Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2011, 17:48   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Crisis in Egypt : Is India also headed in that direction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykaul View Post
Loved it.

But guess what -- we again need Independence
OT.

Sir Winston made this statement in the House of Commons just before the independence. Isn't it true?

"Power will go to the hands of rascals,rogues and freebooters. All Indian leaders will be of low calibre and men of straw.They will have sweet tongues and silly hearts.They will fight among themselves for power and will be lost in political squabbles"

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 8th February 2011 at 17:49.
Old 8th February 2011, 19:15   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
OT.

Sir Winston made this statement in the House of Commons just before the independence. Isn't it true?

"Power will go to the hands of rascals,rogues and freebooters. All Indian leaders will be of low calibre and men of straw.They will have sweet tongues and silly hearts.They will fight among themselves for power and will be lost in political squabbles"
Yes but that's just a co-incidence. He was just trying to justify queen's rule.
Old 8th February 2011, 20:44   #78
BHPian

While I appreciate the people's will I can't help but be skeptical of what would happen if Mubarak goes. I wonder if anyone has noticed radical elements in the form of the Muslim Brotherhood coming to the front line to usurp power in the event that Mubarak steps down.

Egypt has been one of the most liberal middle eastern countries with religious fundamentalism kept under control. I wonder if the people (especially the youth who are protesting so vociferously) are aware of what could be in store for them should such radical elements take control.

In my opinion, the middle east is just not ready for democracy unless they separate state and religion. If they don't, they are resigned to be ruled either by a> a dictator (american installed or otherwise) or b> radical elements. These are seemingly the ONLY ways in which these countries are ruled.

This is just a thought i.e. the people of Egypt are at least able to protest en masse against corruption and oppression under the current regime. I wonder how many such protests can take place against oppression in Iran.

W.r.t India, at least we have some form of democracy and can register our protest. I appreciate the folks who formed our country and their vision to have brought forth what we enjoy today when we could have ended up much worse just after independence.
Old 9th February 2011, 01:06   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
Yes but that's just a co-incidence. He was just trying to justify queen's rule.
But am sure we haven't done anything to discredit him either!
Old 9th February 2011, 12:27   #80
Senior - BHPian

I do not hink TBHP is the right place to discuss this topic because:

It involves politics.
It sometime requires strong language.
It often requires humour.
It requires an open unrestricted forum.
Old 10th February 2011, 09:17   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
I do not hink TBHP is the right place to discuss this topic because:

It involves politics.
It sometime requires strong language.
It often requires humour.
It requires an open unrestricted forum.
this goes beyond politics, it affects people's daily lives. We need an unrestricted forum here, seriously
Old 10th February 2011, 12:02   #82
Senior - BHPian

+1 to milecruncher.

Looks like the crisis is taking time to resolve but look what our politicians have got here. A great gift in the form of another gapla!! Kudos for giving two consecutive terms and am sure the next time when someone goes to vote do not do it for religion, caste, free tv, Rs2 rice, dal wheat or whatever. Do it for India. Do it with a sense of pride. I do not care if its a coalation of N number of parties but make sure your candidate is clean.

We need leaders, Not cheats, scamsters, puppets, psuedo 40 yr old youth!! We need a person who knows what he is talking and is willing to work and strive for the country. After all Bhagat singh, bose and all other freedom fighters did not give their life for no reason. Justify it!

PS: I do not want our country to head into anarchy. But i also do not want a banana republic
Old 10th February 2011, 12:32   #83
Senior - BHPian

Maddy may I add only if you find your name in voting list and get a chance to vote.
I am staying at my current location for past 10 years before every election like a responsible citizen I took half day leave to deposit form 6 with every required document in BBMP office but I never find my name in electoral list.
I have acknowledgement recipet of form 6 as well and my address in not changed still I never find my name included . After initial list is out I stood in queue to file objection also but I met the same deff year , The glitch in process is someone (??) needs to visit my place of residence and verify and this someone never comes.

Political parties are interested in getting their vote banks included so their functionaries ensure that voters in slums and even Bangladeshi migrants are registered. But they know very well that an honest professional will never have time to spend more then few half days to file forms.

The reason is not difficult to understand no political party wants voters like us who are aware and also The son of soil sentiments are too strong at lower level of officialdom.

Indian population profile is changing fast but politicians are not ever wondered why ?

In my childhood in the text books we used to write India lives in villages , This is no longer true 40% of India is now urban / semi urban as per official estimates , If you take in to account seasonal migrant laborers and urbanised villages this figure will go high up to 45% may be ( just a guesstimate). Largest chunk of GDP in India is from services.

Profile of population has changed but not the profile of voters so politicians still try to placate the vote bank which can vote and not the silent masses which will become majority in another 10 years. But still politicians do not worry about this vote bank

Latest example of this son of soil approcah is new farman of karnataka government , They want Ration card or an electricity bill to validate that gas connection is not bogus.

They claim there are 1.2 million families where as 1.6 million connections.
This does not take in to account the possibility that .4 million axre actually new families who have valid passports , PAN cards , Bank Accounts , Telephones etc but are not son of soil enough to get ration cards. They are the one who pay tax but should not claim benefits.

As a concession they have included RR number of electricity bill instead of ration card knowing fully well that floating population can be eliminated this way.
Old 10th February 2011, 20:43   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
man u must hate/dislike Jewish and Israeli people.
Nope that would be Mr. Mel Gibson who said and I quote

"Jews...the Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world."

Hate is such a wasteful emotion and to generalise is plain unfair.
What I hate and many would agree when it comes to themselves, and which is evident from my posts is some handful of people doing everything and blaming a particular community/tribe for it. And this is picked up by people all around the globe nowadays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
the next time when someone goes to vote do not do it for religion, caste, free tv, Rs2 rice, dal wheat or whatever. Do it for India. Do it with a sense of pride. I do not care if its a coalation of N number of parties but make sure your candidate is clean.

We need leaders, Not cheats, scamsters, puppets, psuedo 40 yr old youth!! We need a person who knows what he is talking and is willing to work and strive for the country.
Maddy, I understand, but the good ones are silenced before they can go to election. Threats, beatings and sometimes death even. There are good people but they can be counted on finger tips.
About 2 kgs rice and TV etc. in a minority locality in BLR, during the last election, an opposition party (current) candidate got elected due to the same tactics. 2KGs rice, Dal, money etc etc. Even when 'responsible' people of the locality asked them not to fall into the trap of money etc etc and go by constitution and think for upliftment etc etc. people did not care. I am not saying who is bad and good, all are bad no one is bothers including the public themselves. Election is just become a routine.
One of the minority leaders also came to my door to beg for votes and I promised that I would vote. When I went downstairs I could see the leader driving around in a white Lexus LP something. huh! It seems only keyboard warriors are concerned about the country and the rest have assumed that there is no hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Maddy may I add only if you find your name in voting list and get a chance to vote.
Excellent point! Forget common public even movie stars (Ramya ?) did not find their names in the voters list. There were many people in my office last time who went to vote taking time off from personal/office work and returned frustrated. This voter list system also needs change.

Last edited by bblost : 10th February 2011 at 21:05. Reason: Offensive language even if used indirectly is not allowed. Thanks.
Old 10th February 2011, 22:44   #85
Senior - BHPian

amitk26: Understand your problem. You should try Janagraha. They had a campaign running where they help your name come on the list. Well my dad got all our families names on the list. You should see the pictures and names which they have written on the cards. People look older then they are and names are given in random!!

@Prince Pervez: Well understand what your saying man. One mannina magas son who claims everyone is corrupt, has a hummer.
Old 11th February 2011, 00:04   #86
BHPian

It is clear from all the comments that every person here wants change, however they are willing to live in denial because they simply dont know how to make it right.

It seems, the so called educated people only went to school to memorize the book and pass an exam. They were obviously not educated about their rights, and lack innovation.
Old 11th February 2011, 11:07   #87
Team-BHP Support

Note from mod: Thread mummified because discussion here is steering towards strongly political and religious. such discussions are not allowed on Team-BHP

Last edited by tsk1979 : 11th February 2011 at 11:08.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks