an issue that does not concern me. 10 3.92%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2011, 21:47   #91
BHPian

Re: Beggars at Traffic Lights: Your Views on the Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiaturbo View Post
All of us on this thread should thank GOD for everything we have and not sit on our fancy computers and in our a/c rooms disscussing beggers and what a menace they are. Thank your stars that you are not the one on the other side of the window.I dont know about everyone here but its ok to give whatever you can, we are no one to judge under what circumstances they are here and begging .You are on a signal for less than 2 minutes in your A\C car with music and shades on and you are grumbling that they are bothering you ??? Please everybody think again.
I'm on your side friend.

People who are lucky can sometimes get over finicky.

I do offer coins sometimes. Not to attain Instant Nirvana or wash away my sins (Yes I am a Sinner)

We all know that there is organised racket behind begging but if we are OK spending Rs 100 on a coffee why not take the risk of Rs 5?
Old 19th March 2011, 22:32   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
We all know that there is organised racket behind begging but if we are OK spending Rs 100 on a coffee why not take the risk of Rs 5?
When we talk about a racket, the Rs. 5 spent does not go to the hands being given to. It goes to the ring leader. So your/my kind heartedness is buying someone's next ride, not feeding a mouth.
Old 20th March 2011, 03:51   #93
BHPian

Even though this thread is for traffic light beggers, let me tell you my experience while travelling in a train. I usually never give anything to beggers (out of some principle). One day I was approached by two children (an older girl dragging / carrying her younger brother ?). She started begging, I turned away indifferently. Then she she started crying saying that she and her brother were humgry and want some food. Out of sympathy I searched my bag and found two bars of peanut candy and offered them. To my surpise she refused....!!! even as her younger brother was eyeing the candy bar. She said she wanted only money. I felt offended. I finally put one cady bar in her brother's hand and shooed them away. No doubt someone else was collecting the money. If they were really hungry they should have taken the food and eaten it straight away. So pathetic...
Old 20th March 2011, 08:39   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
When we talk about a racket, the Rs. 5 spent does not go to the hands being given to. It goes to the ring leader. So your/my kind heartedness is buying someone's next ride, not feeding a mouth.
Yesi agree to it, and the way they are minting money, he could soon end up buying an Audi Q7 or so and end up on team BHP thanking us for sponsoring his ride

And the best part i am slowly starting to notice these days (In Pimpri) is they no longer bother to ask the bikers, they only target the people in cars, i think they understand that a person who can afford to drive a car in such rising fuel prices must really be rich
Old 20th March 2011, 11:18   #95
Senior - BHPian

It surely is a menace. I make it a point that I do not give alms to these people..couple of them whom I asked why don't you work and earn money for your leaving..they did not answer and just turned away to others..Along with beggers is a menace of 'chakkas" will also come calling at traffic signals asking for alms and they hae such a audicity that if they are not gien money, they will scold us there itself. Unfortunately, the policemen are also hand in glove to these people as they will get their cut daily...:(
Old 20th March 2011, 19:39   #96
BHPian

I voted for (A) "A menace for us as motorists, and should be banned". Still, I agree that some of these beggars are "unfortunate people who deserve our compassion and support". But gone are the days when the needy begged. Begging has now become a business and the sooner people understand that the better.

By giving Rs 10 to that small child you are destroying his future as the more he earns for his bosses the more he will be forced to beg, He will also establish in his mind that earning money requires no hard work. Because motorists distribute money at signals many small children are kidnapped, handicapped and forced to beg.

So people just when you are about to give the beggar that "Only Rs 10" think about whether it will do well to him or not.

In today's scenario it will do no good! That said the money you give him will reach some local goon.

All the people interested in learning more about this please watch the movie ”Traffic signal” You will be shocked when you find out the truth. And in my case AWARE!

Last edited by Technocrat : 20th March 2011 at 21:40. Reason: Deleted Duplicate content
Old 20th March 2011, 20:50   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post

There was a documentary on NDTV on this where they said there were 25000 eunuchs in the 70-80s. Now there are lakhs of them. They cannot reproduce. They way they harass is really sad.
People who travel through the BEL signal will agree upon that. I have to go through this signal to reach college everyday and every time I dread seeing the red light. As I approach the intersection, there is always a prayer on my lips asking for a green light. I have faced all sort of harassment, right from mother-sister abuses to the key pulled off from my bike. More than once, they have taken off the key and walked away.Its only after you part with a good ten bucks, you get the key back. And once the key was pulled and stuffed in their you know where.
Old 20th March 2011, 22:20   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Its only after you part with a good ten bucks, you get the key back. And once the key was pulled and stuffed in their you know where.
OMG! walking off with your bike key, this is by far the worst i have ever heard! Shocking!

I mean i know this problem is worsening but looks like these guys have crossed their limits. All fellow Bhpians please drive with your windows shut near signals. And all bikers may god help us!
Old 21st March 2011, 01:14   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
People who travel through the BEL signal will agree upon that. I have to go through this signal to reach college everyday and every time I dread seeing the red light. As I approach the intersection, there is always a prayer on my lips asking for a green light. I have faced all sort of harassment, right from mother-sister abuses to the key pulled off from my bike. More than once, they have taken off the key and walked away.Its only after you part with a good ten bucks, you get the key back. And once the key was pulled and stuffed in their you know where.
OMG, that would be the worst situation to be in ,Feel sorry for you. and i pray that it should not happen to any one.

I've seen some beggars who will continously keep knocking the window till the time u give them money which irritates me
Old 21st March 2011, 14:08   #100
BANNED

Bangalore has seen many with babies- and there was an article that they can "Rent" Babies! If someone is unaware of the REAL picture- see a movie called "Traffic Signal" which throws light over the scene behind. Not that all are gangs, but most are systematically robbing. Sad to see kids being trained to do this :(
Old 21st March 2011, 15:03   #101

Yesterday, i spotted a beggar talking on his "cell phone"... yes, cellular phone... in JP Nagar, near Apple store signal, i tried to take a picture, but unfortunately it was shaken... well. i parked my car at the hotel Cable car, and went to take more pics, i found the old man was busy begging.... did wait for abt 5-10 mins... but he was @ "WORK"..

thats why my vote goes for its a menace and should be a banned..
Old 21st March 2011, 16:37   #102
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kl_kumar View Post
Yesterday, i spotted a beggar talking on his "cell phone"... yes, cellular phone... in JP Nagar, near Apple store signal, i tried to take a picture, but unfortunately it was shaken... well. i parked my car at the hotel Cable car, and went to take more pics, i found the old man was busy begging.... did wait for abt 5-10 mins... but he was @ "WORK"..

thats why my vote goes for its a menace and should be a banned..
Man- that would have been the pic of the century for sure. Maybe you can visit the same signal and this time have the camera ready
Old 21st March 2011, 17:13   #103
BHPian

I do not have an issue with them, i roll down the windows and given them five rupees (or any spare coins, i keep in the ashtray). I think from a civic sense, yes we can all sit and discuss. But the ground reality is that its a morbid reality that is growing and growing rather fast. call me naive, but I look upon it as a sense of goodwill and move on.

However, the persons i have an issue with are the hawkers at the signals. The reasons why these people (in most cases its children selling cotton earbuds, orange cotton washcloths, hairpins etc..) are dangerous is that when people purchase, a lot of money/ bargaining happens and this tends to lock the traffic, especially when the light turns green and the child is fumbling for change for a 100 rupee note given by a driver.
Old 21st March 2011, 17:17   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
I'm on your side friend.

People who are lucky can sometimes get over finicky.

I do offer coins sometimes. Not to attain Instant Nirvana or wash away my sins (Yes I am a Sinner)

I agree with you guys too.
Old 21st March 2011, 17:56   #105
BHPian

Begging is an easy way to escape the law of nature. Remember that no-one came to this world with stuffs in his hands. They came nude.
They came and earned stuffs.

These beggars wants a short cut to survive.

I was washing my car once when one middle-aged man knocked at the gate. Lookin at his getup I thought he might be looking out for an address. Upon asking , I came to know he was a beggar ..

I told him to clean my car and I'll pay him 50 bucks.
He immediately disappeared with a lousy expression.

Most Viewed