Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2005, 16:52   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12
I dont know if its legal or not, bt driving in the city (with street lights and oncoming traffic) with high beam is a nuisance. I use it only on the highway or when there are no street lights or if there is no oncoming traffic.

yeah this what even i do ...and i used the high beam to overtake this slow moving car and i am caught!!!!!!!!
Old 27th December 2005, 17:48   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpriest
Someone needs to tell this to Hyderabadis. Night driving in that city is the stuff nightmares are made of. People just refuse to use the low-beam no matter what.

Cheers
I will second that mate! In fact till I hit this thread I used to think I am always the nut here who pays for being so conscious about others And my friends think so to. Somehow Hyderabadis have this woefully crazy attitude of driving with their Hi-Beam and blinding everyone coming from the opposite direction.

In this aspect I found a nice departure from the most unexpected of quarters. The truckers, the most inconsiderate drivers on Indian roads! If I feel blinded I just have to flash the headlights once and immediately the headlights go down (in most cases). Its those car wallahs who do not give a damn no matter how frantically you flash. They just keep coming...
Old 27th December 2005, 18:02   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo
In this aspect I found a nice departure from the most unexpected of quarters. The truckers, the most inconsiderate drivers on Indian roads! If I feel blinded I just have to flash the headlights once and immediately the headlights go down (in most cases). ..
I have had similar experiences with truck drivers, especially on the highways. From my limited highway driving experience, I can say that they are some of the most well mannered drivers on the highways.
Old 27th December 2005, 18:03   #19
Senior - BHPian

Its the same here in Bangalore too most of the people don't care about the other traffic on the road.
Old 27th December 2005, 18:04   #20
BANNED

Hey,

As far as Mumbai is concerned there is no such rule. I asked the RTO officer and even he said there is no such rule. You can check out http://www.trafficpolicemumbai.org/index.html the web site for Mumbai Traffic Police where a lot of commonly asked rules are mentioned. You can even ask them for a clarification via the feedback form. You should get a reply within 24 hours(at least I did).

I am sure all states/cities will have their respective websites from where you can check the rules applicable to the place you are in.

Viper

Last edited by viper : 27th December 2005 at 18:05.
Old 27th December 2005, 18:24   #21
BHPian

I have been caught five years ago for using High beam while I was in bangalore, but even then i was aware that using high beam unnecessarily in city is not legal.
You see lot of sign boards which talk about using low beam in city.
I normally drive in lowbeam or park lights in the city where therez enuf light and only use high beam when i cant see or someone forces me to use high beam.
But I wud recommend using high beam on highway because normally u r at a certain speed and relaxed and u neva know even if therez an elephant in the middle of the road. Use low beam when someone else comes in the opposite side.

Regarding the seatbelt, I think the cops are no more enforcing the seat belt stuff.. However I cant even move my car out of the shed without wearing a seatbelt. I feel very uncomfortable.
Old 27th December 2005, 18:29   #22
Senior - BHPian

Illegal or not, it is not right. two-wheeler riders and other car drivers will find it very difficult to see properly if you come barreling at them with lights on high beam.

Anyway, there is so much city lighting that high beams are not at all neccesary in the city.

Its a different story on poorly-lit highways, but I feel that at least on well-lit highways, we can use low-beam and just flash the lights whenver needed.
Old 27th December 2005, 19:30   #23
BHPian

I completely agree with other posters here who say that this is a real problem in Bangalore, with many drivers driving with high beams on within the city. Even if you blink from the opposite side, they just do not understand that I am telling them to use low beam. Extremely annoying and I have seen this enough in Bangalore.

Nothing against you Satya, but clearly, use your fog lamps (you shall spot the potholes a lot better ) and use low beam in city. I am glad police is taking some action. The awareness level is pretty low.

I disagree with the police who told you that wearing seatbelts is not compulsory in Bangalore. I have been caught by a traffic surgeon in the month of June for not wearing seat belts and had to pay a fine of Rs 100/-. I was told it is compulsory for front seats. Since then, I always wear seat belts.
Old 27th December 2005, 21:15   #24
BHPian

for some strange reason, the rule regarding seat belts in bangalore is that people travelling in pre 1994 vehicles do not have to wear seat belts.
high beams in city conditions are illegal.
Old 27th December 2005, 22:48   #25
cnu
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper
As far as Mumbai is concerned there is no such rule. I asked the RTO officer and even he said there is no such rule. You can check out http://www.trafficpolicemumbai.org/index.html the web site for Mumbai Traffic Police where a lot of commonly asked rules are mentioned. You can even ask them for a clarification via the feedback form. You should get a reply within 24 hours(at least I did).

I am sure all states/cities will have their respective websites from where you can check the rules applicable to the place you are in.
Just to clarify, the rules we are talking about are part of the Indian Motor Vehicles Act which is common for all states. Its only that some states do not follow/enforce certain rules for various reasons. Hence they do not publish or create awareness about those rules that they do not follow. Mumbai police may be doing the same and hence there is no awareness about the rule among the RTO folks themselves.
Old 27th December 2005, 22:51   #26
BHPian

I guess we shoudnt compare the seat belts and the high beam. Seat belts.. are primarily for the safety of the driver/passengers in the car.. But high beam can put someone on the road in trouble as well.
Really nice to know that the police are actually taking action against vehicles with high beam. No offence meant.. anyone..
Talking abt this.. compared to Hyd / Blr, ppl in Chennai are no better either. Cab drivers who drive as though they were waiting to get into F1 zip on the roads with their high beams on. Wish someone teaches them the basics once again.
Old 27th December 2005, 23:18   #27
SLK
Senior - BHPian

The rule applies to delhi aswell but hardly ever followed. Cops don't seem to care... all they look for is 50+km/h.

Somehow more than 2/3rd of the people using high beams drive a Santro!... (just something I observed .... nothing official about it)
Old 27th December 2005, 23:46   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
guys ,
i was caught yesterday night by bangalore traffic police for "saaar you are driving full beamooo...so please give 100 rupeeesoooo....walso your car fraaaam MH...."

he says driving without seat belts is naat an offence but driving with high beam is...and he says that on the highways you are allowed to use high beam....

so please advise

please see my sig.

I am so annoyed while driving at night. more than half the people have their lights up. WHat for?

please pass on the message to as many people as possible to drive with their lights dimm.

it will help save many accidents and help drive better.
Old 27th December 2005, 23:53   #29
Senior - BHPian

yes bro on some roads driving with high beam is not allowed in bangalore.. and driving without seatbelt is an offence.. Highbeam also they fine you if the lights you are using is an aftermarket high power one like 130/100 something.. but this is the first time i have heard some one getting fined for that.
Old 28th December 2005, 01:34   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo
In this aspect I found a nice departure from the most unexpected of quarters. The truckers, the most inconsiderate drivers on Indian roads!
Whats surprising about that? They spend the most time on highways, and mostly at night - they would know how dangerous it is to be blinded, and also how tiring it is to keep peering at the road through the barrage of high beams that morons on the roads carry around like status symbols.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil
If i had my way i would shoot the freakin guys headlights off.
Tell me about it....I've lost count of the number of times I've deliberately stopped in front of such idiots to give them a piece of my mind and a few choice words. I've considered fixing multiple tracer-beam type lamps on my vehicles just to blind such idiots, but then I realised I would be no better than such low life scum.

Last edited by Steeroid : 28th December 2005 at 01:38.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks