Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2005, 14:46   #1
BHPian

Baleno - Warranty Void???

Hi All,
Finally, Booked my Baleno Lxi yesterday and was talking to the sales manager about modifications, I was shocked when he told me the following:

1. Warranty void if I put any other alloys apart from Aura.

2. Warranty void if I put any other headlight bulb apart from the OE one.

I request all Baleno owners to help me out on this one. The dealor concerned is Pratham motors.
Old 27th December 2005, 14:53   #2
Max
BHPian

contact maruti limited to justify dealer claims !
Old 27th December 2005, 15:17   #3
BHPian

#1 sounds idiotic.
#2 maybe but I am not sure...
as said above contact Maruti office there and other people who have bought from this guy.
Old 27th December 2005, 15:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

Dont heed them

Do whatever you want. They told me not to buy and music player from outside, and i had to do with a lazy Maruti Casette player for 5,000 bucks.. but now i have upgraded to Sony MP3 from outside, and my Warranty is not void.
Old 27th December 2005, 15:35   #5
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

well according to the rule book they say its illegal to put anything on the car like alloys,music system,lights etc etc which are not OE.. And any such mods can disrupt ur warranty.. But again it depends on how good one is able to negotiate with the service agents, try to knock some sence into them or rather ask them the disadvantages of putting in a new set of alloys etc .. See if it makes sence and one can always carry on from there..

As a matter of fact by putting non OE alloys the warranty on suspension could be void, but going on to say that even ur electrical and other things which arent in any case realated to tyres and its immediate effects is plain daylight robbery ..

I even heard that installing a music system with wires other than OE would even void ur warranty on mechanical parts like brakes, clutch, suspension etc etc ( which is plain stupidity) .. I havent till date faced any such problem and my dealer has rectified all my problems without a hitch..
Old 27th December 2005, 15:41   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandman
Do they deal only with Aura alloys? Maruti people here has got only Aura alloys.

Checked with a dealer, whether warranty would get void, if the tyres and wheel size was upgraded. Came a funny reply " warranty would be covered expect for wheels and tyres".
Old 27th December 2005, 15:41   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandman
Hi All,
Finally, Booked my Baleno Lxi yesterday and was talking to the sales manager about modifications, I was shocked when he told me the following:

2. Warranty void if I put any other headlight bulb apart from the OE one.

I request all Baleno owners to help me out on this one. The dealor concerned is Pratham motors.

I can help you here with a slightly better insight. Let us assume that you put a set of alloy wheels. It doesnt change the warranty of the car, regardless of what they say. However, let us also assume for some reason, your suspension gets shot, while the car is in warranty- Maruti Udyog will conveniently blame your alloys and try to charge you. You can ofcourse fight this.
Similarly, we once had a case where a Kenwood deck was fit in a Ford Ikon. It was clipped and put as there was no original harness, but it was a good job, soldered and insulated.
A month after this, one day the car failed. Turns out some "chip" in the ignition system had failed and needed to be replaced. The "chip" cost 30,000/- and the service station claimed that as he had "tampered" with the electricals of the car(by fitting a deck), the electrical warranty was void and he would have to pay!
Of course the customer went mad with fury and threatened to go to consumer court blah blah and they replaced it for him free at the end, a few days later.
See my point?
Old 27th December 2005, 15:51   #8
BHPian

Islandman,
I dunno abt Maruti dealers but other dealers sure don't forbid you from fitting alloys. In fact the Hyundai dealership at my place have an arrangement with a local Bridgestone/Aura dealership to come and fit alloys/tyres on newly delivered cars at the car showroom. And they even advise us on upsizes, tyre brands, etc. and warranty is not at all mentioned.

About the headlight bulb, I have no idea...better consult with the company itself.
Old 27th December 2005, 18:00   #9
Team-BHP Support

I am not sure whether you can actually scoff this issue off so easily. The fact is what was told to Islandman is actually true, albeit in parts. If you switch to a different set of wheels then any future problem in the suspensions or steering assembly or brakes may not be attended to under the warranty.

The Aura wheels bcoz Aura has now tied up with most Indian car manufacturers as OEM for after-market fittment. There also lies a catch. The wheels have to come from the dealer. If you think you can get your Aura from outside and save a packet you will find that the exact same model (not design but the model which will have a unique ID/part no.) is not available outside.

The same is true for electrical accessories also. The reason is that when they replace a part under warranty they have to send it back for inspection to claim the cost from the manufacturer. The manufacturer will throw a fit if it happens to be a non-validated accessory.

However having one stray accessory can not void the entire car's warranty for sure.

Last edited by Zappo : 27th December 2005 at 18:01.
Old 27th December 2005, 18:14   #10
Senior - BHPian

I have league after market alloys and sfter market tyres (goodyear Eagle NCT 5 185/65 R 14) in my Baleno..got a front strut already changed under warranty

Last edited by Buffetfan : 27th December 2005 at 18:22.
Old 27th December 2005, 18:25   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay
#1 sounds idiotic.
The reasoning is that aura alloys have been caliberated for the cast , camber and the suspension and other alloy's may weigh differently.
Old 27th December 2005, 19:58   #12
Team-BHP Support

Hi Islandman,

Regarding the alloys - If you get a set other than aura, i really wouldnt be worried as long as it had the same offset, PCD, rim width and diameter being offered by aura for the baleno. Naturally the sevice centers have to make rules like this because if some monkey goes and puts 18" rims with spacers and totally wrong offset on his baleno it would DEFINITELY have an adverse effect on his bearings, suspension etc.

For the bulbs- Same principle, just make sure that the wattage is the same (probably 55/60w) and you should be in the clear. However, make sure you buy a trustable brand because if you dont, the bulbs could be wasting more energy making heat instead of light.

Be nice, speak to the manager, explain that you understand the logic of this (not to mention your couzin who owns a tire shop and has this perfect set of baleno alloys for you at 50% discount ) and get his word / or in writing that it shouldnt affect your warranty. Or, just take a calculated risk and do it.

cya
R
Old 27th December 2005, 20:48   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

dont put 90/100w headlight bulbs they will damage the beam and fade it + might damage your wiring if you dont use additional relay.my indica's beams are damaged i used 140/130w bulbs.
Old 27th December 2005, 21:06   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman
my indica's beams are damaged i used 140/130w bulbs.
No suprise there buddy!!

90/100 is not bad. I have them on my car, but i wired them myself with a seperate relay and some hardcore wires. However, i have seen melted connectors on cars with 90/100 too....

cya
R
Old 27th December 2005, 22:45   #15
Team-BHP Support

I was using 90/100 on my indica from day one. Used them for 1.5 years, no fading. Then I moved to 130/110 Philips original Rally lamps. There was some melting in the sockets where bulbs go, so I reverted back to 100/90. So I guess 130/110 is overkill but 100/90 is good. Have used that combination in Santro/Indigo/Indica/Gypsy/M800/118NE without any side effects

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks