Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2010, 09:40   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Home Improvement - Waterproofing Your Roof

Thank you gentlemen. I have good base to start off.
Old 21st December 2010, 13:08   #17
BHPian

Re: Home Improvement - Waterproofing Your Roof - stage 3

Some more updates..

In the last post we had completed laying the initial grouting layer over the slab and had allowed it to dry.

the next step was to lay the brick bat layer on a mixture of sand, cement and URP compound and allow it to dry.

The next 3 days the brickbat layer was filled up with water to check for seepage again and also to remove the impurities that are in the brickbat layer. This helps the final top URP layer to get into every pore of the brickbat thus creating a solid and impenetrable waterproofed top layer.
Attached Thumbnails
Home Improvement - Waterproofing Your Roof-dsc028761600.jpg  

Home Improvement - Waterproofing Your Roof-dsc028771600.jpg  

Home Improvement - Waterproofing Your Roof-dsc028781600.jpg  

Home Improvement - Waterproofing Your Roof-dsc028751600.jpg  

kevinephraim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2010, 14:09   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Second, the waterproofing. We had a lot of leaks before, and very little since. the trouble is that there are cracks in the concrete and, although they apply silicon sealant to these, it is not a permanent cure, and has to be reapplied. Of course, if once there are cracks in concrete, there always seem to be more, so any paint surface is going to be subject to breaking.
My experience is as follows
1. If the base concrete of the roof is porous then no amount of patching helps in long term.
2. What a Civil Engineer told me is either get the roof vibrated thoroughly during pouring, or do the following
. Scrape all the surfacing on the terrace.
. Apply sealant at high pressure to penetrate any micro cracks
. Coat the terrace with a layer of flexible water proofing material - bitumen.
. Cover with brick bats and cement slurry to prevent bitumen from decomposing in sun.
This treatment would last at least forty years.

Else pour 10-15cm lean concrete mixed with waterproofing compounds, properly compacted, to have a permanent solution. Compacting would ensure that all micro cracks in the original roof are filled up with cement slurry of the concrete.
Old 21st December 2010, 15:19   #19
BHPian

After 3 days of being soaked in water and allowing all micro impurities to come out of the brickwork the slurry of sand cement and URP was layered on top of the brickbat.

A pipe that was fitted after the house was built - which was passing over the old tiling was cropped and shifted little lower and brought in level with the brickbat layer so as to cover it up also completely. The slopes were adjusted through out the terrace to make sure all the water flowed always to the drain trap.

The final layer was a slurry of only cement and URP which was laid and brushed over to give the final finish.

This was allowed to dry and presently water is being filled up on top to check for leaks again and also for curing the final layers.
Attached Thumbnails
Home Improvement - Waterproofing Your Roof-dsc029261600.jpg  

Home Improvement - Waterproofing Your Roof-dsc029271600.jpg  

Home Improvement - Waterproofing Your Roof-dsc029281600.jpg  

Home Improvement - Waterproofing Your Roof-dsc029211600.jpg  

Home Improvement - Waterproofing Your Roof-dsc029311600.jpg  

Home Improvement - Waterproofing Your Roof-dsc029331600.jpg  

Home Improvement - Waterproofing Your Roof-dsc029341600.jpg  

Old 21st December 2010, 15:40   #20
BHPian

The final pictures of the present condition.

This watering will continue till tomorrow.

Now we can only wait for the Rains again to check if there is any leakage, because as of now all seems to be well!
Attached Thumbnails
Home Improvement - Waterproofing Your Roof-dsc029941600.jpg  

Home Improvement - Waterproofing Your Roof-dsc029951600.jpg  

Home Improvement - Waterproofing Your Roof-dsc029961600.jpg  

Home Improvement - Waterproofing Your Roof-dsc029971600.jpg  

Home Improvement - Waterproofing Your Roof-dsc029981600.jpg  

Home Improvement - Waterproofing Your Roof-dsc030001600.jpg  

Home Improvement - Waterproofing Your Roof-dsc030011600.jpg  

Old 21st December 2010, 17:35   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Aroy, you are right, patching will never work, at least not for long. Even if some less-than-perfect method is used, it must, at the very least, cover the entire area.

It is amazing and educational to see how the roof should be covered. Thank you, kevinephraim, for your descriptions and photos
Old 22nd December 2010, 18:37   #22
BHPian

what does URP stand for ? I have never seen this kind of roofing in chennai what people here do is just cover the concrete slab with a mix ( small brick bat with lime stone powder along with water then put it on the slab for half feet and let it dry then fix the kerala Tiles with the help of cement on the Brickbat. Is there any alternate advanced technology followed in western countries?
Old 23rd December 2010, 06:37   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Aroy, you are right, patching will never work, at least not for long. Even if some less-than-perfect method is used, it must, at the very least, cover the entire area.

It is amazing and educational to see how the roof should be covered. Thank you, kevinephraim, for your descriptions and photos
@Thad E Ginathom and Aroy, Thank you for your inputs too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaprakash View Post
what does URP stand for ? I have never seen this kind of roofing in chennai what people here do is just cover the concrete slab with a mix ( small brick bat with lime stone powder along with water then put it on the slab for half feet and let it dry then fix the kerala Tiles with the help of cement on the Brickbat. Is there any alternate advanced technology followed in western countries?
@sathyaprakash: For further info on the types of waterproofing liquids, please check this link DR.FIXIT - Waterproofing Products or search on google.
The methods used can be very different depending on how much you are willing to spend and what exactly is the problem with the present waterproofing or surface you have. I would assume the method you have described is more conducive to places where there is sloped roofing.
Old 23rd December 2010, 06:46   #24
BHPian

Sound Proof Ceiling

Hi kevinephraim,

Sorry for deviating from the topic ( water proof to sound proof ) as i am not sure whether we can open a new thread for sound proof ceiling for apartments .

I am staying in a 10 year old apartment and my upstairs neighbors wear their shoes ( high heels ) constantly in the apartment, and clomp around right above my head in the bedroom till mid-night. Unfortunately they are not taking this as an issue at all and i can't vacate because it's my own flat

Google god gives lot of options ( vinyl barrier etc.... ) but all are based on U.S structures.

Would like to know is there a way we can do a sound proof ceiling

Team-bhpians need your help in this regard
Old 23rd December 2010, 07:26   #25
BHPian

Re: Sound Proof Ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull76 View Post
Hi kevinephraim,

Sorry for deviating from the topic ( water proof to sound proof ) as i am not sure whether we can open a new thread for sound proof ceiling for apartments .
I am staying in a 10 year old apartment and my upstairs neighbors wear their shoes ( high heels ) constantly in the apartment, and clomp around right above my head in the bedroom till mid-night. Unfortunately they are not taking this as an issue at all and i can't vacate because it's my own flat
Google god gives lot of options ( vinyl barrier etc.... ) but all are based on U.S structures.
Would like to know is there a way we can do a sound proof ceiling

Team-bhpians need your help in this regard
Seagull76,

I am sure the mods may not have an objection to starting a new thread for sound proofing. You could try, else there is no harm in continuing this thread.

Your basic need is to reduce the clackety clack from the heels of the lady upstairs, so i guess you have 3 options:

1. Go and speak to her directly, and then in case of no help try the society committee secretary / chairperson to speak to her etc.. (I guess you have already tried this, and no avail.)

2. See the below suggestions by Guite regarding XPS / thermocole. I was also told about thermocole or glass wool layer inside a POP front for a false ceiling. Reduce Airflow, Reduce the Sound One trick that is used to cut down on the transmission of sound is to reduce airflow. Think of the room that you want quieter as having air flowing into it from the outside.
You will also need to think of additional costs other than just the false ceiling, such as wiring and lighting which will need re-structuring etc.

3. Invest in a good pair of ear plugs / soft in-ear headphones. I am being serious. I am not joking or reducing the seriousness of the matter. It may be the best and cheapest solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Kevin,
If you have not covered up (finished)your terrace yet, you can consider laying extruded polystyrene insulation boards. This will shoot up your cost but will give you very good thermal insulation. Its a light weight material like thermocol, but don't try using thermocol.
Guite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Extruded polysterene (XPS) and thermocole are in reality two totally different materials, both physically and chemically. There are XPS boards specially designed for terrace application which can take the load of people walking on top of it. Just try walking on thermocole sheet. And remember you will be applying mortar and some tile finish, etc on top of it. When the thermocole gives way, the top finish will crack. Moreover thermocole may not behave very well in cyclical hot cold cycles.
There is a big advantage in putting insulation on top of slab because you are stoping heat and cold before it gets in.
Old 23rd December 2010, 10:52   #26
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sound Proof Ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull76 View Post
This as unfortunate situation, which could be sorted out mutually.
1. Try to explain to them that the noise created by heals is disturbing your sleep.
2. (in a lighter vein) In case they are adamant, why don't you present them with a carpet/durry so that they can walk on it.
3. Any sort of false ceiling would help deaden the noise. If your room height permits get a 15-20cm false ceiling installed. If you do so please ensure that the whole society knows that you spent a large amount because of boorishness and insensitivity of your neighbours. In my opinion community pressure can do wonders where all else fails.
Old 24th December 2010, 00:00   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaprakash View Post
Is there any alternate advanced technology followed in western countries?
I think India is better at flat roofs than UK is. There, they are regarded with a great deal of suspicion, which is often justified.
Old 5th January 2011, 17:52   #28
BHPian

Very Informative thread.

I had never seen some one doing such sort of work in kerala (where its supposed to rain for at least 6 months + in a year). Just a plastering on top of 4.5 inch thick concrete is what I have seen.

Will present the idea to my dad for the next house. Any update on the heat reduction after the work?

The leak in my house after 30+ Yrs i think is due to the usage of lime (30 Yrs back Cement was in shortage and was available only through permits and dad used a mix of cement + Lime as bonding agent)

eagely waiting for further updates on this thread

George V
Old 6th January 2011, 10:29   #29
Senior - BHPian

[quote=pvgeorge;2198316
The leak in my house after 30+ Yrs i think is due to the usage of lime (30 Yrs back Cement was in shortage and was available only through permits and dad used a mix of cement + Lime as bonding agent)

eagely waiting for further updates on this thread

George V[/quote]
George, lime has been used as a cement for over two thousand years, hence it should not deteriorate. All cements, whether the normal one or the traditional one using lime and ash, harden with time. The advantage of the normal cement is that it does so very fast (3-4 weeks for 90% strength). Leaks occur due to internal cracking of the cements; due to heat generated; (happens when you do not cool it properly after laying) which enlarge with time.

Cement, once it is mixed with water has an exothermic reaction, hence next time you lay concrete ensure that is is cooled adequately. Normally four or five days of either water bath or sacks soaked regularly are enough. The thicker the concrete layer the more critical cooling requirements. This also applies to cement covering of walls.
Old 6th January 2011, 11:15   #30
Senior - BHPian

The overhead tank of my apartment block (capacity 10,000 litres) has developed a leak. Water is seeping through the bottom and in to the stairwell. There is also a slight seepage from one side. The ceiling of the tank has also corroded and needs re-plastering.

A mason who came to see the damage wants five days to repair it. Basically plastering has to be chipped off from all sides, bottom and top, after which re-plastering needs to be done with water-proof cement, according to him.

As secretary,supply of water for those five days is going to be a problem for me. Basically we have to supply water to 8 apartments by extending a very long tube from the opposite block. Is there any faster way to do this job?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks