Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2011, 10:59   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Is Infosys really moving out of Bangalore?

i am not a big fan of Infosys (the management I mean). they try very hard to brainwash the general public that they are the best thing that has happened to India. sometime back I came across a new story pitching NRN to be a presidential candidate, etc. To me, Infosys is no different from real-estate labour contractors that get people from poorer states into metros to work on large scale construction projects. it is exactly the same business principle - would I have any respect and admiration for a business that is based on labour arbitrage alone? I must admit, their PR effort is admirable.
Old 21st January 2011, 11:01   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
Could be true, but what is really sad is that a company that has not only put Bangalore but India on the world map has to struggle to get the right attention and resources. For years all EC companies had to put up with pathetic roads and infrastructure. The elevated highway is done but still the drainage maybe lacking big time. I think smaller places especially mysore and Mangalore should get a chance to develop, maybe even cities outside karnataka for the govt to wake up. Whatever said and done, Gujarat is showing the other states what actual development and focus on the state is all about!

Gujrat always had the money and space in the state to expand, unlike Bangalore. Bangalore only concentrated on IT and once the world economy struggled Bangalore struggled. people in Bangalore saw real estate as the only bussiness to pump in money and now with no money everything is stagnated.

Pramod
Old 21st January 2011, 11:07   #18
mgh
BHPian

Businesses do not like to be in states where there is a no holds barred fights between the ruling party and the opposition, because the word of the government holds no value.
They prefer states like Gujarat, where there is no opposition to speak of or Tamil Nadu, where both the main parties are business friendly.
Until the political situation in Karnataka changes, Karnataka based companies will prefer to expand outside the state.
Old 21st January 2011, 11:26   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Gujrat always had the money and space in the state to expand, unlike Bangalore.
I believe Karnataka has much better resources then Gujarat, except a good sea port. Its the vision and leadership that's lacking.

Coming to Infosys, if one looks at the amount of real estate they have managed to amass over the years it boggles the mind. Maybe we will see a Real Estate Company named Sysofni soon.
Old 21st January 2011, 11:36   #20
Senior - BHPian

I do not think it is going to happen.
And if it happens actually then also I won't be surprised. Bangalore needs to cool off a bit. Normal people cannot really afford to live here anymore. Some correction is long overdue. Thanks to a CM who is more interested in clinging to power no matter what, to hell with other things like Bangalore, that might happen sooner than we think.
Old 21st January 2011, 11:39   #21
BANNED

Enough of Agriculture land being utilized for IT purpose. This is the prime reason for Karnataka Govt hesitating to give land.

I am yet to come across an IT guy whose dream is to join 'Infosys'! Why is it so??! Attrition rate in Infy is too high. They better go out from here to smaller cities and recruit people who will actually be 'happy' joining Infy.
Old 21st January 2011, 11:52   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
I believe Karnataka has much better resources then Gujarat, except a good sea port..

Not true, I believe you have seen the Guj roads before you say that. The only reason Bangalore developed was better educated manpower down south. The state of Gujarat has always had the best roads in the country. You have more cars in Bangalore but no roads to drive them. the roads are a mess even during good summer time. Lot of population concentrated in a small place, unlike Gujarat. Yes the port has definitely helped, but Gujarat always had heavy industries and its share of refineries unlike Bangalore. You are right when you say leadership plays an important role, bangalore and hyderabad had seen development only during S M Krishna's and Naidu's time.

Pramod
Old 21st January 2011, 11:58   #23
BHPian

Infy has completed construction of huge campus to accomadate around 4k people at Gatkesar,Hyderabad neighbouring singapore city and Raheja Mindspace. they had got the land during YSR regime . The Buzz is they will start operations in next 3-6 months time
Old 21st January 2011, 12:06   #24
MCR
BHPian

Defenitely something to do with the real estate and blackmail politics. If one remembers there was a open spat concerning the real estate between infy and a former PM of India
Old 21st January 2011, 12:10   #25
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

i believe there is another clip on CNBC which says that Infy is definitely going ahead with the Sarjapur road campus. so much conflicting information!

but it is true that K'taka is now becoming a victim of its own frankenstein - IT.
it is always good to have a balance across different industry categories rather than focus on just one.
also - there is a very real danger the way that agricultural land across India is being converted and plotted out for residential and commercial purposes. One of India's great strengths has been food production and if things go in this way, that position may well change - which could also cause the costs of living and inflation to rise to frightening levels!
whats the answer in a situation like this?
Old 21st January 2011, 12:15   #26
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

on a different note there was an article that Mrs NRN regularly cross checks how much she is being paid for a public appearance/ event.

at the same time they are touted as being selfless and saintly and frugal and simple and so on and so forth.

trouble with our system is that we idolize people to a hugely exaggerated extent whilst ignoring their human foibles. once those human foibles become public then we revile them with equal gusto!

I also read somewhere that NRN and team have given a huge grant to some US institution or other. By contrast it seems that the little village school where NRN studied looks like it is steadily progressing down the path to rack and ruin - going by a photograph of it that I saw in a recent article in the press.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
i am not a big fan of Infosys (the management I mean). they try very hard to brainwash the general public that they are the best thing that has happened to India. sometime back I came across a new story pitching NRN to be a presidential candidate, etc. To me, Infosys is no different from real-estate labour contractors that get people from poorer states into metros to work on large scale construction projects. it is exactly the same business principle - would I have any respect and admiration for a business that is based on labour arbitrage alone? I must admit, their PR effort is admirable.
Old 21st January 2011, 12:16   #27
Senior - BHPian

Here is the link which I mentioned in my earlier post http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/cnb...ty_509883.html

Last edited by tj123 : 21st January 2011 at 12:16. Reason: typo
Old 21st January 2011, 12:19   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Bangalore and Hyderabad had seen development only during S M Krishna's and Naidu's time.

Their regimes also saw the highest number of farmer suicides, which is why they were booted out by the people of their respective states.

PS: I lived at Bangalore from 2000 to 2005.

Last edited by Gansan : 21st January 2011 at 12:21.
Old 21st January 2011, 12:28   #29
Team-BHP Support

If this is true, I'll be really happy. There is no point having every major IT company in one city. Why not spread across the country, spread the job opportunities rural or small towns. IT companies can operate in smaller towns, I know that from personal experience. It is even easier for large companies. Even attrition can come down a lot when you hire local talent at smaller places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I am sure that these issues would be faced by all IT companies in Bangalore. Then why is only Infy making noise ?
Because Infosys always wants more land. I hear they have 4000+ acres of land all across India. I wonder if any RE company has that much land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Poor old lady of faded greatness - the lovely town of Mysore - she has been living in anticipation for the last few years of her second chance to come back to fame.
But it looks increasingly like she has been passed over and left on the shelf in favour of the newer glitzy model of Pune as it were!
Be thankful. Last month I was in Mysore for couple days. It felt so good driving around Mysore, felt like 80s Bangalore with modern cars. Mysore doesn't need to be messed up like Bangalore. There is only kind of urban growth in India, the unplanned kind. No need to subject Mysore to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
Could be true, but what is really sad is that a company that has not only put Bangalore but India on the world map has to struggle to get the right attention and resources.
Can Infy's greed for land be ever satiated? Agreed, the Karnataka government has no time to do anything useful, they are swimming in scams all the time. But the largest land owning IT company doesn't deserve any more. How many more villages have to be destroyed?

Quote:
i am not a big fan of Infosys (the management I mean). they try very hard to brainwash the general public that they are the best thing that has happened to India. sometime back I came across a new story pitching NRN to be a presidential candidate, etc.
Their PR machinery is the best in the country. They never let bad press happen to them. Only the Phaneesh Murthy scandal (because it was in USA), and the Deve Gowda's attack (he is too visible to ignore) ever made it to paper.
Old 21st January 2011, 12:29   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
If at all Infy wants to move out of Bangalore, why not set an example by setting up their HQ in a tier-2 city like Mysore ?
Infy has around 330 acres of land in Mysore and hardly half the land is developed. In what is developed, they have cricket stadium (Indian cricket team practiced here before a tour), 3 screen multiplex (only for inmates), swimming, bowling, synthetic track, etc. Plenty of land at their disposal.
Quote:
sometime back I came across a new story pitching NRN to be a presidential candidate, etc....
It might be a coincidence that a building in Mysore campus is shaped like Rashtrapati Bhavan

BTW, from what I read, they are not moving out of Bangalore, but expanding further in Pune.

Last edited by msdivy : 21st January 2011 at 12:37.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks