Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2013, 14:43   #61
BHPian

Metro Vs Second Tier City

If you live in Dombivali and commute by train to work, then I think it would be worth to go to Nashik or even Kashi.

We lived in Mumbai for close to 10 years. Of which 2 years in Dombivali. I studied engineering at rural side of Maharashtra and came back to Mumbai for job.
The first decision after 1 year into job was to quit job in Mumbai and get to sea life. Apart from liking of sea life and possibility of making decent money inspite of working with hands in oil and grease, avoiding crazy life of Mumbai was biggest thing for me.

Next move, we all shifted to smaller city. In past 13 years have lived at Kokan, Kolhapur and Pune for various reasons. And can sure tell you that all these small places are equally happening.

These may not be cheap. In fact kokan is way too expensive for daily needs like vegetables and fruits. But peace of life is a thing that one can not compare with any material gain. Had spent 4 yrs of childhood at Nashik and as I remember the city has one of the best weather in Maharashtra. Quality of Education wise I think now it is at par Mumbai.

If you are an extrovert kind of guy, you would easily find good company of friends in new place. Nashik with 3 industrial estates nearby is not a small place.

If you job requires you travelling often, you might be at disadvantage. I had to fly in /out of India every 4 months and only gateway was Mumbai as all the places I was living at then, did not have connectivity. Shut down of Kingfisher red has made it even worse now.

In short shifting to tier 2,3 4 and smaller cities makes sense if you measure quality of life over quantity of life. From economic sense alone, it depends on whether what you are being offered compensate for the additional stress and complications of relocation.

Most Viewed