Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2011, 06:55   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Trekking Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
In one of the links you have posted saw the Wild Places of Karnataka - dreamroutes.org mentioned which was helpful for me.
That explains it. It was not on this thread. That is why I got confused.
Yes that is a good link. It taught about places like Devrayanadurga and Channarayanadurga.

PS: Obviously first mention about these places was BHP (Thanks to rk_sans).
Old 13th April 2011, 10:23   #32
BHPian

i do short and long treks almost every 2 months in north india, so if any one is interested in teaming up then most welcome, infact this weekend i am planning a small one as well.
give me a pm/call and we can team up.
Old 13th April 2011, 12:16   #33
Senior - BHPian

I have purchased the following things in anticipation of the Zanskar river trek next year.

1. Quechua Poncho What I have realised is that the poncho will cover my head, my bag pack nicely but in case of heavy rains with wind, it will not save my knee and below from rain.

2. Quechua 500 Shoes : Excellent quality and pretty light weight. Apparently they are water resistant too, yet to try them though. But one thing is that they are much better than woodlands for a trek.

3. Stikage S-178 Sleeping bag :I bought it as 2nd hand, but it has not been used at all. Looks very comfortable and the comfort rating is -10 degrees. Now have to try it out. Hopefully soon.

Some of the things to buy in my list are

1. floor mat
2. bag pack- app 50 ltrs
3. monkey cap

Regards
Old 13th April 2011, 12:38   #34
BHPian

Great thread! subscribing immediately
I am a regular trekker around karnataka, and have also done a himalayan trek.
will try to post details about my treks soon.
Old 15th April 2011, 22:07   #35
Team-BHP Support

Last updated was a walk (and not a trek, as it would be inappropriate to call it one) to Huliyurdurga and Hemagiri Betta.

Here are some snaps.

On the Magadi Road
The Trekking Thread-img_1298.jpg

A snap "stop"
The Trekking Thread-img_1304.jpg

Line of Power : On the way to the top.
The Trekking Thread-img_1359.jpg

Huliyur Durga Monolith
The Trekking Thread-img_1378.jpg

At top. Did not expect this colour!
The Trekking Thread-img_1397.jpg
Old 15th June 2011, 09:29   #36
Team-BHP Support

Another place to visit in the wee hours of dawn. is the hill temple of Devarayanadurga and its surroundings.
This make for a fantastic early morning weekend drive, to catch the sunrise at the place.

The drive itself is not tiring. The only bad part is getting onto Tumkur road. The elevation profile analysis of this place is also kind of interesting.
Looks like the UB city tower!

The Trekking Thread-ddhils.png

You should be there before sunrise. When I reached, it was breaking dawn at the base and then the mist hit us so hard, that we
could not catch any sunrise but for certain streaks of sun rays like the one below.

The Trekking Thread-img_2376_modified.jpg

The temple surroundings form an ideal location for landscape photography with nice elevations, generous dash of green and beautiful cloudscapes.
One a clear day, it would be perfect.
The Trekking Thread-img_2452_modified.jpg
The Trekking Thread-img_2447_modified.jpg

And no landscape can be complete without a water body. There are many untouched lakes near the hillocks.
If you search for one you would get ten! Like this one which we found next to the road.
The Trekking Thread-img_2499_modified.jpg

Soak in the fresh air, emerald greenery, a nice country side drive and then finally end it by digging into a nice morning breakfast at Kamat/Barrista at Dobbaspet!
You can be back by 11.
Old 19th June 2011, 17:26   #37
BHPian

@ampere - Nice photos, ampere bhai. Thanks for starting this thread. This thread will be one of the most useful threads to me in tbhp.
An update from my side:
Me along with my friends will be going on a trek from Ponmudi near Trivandrum to Ambasamudram in Tamilnadu and returning to Pandipothu near Bonacaud, Trivandrum. The trek is scheduled in the last week of July. It will be a 3 to 4 days trek through thick and interior jungle. We will be accompanied by forest guards. I will update the thread once the trek is complete.
Old 19th June 2011, 18:27   #38
Team-BHP Support

Great to know that Nutty! And I for sure know that your camera will do the full justice to the trek. One place which I would like to cover either as trek or as stay is the Thenmala side with the dam included. Any info related to that region?
Old 19th June 2011, 18:33   #39
Team-BHP Support

Hey Ampere, how about you make a plan for a trek? A trek-a-t-bhp meet sort of a thing.
Old 19th June 2011, 23:09   #40
Team-BHP Support

@libran,

As I said earlier, I am just the follower! The experts here are Addy and many many more!
I just soak in the fun. You can drive directly to DD Hills. Nothing like a trek, but a good weekend location. Makes for a good sunrise.

But for real trek, you need an expert to plan. I am nowhere close.
Old 20th June 2011, 11:22   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty Nair View Post
An update from my side:
Me along with my friends will be going on a trek from Ponmudi near Trivandrum to Ambasamudram in Tamilnadu and returning to Pandipothu near Bonacaud, Trivandrum. The trek is scheduled in the last week of July. It will be a 3 to 4 days trek through thick and interior jungle. We will be accompanied by forest guards. I will update the thread once the trek is complete.
Thats cool. Have a nice and safe trek and come back with lots of snaps

I will be going on a monsoon trek in the sharavathy valley coming weekend. This will be my second monsoon trek, and the first one in the same area was one of my most favorite treks till now. So really looking forward to it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Hey Ampere, how about you make a plan for a trek? A trek-a-t-bhp meet sort of a thing.
Thats a great idea! would be nice fun.
Lets hope some more members respond here, and we can make it happen!
Old 24th June 2011, 22:33   #42
BHPian

@figo united - Thanks for the wishes and my best wishes for your trek too. Did you have your camera with you for the earlier monsoon trek? Did it rain during the trek and were you able to take pics?
Old 24th June 2011, 23:47   #43
Senior - BHPian

@Deky : You sure about the trek? Already have partners or looking for one? Let me know and maybe I can trek along.
Old 25th June 2011, 12:57   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
@Deky : You sure about the trek? Already have partners or looking for one? Let me know and maybe I can trek along.
Hi,

I was sure about the trek till May2011, but then I got selected for the Kailash Mansarovar yatra in July (via MEA) so will do that.

The Chadder Trek now seems highly doubtful in January 2012, but if it does not happen in 2012, I will certainly do it in 2013.

I have no partners, would definitely love to have you come along and other like minded people. Ladhak in Jan would be a totally different experience

Regards
Old 27th June 2011, 12:22   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty Nair View Post
@figo united - Thanks for the wishes and my best wishes for your trek too. Did you have your camera with you for the earlier monsoon trek? Did it rain during the trek and were you able to take pics?
Yes, I did have my cam with me and took lot of snaps during my earlier monsoon trek.
Just back from my second monsoon trek. This time, couldn't take too many since it was almost always raining very heavily!

Here are some pics of the first one last year. Will post snaps/details of this weekend's trek soon.

The Trekking Thread-img_5925.jpg

The Trekking Thread-img_5993.jpg

The Trekking Thread-img_5989.jpg

The Trekking Thread-img_5964.jpg

The Trekking Thread-dsc07396.jpg

The Trekking Thread-dsc07311.jpg

The Trekking Thread-img_6056.jpg

The Trekking Thread-img_6125.jpg

The Trekking Thread-dsc07496.jpg

The Trekking Thread-img_6162.jpg

Last edited by figo_united : 27th June 2011 at 12:28.
figo_united is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks