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks