Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2011, 02:11   #1
Senior - BHPian

Team-BHP and our wives

Has your wife ever felt that team-bhp is that other woman in your life? Has she ever told you she is jealous of how much time you dedicate to the forum?

Many of us are married. Many of us have 2 wives. I am referring to our cars here.
If you have the above 2, the fact that you are reading this means you have a 3rd wife too, and thats team-bhp.

I access the forum from home and spend hours together reading and now posting on various threads, loving each and every minute of it. On the other hand my wife isnt to pleased and wished i would spend more time with her. So ever so often i do get an earful and then quickly log off only to keep thinking about the forum somewhere in the back of my head. Just itching to log on again. In short i am ADDICTED to team bhp.

So wanted to know from fellow bhpian husbands whether they face the same situation? How do tackle it? What do you do when the going gets tough? Do you access team-bhp from home or only from the office?

How do you balance this very delicate situation?
mdsaab is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th February 2011, 07:11   #2
BHPian

re: Team-BHP and our wives

@mdsaab

Very valid and tricky point.

BOSS is going to be displeased wherever you access team-bhp, either wify or nify.

Few tips (or is it tricks) to balance these delicate situation
1. In office try and engage boss on auto information topics.
2. If you can subsequently get him to register on team-bhp ... you won
3. In home try encouraging wify not to miss fav TV show
4. Bribe her
5. More bribe her with promise of driving lessons and/or a car of her own and/or a new car etc.

Cheers
sanagg1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2011, 09:18   #3
Team-BHP Support

Well, when my wife wants my full attention, she calls me AJMAT!

When nothing gets done, it is, "you are busy surfing on t-bhp"

I have to explain that I am doing a social service in keeping India's motoring masses informed
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2011, 09:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

Such a valid Topic, for many of us. I get threatened with Divorce every time my wife sees the Black Page up on my Mac. :-)
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2011, 09:50   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Very interesting topic. I face the same situation too. Being a newly married couple, she is tolerating me at the max. She broke out yesterday. When I reached home, first thing i did was took the laptop and opened tbhp. She thought I was showing her the resorts that we plan to go next month. When she saw tbhp, she kept asking why do you want to spend so much time on this?

So, the thing I did was showed some interesting threads on shopping found on tbhp and she was cool. When it comes to cars, she backs out at that very second.

I access tbhp the very sec I finish checking my mails and assigning the work to my team. Then it's all tbhp. Then after lunch, and after tea. Get back home, have a small bite then back to tbhp.

What I usually do is take my laptop, tell my wife that am checking my mails, open a browser with tbhp. When she is around, I take thunderbird and act as if am drafting a mail.

God - Hope she is not around checking this thread.

But in short, she knows am into tbhp and she likes that since am getting to do something that I just love.!!! CARS.! So both of us are happy, kind of.! Although, she aint 100% happy
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2011, 09:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

My wife was rather indifferent about it, till junior also became an avid reader and started to answer her in monosyllables while being engrossed on the screen! And it piques her further when on long drives, he sees different cars on the road and starts prattling on automobile subjects endlessly, excluding her. She says it just is not normal behavior for kids and it is all because of me!
Gansan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2011, 10:25   #7
Senior - BHPian

My wife pokes me every time I start my laptop during weekends knowing that I would be browsing through the forum. On weekdays though I tend to use my work time partly to check the forum and am satisfied with that. At home I got an ally in my son when I try to show him similar pics of the toys he has but on laptop and in forum.
So right now its two versus one and no tantrums from wifey.
ghodlur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2011, 10:29   #8
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Whenever I'm on lappy nowadays, wife will be surprised if I'm not online on T-BHP. She's got used to it now but gets pissed off when I access the site through my BB. She considers this as the third wife, second being my GTX
Old 25th February 2011, 10:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

Identical scenario at my house too. But i guess she is either putting up with this or has given up on this.

When on long drives and each time i take a pic of only the car, she goes " here you go again - just to put some pics on t-Bhp".

Each weekend, when i open the laptop, she does suspect that i am spending hours on this site. I normally open on XL file and one PPT and do "Alt+Tab" quickly when i sense she is coming around.

Come to think of it, she is glad that i dont sleep off in the afternoons on the weekend.

I have attempted to make here go through some travelogues, but all those efforts were futile.
Old 25th February 2011, 11:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

two things that can make or mar your connexion with tBHP - Wifi and Wifey.
some facts here noted for my benefit:
1. while girls grow into women, boys only grow into bigger boys
2. when kids play with their cars they at least put them away after a while, what to do with tbhp, it always at the back of the head. in case of vacations in remote areas without internet access, it manifests by way of photos taken for travelogues

Last edited by selfdrive : 25th February 2011 at 11:13. Reason: formatting
Old 25th February 2011, 11:22   #11
Senior - BHPian

Team-Bhp (Biwi hogayi parayi).

This was told by a fellow T-Bhpian's wife to me recently during a dinner meet.
Old 25th February 2011, 11:40   #12
Team-BHP Support

Err, I am not yet married,* but this thread isn't helping either

It will be a tough act to balance M'cycles/Cars/T-Bhp and family along with work.

Gosh, how much we guys work.

*will be in a year or two.
Old 25th February 2011, 11:43   #13
Team-BHP Support

Read amazing advice on this forum, long back. I am sorry I don't remember who wrote it. So sorry about that.

Browse team-bhp in office.
Do office work at home.

This way wife feels that you are so busy with all the extra work you are doing. If manager objects to browsing team-bhp instead of working. Get him/ her hooked onto team-bhp. Problem solved.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2011, 11:56   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
My wife pokes me every time I start my laptop during weekends knowing that I would be browsing through the forum. On weekdays though I tend to use my work time partly to check the forum and am satisfied with that. At home I got an ally in my son when I try to show him similar pics of the toys he has but on laptop and in forum.
So right now its two versus one and no tantrums from wifey.
I am using the same strategy to get my daily dose of T-Bhp. My 5 year son has now started asking me "Which new photos have been posted on the site"? So we nowadays play a game wherein i show him the pics and he tries to pick up the toy car from his collection closely matching the snap. This way wifey is also ok as she also gets free time and she is in the minority
But this has a side effect wherein now my son has started asking for more toy cars for his collection
Old 25th February 2011, 12:01   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
When on long drives and each time i take a pic of only the car, she goes " here you go again - just to put some pics on t-Bhp".
Same here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
1. while girls grow into women, boys only grow into bigger boys
2. in case of vacations in remote areas without internet access, it manifests by way of photos taken for travelogues
Again, can't agree more to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Team-Bhp (Biwi hogayi parayi).

My wife has got used to it. Initially she resented that I spent so much time reading through this forum. But I made her read some travelogue by sending her links on gtalk during office and then slowly she got hooked into it, though she doesn't read it regularly.
She has started respecting the forum for it's genuiness, authencity and the help that fellow TBHPians offer to others, particularly after our some long road trips where fellow TBHPians inputs an help have helped us to have memorable and happy holidays.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks