Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2006, 22:01   #1
BHPian

Where, How Street Racing Started ?

So where and how the street racing started? i heard it was all started at tucson that is in southern california what is the real story?
Old 5th January 2006, 00:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

Ans perfectly suited for the type of question -
centuries ago ,... they used to race bullock carts in india think thats were it all started...now i cant really tell if they started racing bullocks first or horses..or donkeys ??!!??
anyways man learnt how to put horses inside metal bodies and how to feed them...they kept racing in the meanwhile..
Old 5th January 2006, 01:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

First off, Tucson is in Arizona.

Street racing began when the hot-rod culture exploded. Everyone with a quick car was out to prove it, and this took to the streets. To curb what then became a menace, the NHRA was formed, and such activities were officially moved to disused airstrips, and then dragstips. Unofficially, well...
Old 5th January 2006, 04:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

I think it is carried on officially at the salt plains. THere is no realy date for unofficial street racing but legal street racing started somewhere in the early 90's
Old 5th January 2006, 14:57   #5
Senior - BHPian

If it's legal, it's not street racing. The classes called Street and Pro Street are still carried out on dragstrips.
Old 5th January 2006, 22:01   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
First off, Tucson is in Arizona.

Street racing began when the hot-rod culture exploded. Everyone with a quick car was out to prove it, and this took to the streets. To curb what then became a menace, the NHRA was formed, and such activities were officially moved to disused airstrips, and then dragstips. Unofficially, well...
Thats what i had heard tucson was the place where it all started. Yes am talking about illegal street racing. Does anybody knows any site where there is whole article about the birth and history of illegal street racing?
Old 5th January 2006, 22:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

i dont get how you can ..trace the origin of street racing ..
a man is competitive..he raced horses ,he raced on foot ,when cars were made he raced his friend on the streets ... this could have started a hundred years ago ..maybe even on steam powered cars/carts .. even when there were no traffic rules and now that there are rule ,we term it illegal street racing ...

Most Viewed